The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 13, 2017, 09:58 PM   #26
Armybrat

Looks like the OP did a good job.

My son's ex-MIL carried three handguns when she rode her Harley. One in a saddlebag and two concealed somewhere on her person (I didn't ask about specific locations).

My wife has never fired a gun in her life even though she was raised in a Texas household with guns. She "tolerates" my collection though (as if it really mattered if she didn't ).

This is the S&W Model 36 I bought her mother after an incident where she used a Titan .25 to scare off a late night intruder when she was about 80 years old. (I didn't know she even owned a gun, much less a little pot metal .25). My son now owns grandma's .38 Special...

Old December 16, 2017, 03:26 AM   #27
Ibmikey

“Concealed” should be just what the word implies, I know several persons who intentionally carry in such a manner that a sharp eye will notice the firearm. I on the other hand have carried concealed since joining a police department forty five years ago, in all that time I have never been confronted about carrying a pistol. If the weapon is properly carried it will be well concealed yet afford you the opportunity to produce the weapon quickly in time to address a situation.
Old December 16, 2017, 02:01 PM   #28
cw308

I bought a toilet seat with cover from Home Depot , hung it on the wall in my man cave , has a picture of my mother in law in the center . Cover stays closed . Great Picture Frame , Need I Say More .
Old December 16, 2017, 02:35 PM   #29
briandg

My mother in law is full bore bonkers. She couldn't spell ammo. I do my very best not to get involved with her during christmas, i'd wind up getting toe socks to keep my feet warm when I'm out hunting "those things that I shoot at."

I curse the day that I moved back to the home town so my wife could be closer to her mother.
Old December 16, 2017, 03:24 PM   #30
UncleEd

When it comes to Christmas, birthday, any day gifts
I remind people that if I wanted it I already have it
and if I don't have it I don't want it.

Or tell them you're bonkers for Western style
Stetson hats that start around $800 and go
up. No, nothing in a cheaper range, thank you.
Old December 16, 2017, 04:27 PM   #31
ThomasT

Quote:
I bought a toilet seat with cover from Home Depot , hung it on the wall in my man cave , has a picture of my mother in law in the center . Cover stays closed . Great Picture Frame , Need I Say More .
Thats funny right there.
Old December 17, 2017, 01:25 AM   #32
hemiram

If I want to get my sister to hang up the phone, or stop texting me, all I need to do is mention, or send a pic of my latest gun. She instantly shuts down. It really annoys her, as she is totally anti gun. When I sent her a pic of my AR, she went totally off the deep end. She sent me an email of a totally nonsensical article where the author confused auto and semi-auto, and basically was as clueless as she could have been. When I mocked the article, she got very quiet for a while.
Old December 17, 2017, 03:05 AM   #33
armoredman

All parents on both sides of the equation are long deceased, no in laws of any stripe. However, my father in law, who I never met, was a shooter and carried a 38SW revolver for SD back in the day, so making an "ammo" request would have been no problem.
If you wanted to get rid of her, good job.
Old December 17, 2017, 03:32 AM   #34
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
I will never understand that mindset. I shoot and carry and I'm automatically an evil-doer? I don't get it.
I think part of it is a resistance to accepting the fact that there are nasty aspects of life.
I think if you recognise that someone carrying a gun is a valid answer to the potential risks that exist in life, you accept that those risks are real to you too and that is something many can't handle.

I recently opened a thread about a debate I had with a friend and his closing comment was that only the army should have firearms: no firearms in society = no one hurting anybody else.
It essentially denies the fact that you can't legislate the risks out of living.
Old December 17, 2017, 11:18 AM   #35
briandg

A cop in Memphis was beaten to death with his own flashlight. One of the bad guys later back shot a swat officer.

No guns needed to cause mayhem.

Apparently she never cut her finger with a kitchen k ice or hit her thumb with a hammer, and I must assume that nobody ever ran into her car while running a light.
Old December 18, 2017, 12:15 PM   #36
jr24

Wish that would work on my MIL.
Old December 20, 2017, 07:41 PM   #37
Phoenix54c

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemiram
If I want to get my sister to hang up the phone, or stop texting me, all I need to do is mention, or send a pic of my latest gun.
Yup, same here, but that's my sister, so it's my duty and right to annoy her as often as possible for 'lols'. Gun convos at work are no-go--I'm at work to work, not to discuss politics or anything else.

I'd be happy to discuss gun rights in a social circle, but rarely do. It's just not something most people (on either side) can have a sane, polite discussion about. The labor involved in speaking to someone who doesn't have the ears to listen to another point of view just isn't worth the oxygen I'd use up...
Old January 1, 2018, 08:23 AM   #38
Oldman11

My mil was so mean she did not need a gun,a look was all it took. She’s been gone since 1968,I really miss the old girl.
Old January 1, 2018, 03:58 PM   #39
Danoobie

OA, I feel for you. Your M-I-L has been well indoctrinated by the media.

My ex used to act that way, till she felt threatened, then she'd be
"You got your gun on you?...".