The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 23, 2014, 08:35 AM   #1
chickenmcnasty

Great Plains rifle questions

I am really thinking I need to add a gpr in .54 to my growing collection. I am leaning towards the slow twist barrel for roundball.
Does the gpr slow twist come drilled and tapped for the lyman tang sight? Is the front dovetail the same size as the lyman globe?
I would also appreciate any comments on group sizes that people are seeing with this setup at the 100 yd mark and beyond.
I know eventually I would like to add the hunter barrel in the mix as well to duplicate some awesome results I've been seeing done with paper patched bullets, but I would like to stay rb for now.
Old January 23, 2014, 10:47 AM   #2
Pahoo

There are differences.

I know there are differences on the generations of GP's. Don't know what you are eye-balling but if it's a new one, then I'd suggest contacting Lyman with this question. For instance, I have an older one that has the Hunter twist, Plumb-brown barrel and full-buckhorn. It is not drilled and tapped for a tang sight and if I ever want to want one, I will drill and tap it myself. Not hard to do. ....

Good luck and;
Be Safe !!!
Old January 23, 2014, 10:59 AM   #3
chickenmcnasty

Drilling and tapping sounds tough for a guy like me. Sometimes I have to think real hard about which end of the screwdriver to hold!
Old January 23, 2014, 11:10 AM   #4
Pahoo

Accepting one's limitations

Quote:
Sometimes I have to think real hard about which end of the screwdriver to hold!
We all have our limitations and most of the time, the problem is accepting what they are. ....

Quote:
The Great Plains Hunter model features a fast, 1 in 32" shallow groove rifled barrel. It's ideal for shooting the many types of modern projectiles available to today's black powder hunter, such as heavier conical bullets and sabots. The Great Plains Hunter has all of the high quality features of our Classic Great Plains rifle. It is also pre-drilled and tapped for the optional 57 GPR receiver sight for the Great Plains rifle.
Be Safe !!!
Old January 23, 2014, 11:28 AM   #5
mehavey

The lyman-57GPR is specifically-designed to fit both the angle and existing
screw holes in the Great Plains tang. Comes with the correct replacement
screws as well. Five-minute job max.
http://www.buffaloarms.com/Lyman_Rec....aspx?CAT=4070

I've got it on my own GP`54
(a marksmanship boon to aging eyes)

As to accuracy at 100 yards, I've only "patterned" it at 50 to establish load performance,
(See http://i39.tinypic.com/29yksxw.jpg )
but use it routinely at 9" wide bears -- 100 yds offhand -- at our silhouette matches.

Last edited by mehavey; January 23, 2014 at 12:32 PM.
Old January 23, 2014, 01:17 PM   #6
spitpatch

I see someone posted a 54 GPR on Armslist yesterday $300. If I didn't have a 50 and 54 I would be checking it out. I have had good luck both selling and buying on Armslist.
Old January 23, 2014, 03:03 PM   #7
chickenmcnasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitpatch View Post
I see someone posted a 54 GPR on Armslist yesterday $300. If I didn't have a 50 and 54 I would be checking it out. I have had good luck both selling and buying on Armslist.

I sent the seller a message but it has been deactivated! Someone beat me to it! Thank you for looking for me, I was almost there...
Old January 23, 2014, 03:54 PM   #8
chickenmcnasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehavey View Post
The lyman-57GPR is specifically-designed to fit both the angle and existing

screw holes in the Great Plains tang. Comes with the correct replacement

screws as well. Five-minute job max.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/Lyman_Rec....aspx?CAT=4070

I've got it on my own GP`54

(a marksmanship boon to aging eyes)

As to accuracy at 100 yards, I've only "patterned" it at 50 to establish load performance,

(See http://i39.tinypic.com/29yksxw.jpg )

but use it routinely at 9" wide bears -- 100 yds offhand -- at our silhouette matches.

That is such an awesome 50yd group. I'm very impressed with your attention to details and the end result
Old January 26, 2014, 07:41 PM   #9
chickenmcnasty

Can anyone tell me if the .50 hunter barrel would drop into the .54 rifle? I would love to have the .54 slow twist for roundball but would like to add the fast twist barrel at some point.
If not, are there good bullet/sabot options for the .54?
I don't know if there is anything similar to Ron's awesome 500 paper patching combo and I would love to have a hunter barrel for that in .50 if possible, but I don't want to buy 2 Great Plains rifles to make that happen!
Old January 26, 2014, 07:50 PM   #10
Hawg

They should interchange. About the only options for a conical in the .54 is a minie ball.
Old January 26, 2014, 08:22 PM   #11
Pahoo

Probably not !!

Quote:
Can anyone tell me if the .50 hunter barrel would drop into the .54 rifle?
No guaranties on this and you are going to have to do a little homework on it. Basically you have to compare the flats and I know that on the TC's they step up, on the 54's. Likely to run into a problem, on the tang as well ....

Be Safe !!!
Old January 26, 2014, 08:44 PM   #12
chickenmcnasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahoo View Post
No guaranties on this and you are going to have to do a little homework on it. Basically you have to compare the flats and I know that on the TC's they step up, on the 54's. Likely to run into a problem, on the tang as well ....

Be Safe !!!

I may try to call lyman and see. If I had a .50 fast twist and .54 slow twist I will be content for at least a month!
Old January 26, 2014, 09:11 PM   #13
Chestnut Forge

chicken

Both the .50 and .54 barrels are 15/16th across the flats.
Old January 27, 2014, 10:10 AM   #14
Pahoo

I'll say !!!

Quote:
I may try to call lyman and see. If I had a .50 fast twist and .54 slow twist I will be content for at least a month!
Who wouldn't and then some ....

Be Safe !!!
Old January 27, 2014, 11:52 AM   #15
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I've met over time a couple guys trying different barrel swaps on their traditional's. {That includes me too.} Like me most of those I met eventually went back to shooting primarily P/B. I guess its a faze we go through in trying to find something better, get bored, then go back to where we were is the usual outcome. No harm in your trying though. Just another one of those so called B/P learning experience's most go through.
Old January 27, 2014, 01:21 PM   #16
mehavey

Besides, a traditional sidelock shooting patched ball using iron sights into a single hole
at 50 yards -- right next to all those newfangled In-Lines with their scopes and razzle-dazzle
plastic saboted "bullets" having trouble hitting a barn door --

-- does have a certain...uh... caché.