The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 7, 2012, 02:03 PM   #1
BearArms2

Which Product(s) for Cleaning CZ SP-01 9mm?

Which products should I buy/use for cleaning my new CZ SP-01 9mm?

any other special advice/tips for cleaning this pistol?

Thank you in advance!!!
Old May 7, 2012, 02:15 PM   #2
Mrgunsngear

Products: CLP and maybe some bore cleaner (depending on ammo). A toothbrush, some patches, and some polymer dental pick type devices. That's what I use on 90% of my pistols and they run like a top.

No real special tips for cleaning this one in particular, just follow the manual and you won't go wrong.
Old May 7, 2012, 02:17 PM   #3
loose_holster_dan

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/667...e-16-oz-liquid

use this with some cleaning patches or old cut up t-shirts. and get a 9mm bore snake and soft brush.

the slide rails are a little awkward to get at, but you will get the hang of it.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old May 7, 2012, 02:18 PM   #4
IMightBeWrong

When I still had my P-01 I also used CLP. It came with a bore brush, did your pistol as well? That saves a step if so. I pretty much just use patches, a bore brush, CLP, and a little Hoppes No. 9 solvent. Most of my cleaning is done with patches and oil. Everybody's got their own method, though.
Old May 7, 2012, 02:48 PM   #5
tjhands

I mean, really you don't need anything more than a Boresnake, a rag and a bottle of CLP.

Put some CLP on the Boresnake, pull it through a few times. With the rag, wipe off any visible powder residue or gunk that you see. Put a couple drops of CLP on each slide rail and let it roll all the way down the rail. Put a drop or two on the barrel and spread it around with your fingertip.

Guess what. You're done.
Old May 7, 2012, 02:52 PM   #6
Gerry

Your CZ will develop a crud deposit on the upper breech face in the slide, above where the firing pin comes out, along the upper ridge and near the extractor. You'll need a stiff brush that can fit there and some bore solvent to clean this area. I use one of those toothbrushes, but made for gun cleaning with much harder nylon bristles.

Remove and clean your extractor and extractor spring every third cleaning or so. Remember the pin is pounded out from the top (outside) of the slide, and reverse to get it back in. Clean out the extractor hole with more solvent and the same toothbrush thingy as mentioned above. Don't wet this place with oil because it will attract grit and dirt and crud up quickly. Instead just handle your extractor with very slightly oily fingers so that a microscopic amount coats it before you reinstall it.

I also remove the firing pin every 10th cleaning or so. It doesn't get dirty quickly, but after taking it apart a few times, you'll soon figure out how often yours will need cleaning. Clean the channel out too. You'll need a q-tip for this, plus I use a degreaser solvent for it, like "crud cutter". Like your extractor, you don't want any oil in there. I just handle the firing pin itself after cleaning with just a perceptible film of oil on my fingers during the reinstall, and that's it.

Make sure you clean the rails (the channels in both the frame and on the slide) very well. Grit or sand will cause friction which will increase metal wear. I wet it with solvent until it literally runs off, then run a q-tip along the channels. The rails really like to be wet on these guns. Some use a tiny bit of grease here along with oil, but others will tell you it just attracts grit which can wear things even faster. I personally use a dab of light grease in warmer months, but only oil in winter (this is Canada after all).

Ensure too that the lug recesses in the frame to accept the barrel are perfectly clean and free of grit. Lube it well, and the barrel lugs too, along with the barrel hood and link while assembling.