The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 26, 2013, 03:06 PM   #26
haliwa04

I like to open carry for a few reasons 1)Deterrent before confrontation, although i am ready at a moments notice to use deadly force if necessary, thats why it's a full size, cocked and locked with 17 rounds behind the first 2)easier to get to, i dont want to have to risk digging in a pocket, or reaching for anything that would give me away before i'm ready to make my move 3) It suits me, people think i'm a cop. Example: a mom was having a hard time with her kids running in the grocery store, her solution: pointed me out and told them i was a cop and would arrest them. Before i realized her logic, i responded with "i'm not a police officer". 4) it's legal where i live, nc, to carry what you want, where you want, for the most part. I wont go in certain places that dont allow weapons/firearms. A kids store, sure, i'll leave it in the car, or at least make it disappear. But, grocery store, gas station, even the grueling trip into wally world, i make sure its on my strong side, well visible, with the hammer up, safety on. Until i find a city/town/state/country with zero violent crime, that is what i plan on doing. If the mrs wants to go on a date, or to the movies, i will make an effort to cover it up, maybe even conceal something a little smaller, but if i print, oh well. That's your warning, "dont mess with me". I've had kids ask, and grown folks compliment me for exercising my 2nd amendment, some women, young or elderly ask me to stick close, or walk them to their vehicles. So, my advice is do what feels good, within the law in your state, if you dont want the attention, hide it, but train and practice drawing and firing from that position, it may come in handy.
Old February 26, 2013, 06:07 PM   #27
CADILLAC HOOSIER

I've legally carried a pocket auto or a snubbie for years in all kinds of clothing and all kinds of states (where I was legal). Being a civilian, my reason for not wanting to print is that I don't want anyone to know I'm carrying concealed. Has nothing to do with being legal, everything to do with personal protection. B safe, HOOSIER
Old February 26, 2013, 06:55 PM   #28
dajowi

With the amount of pagers, cellphones, flashlights, ipods, etc. etc. hanging off of people's belts, I figure if I print a little they'll just think it's one of those.
Old February 26, 2013, 07:20 PM   #29
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
But for someone who has no permit and his hndgun "prints" anyway, what has happened?
In Michigan, which is an open carry state, he has broken the law, as it cannot be concealed. A "printing" handgun is concealed and you'd better have a CPL. Open here means fully open as being able to see holster containing handgun. Here it is best to get a CPL and you'll have all bases covered. Generally the only grief you get from police in printing is when somebody reports a gun and police tell you to please put some looser clothing on. Happened to a friend of mine. Cop told him to please consider his clothing, so he tucked his shirt in and replied, "That better?" Cop shrugged and walked away. A tight-fitting t-shirt, needless to say is not a good idea, unless, of course, it's tucked in and you're open carrying. I carry in the summer with a loose t-shirt and have never had problems, though I was once outed by one of our local restaurateurs just because he "notices things like that." Probably carries one himself.
Old February 26, 2013, 07:27 PM   #30
ClydeFrog

Tradecraft...

It may not be a legal issue or a SOP but its better for a concealed weapon to be CONCEALED.

Gun writer, sworn LE officer and use of force trainer, Massad Ayoob, www.massadayoobgroup.com , wrote how bulges & firearms may "startle the horses"(a ref to the early 1900s New York City society).
It's also the sign of poor tradecraft for a armed professional(security, PIs, EP/exec protection, LE, etc).

There are ways to pack heat & be discreet.

Clyde
Old February 26, 2013, 10:46 PM   #31
RCPractitioner

Quote:
I print all the time. Not obnoxiously though. I find my semi autos with their more rectangular sharp edged handgrips print more than revolvers. Holster style plays a big part too. High ride holsters may keep the barrel of my gun from going too far below my beltline but they also push the handgrip up. Open carry is legal where I live. But not really too popular. I find carrying in an owb holster with a no so tight shirt over my gun to be the best of both worlds. Im not openly carrying, but Im also not having to make the sometimes uncomfortable and unstylish changes to my wardrobe associated with an iwb holster, and loose fitting clothes.
Same here, been doing so for almost 10 years and have come to the conclusion that 99% of people are oblivious to it. I can't stand IWB carry.
Old February 27, 2013, 01:11 PM   #32
L_Killkenny

IMO, the worry about printing started in the states with strict CC laws but quickly spread via this great tool called the internet. But people today are so self absorbed and caught up in their shopping, eating, phones, etc and have a hard time noticing a whole nother person let alone printing.
Old February 28, 2013, 10:09 AM   #33
Gaerek

I live in an open carry state, so it doesn't matter if my gun is exposed, printing or whatever. But, for me, concealed means concealed. It's not a matter of going to jail, or whatever, it's a matter of not wanting to give up my tactical advantage in the case that I do need it. Oh, and not scaring the sheeple.
Old February 28, 2013, 07:38 PM   #34
ClydeFrog

Word up G!

Exactly!

G makes a great point. You do not need to walk around like Robo-Cop or Tactical Ted.
If the wind blows your jacket open or you bend over to pick up an item, so be it.

As a teen, I always thought one of the reasons actor Don Johnson(Det Sgt Sonny Crockett, NBC's Miami Vice www.imfdb.org ) wore a horizontal type leather shoulder holster was so that it would conceal better when his character(a "undercover" vice detective) could open boxes or cases w/o his huge .45acp showing.
Brown or natural leather made sense too because it breathes & wouldn't have dye bleed or stain clothes in the humid, hot Miami climate like black leather.

CF
Old March 2, 2013, 05:42 PM   #35
Hitthespot

My state is issuing Carry permits like crazy. I just read 78,000 in 2012 alone. I always look when ever I'm out shopping or with the wife. I've never once as of yet seen anyone print. I was extremely concerned about it when I first got my permit, but now I just make sure my shirt covers it even if I bend over and I'm done. That or a small gun like a Kahr CM9 in my front pocket in a Desantis holster. My state has open carry so printing is not a problem from a law stand point, however I believe as most here do that printing is something you should not do for a number of reasons, and you should take steps to avoid it.