The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 17, 2001, 03:17 AM   #1
striderteen

Beretta M93R

How rare is this pistol? I've only ever seen the airsoft version, although I know there's a real one out there somewhere.
Old December 17, 2001, 05:24 AM   #2
MUNK

It's pretty darn rare. The Beretta 93 is the full auto version of the 92.
Old December 17, 2001, 07:13 AM   #3
striderteen

Yeah...AFAIK, it has a slightly stretched barrel (the tube sticks out about an inch beyond the slide), a flip-down forward handgrip, and a stretched trigger guard. It's designed so you can hook your left thumb through the trigger guard as well and hold the foregrip that way...sounds damn clumsy to me.
Old December 17, 2001, 08:41 AM   #4
bobby_lori

Actually it is not clumsy at all. You do fold the lever down and hook your thumb through the guard, but there is more to it. It comes with an extended mag that has a notch on it. It is for a detachable shoulder stock. Put it all togather and you have a mini subgun. The 93R has a selector swithc for semi, 3 shot burst and full auto. The extended barel is ported to help on muzzle rise. The 93R is more controlable than the Glock 18.
Old December 17, 2001, 03:42 PM   #5
.357SIG

The 93R only works in semi and 3-round burst. There is no FA position. There are a few transferrable units out there, but they cost over $15K. Most of the other ones are floating around as post-86 DS.
Old December 17, 2001, 04:18 PM   #6
Daedalus

Robocop used a Beretta 93.
Old December 17, 2001, 05:09 PM   #7
Jake 98c/11b

As I understand it only two are fully transderable guns in the US. They were made by Stan Andrewski on Taurus frames but with Beretta parts. Post 86 guns are more common but there can't be one whole hell of a lot of them either.

I don't think the stock connects to the mag, I think it connects to the base of the grip frame. It has a safety and selector that seem backwards to me. What was the safety in the Taurus is now the selector, semi and three round burst. The safety is on the rear of the frame and is a small lever behind the selector above the tang.

Ported barrel to reduce the muzzle rise in auto, has to help tame the 1200+ RPM cyclic rate. One last problem, the burst controle mechanism is in the right hand grip pannel. Makes an already big gun even bigger in the grip, the gun is a single action only so at least you no longer have to worry about the impossibly long trigger pull in double action.
Old December 18, 2001, 02:17 AM   #8
Hkmp5sd

From what I remember, the gun in the RoboCop movie (along with the one in "Red Heat") were custom made Non-Firing (unless you count blanks) models.
Old December 18, 2001, 02:19 AM   #9
Hkmp5sd

93R

John Travolta used one of the 93R's in "Broken Arrow" if you want to see one in action.
Old December 20, 2001, 02:54 PM   #10
uzi4me

SOMEONE POST A PICTURE WILL YA ????
Old January 10, 2002, 06:34 AM   #11
striderteen

You can get one quite easily...if you're willing to settle for an airsoft replica of the real thing, that is.
Old January 10, 2002, 07:28 AM   #12
Oakleaf

I used a 93R on a military range in the mid 1980's.

It is essentially a 92 - with the mods already mentioned. This one was strictly semi or 3 shot burst.

From a fully braced position and really working hard on it, a burst on a figure 11 target at 10 yds printed - shot 1 right hip, shot 2 centre, shot 3 left shoulder.

Any lack of concentration/ effort and you were lucky to get one hit on target.

We ran it against Browning P35's in informal practical - it was fun, but demonstrated no practical use at all - unless you have a lot of 9mm ammo to get rid of.

Nothing above is intended to be judgmental.
Old January 11, 2002, 12:27 PM   #13
MLC

Robocop used a modified Beretta target pistol not the 93. Vituosity with Denzel Washington also featured the Beretta 93.
Old January 11, 2002, 02:27 PM   #14
striderteen

AFAIK, the "BFG-1" pistol used by Robocop is a M93R equipped with a fiberglass barrel extension and minor aesthetic modification.
Old January 12, 2002, 09:32 AM   #15
MLC

my bad

http://www.movieprop.com/tvandmovie/...robocopgun.htm
Old January 15, 2002, 05:53 PM   #16
Justin

A few weeks ago one of my roommates rented 'Hot Shots Part Deux.'
I was rather surprised at a part in the beginning.
Basically, the gag involved Saddam Hussein's mansion being infiltrated by some US special forces.
Saddam, groggy from sleep, and still wearing one of those eye-shade things, proceeds to grab what appear to be two (yes, 2!) Beretta 93r's, and then stumbles comedically about, tripping over furniture, and negligently discharging his handguns for a good 5 minutes.

Question is, were these real 93r's, or something else?
The front hand-grip wasn't folded down, but both pistols were compensated.
Could it have been a drop-in kit of some sort? I seem to recall reading an article a few years ago about a kit you could drop into a standard Beretta 92FS to convert it to full auto.
From there, they could have just stuck a couple of compensators on them.

Were those real 93R's? If so, the actor who portrayed Saddam got something of a cool treat, if you ask me.

As to the movie, it had some funny parts, but I don't think I'd buy it or anything.