The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 2, 2017, 08:58 AM   #26
Spats McGee
Staff

I'm one of those fellers who kind of enjoys cleaning my guns. That might not be true if I thought I had to clean every gun after every range trip until it was white-glove ready. If I have a "system" for cleaning guns, it's something like this:
1. My EDC guns (which go with me on virtually every range trip) get: (a) a periodic (weekly or semi-weekly) field strip, quick inspection and blast of compressed air to get the dust and lint out; and (b) actual (field strip) cleaning every ~500 rounds.
2. I actually do clean my "less frequent range companions" (guns that only go with me once or twice per year) after every range trip, since I don't know how long it will be before I actually get them back out again.
3. I try to get them all out at least once a year for an inspection & wipe-down.
Old January 2, 2017, 11:38 AM   #27
osbornk

I think many of us arre overly concerned with the need to keep our guns cleaned. I have guns from the 49s, 50s, 60s, and 70s that were left uncleaned in a dry secure place for decades and they still look and perform like they were cleaned frequently. As long as they are stored dry and secure with a little oil on them, I don't think it matters much. I inherited 2 shotguns from a cousin who acquired them in car trades at his dealership. He didn't clean them but simply put them in a closet for several decades. One was made in 1948 and the other was made in 1950. When I got them about 13 or 14 years ago, I shot them to make sure they shot OK before I cleaned them lightly and put them back in storage.
Old January 2, 2017, 11:45 AM   #28
Nathan

I don't mind gun cleaning, but they don't need cleaned all the time.

If you add lube at the lube points....just a drop....they will run safely and reliably for many 1000's of rounds between cleaning.

If you use BreakFree CLP or Weaponshield CLP, you will have no issues. Then annually, pay to clean them. I would charge you $40-$50 per gun, but a reliable 18 yr old would likely do them for $20-$30 per gun. I would have!