The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old November 19, 2015, 04:49 PM   #1
zero-tolerance

4473 "Delay"?

Been buying for years, never had an issue. Purchased a new long gun today and received first "delayed" response. I've bought 4 firearms in the last 2 months, which is more than usual, (usually buy about 4 times a year) could this be the reason for the delay?
Old November 19, 2015, 05:26 PM   #2
357 Python

A delay could mean just about anything. I was delayed once and the reason was that the system used by the state police was down. The next day everything was fine. Could buying 4 firearms in 2 months cause a delay? Maybe, depending on what types they were and where you are located. Most likely the system is temporarily overloaded and they need to catch up.
Old November 19, 2015, 05:36 PM   #3
zero-tolerance

Nothing exotic, 2 m&p shield. 9mm and .40, the new Century C308, and a 10/22 takedown.....well, the wait makes the zero sweeter!
Old November 19, 2015, 05:49 PM   #4
Kosh75287

Since I was fingerprinted for a job with the state, I've always been delayed on every purchase thereafter. But, I've never been DENIED authorization, either.

It could be something else, but I suspect that with me, it's b/c some state agency has my fingerprints on file (my working for them as a "good guy" not withstanding), and it raises all kinds of flags. I don't know the OP's background nor what may have changed recently in his life, but it might be something like what I am describing.

انجلو. المسلحة. جاهزة. Carpe SCOTCH!
Old November 19, 2015, 05:52 PM   #5
zero-tolerance

Thanks for the input fellas!
Old November 19, 2015, 07:52 PM   #6
Tom Servo
Staff

This question comes up quite often. We've had a few threads on it with more information.

The upshot is that a delay can be caused by any number of factors. Unless the buyer has been convicted of a disqualifying offense, it's nothing more than an aggravating wait.
Closed Thread