The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 10, 2011, 10:36 PM   #1
freediver

6mm remington

Hello I am new to this forum, and I was wondering if a 6mm remington is designed for a short action or long action and also your opinions if it is a good hunting round for ground squirrel sized game to deer sized game.

Last edited by freediver; April 10, 2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old April 10, 2011, 10:56 PM   #2
big al hunter

Short answer is; short action and yes.

Longer answer; The 6mm Rem. is the ballistic equivelent to the 243 win. Both were introduced at approcimately the same time. Each is capable of taking vermin and up to deer sized game, given proper bullet selection. The 6mm was originally chambered in rifles with too slow of twist to stabilize the heavier deer bullets. This gave the 6mm a bad wrap in the accuracy dept. The 243 was chambered in faster twist barrels and took off like a shot (parden the pun).
Remington fixed the twist problem but the cartridge already had a bad reputation. I do know some people that swear by it and hunt black bear with it regularly. I however own a 243 win. Are you shopping or did you already find one that may be a good deal?
Old April 10, 2011, 11:07 PM   #3
freediver

Looking to buy one wanted to possibly rechamber it in a 6.5 - 284 if it was a long action, not sure now, mabey another some sort of wsm with similar balistics. It has a sako single shot action, with a canjar set trigger, nice wood stock, douglas barrel.
Old April 10, 2011, 11:12 PM   #4
Smaug

big al got it

I've got a Remington 788 in 6mm Rem. Not a bad gun.

I believe the way to tell the slow twist from fast twist rifles is that the original slow twist rifles were called ".244 Remington" while the fast twist rifles were called "6mm Remington". Do a google search on "6mm Remington" and you'll find what you're looking for.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old April 10, 2011, 11:13 PM   #5
Smaug

The trick with this caliber will be:

Either a) finding ammo, as it is only produced in small quantities now, or b) finding brass.

If you're a reloader, stock up on brass now. After the initial full-length sizing, neck size it only, to make it last.

If you have the brass, you can always find bullets, primers, and powder.

- Eric Hoffer
Old April 10, 2011, 11:18 PM   #6
freediver

Hmm.. good tip I do reload so I will keep that in mind that is why I was considering rebarreling it in a diffrent caliber but im not sure what yet want something with 1000 yd performance
Old April 11, 2011, 12:25 AM   #7
MOshooter65202

I have a Remington 700 BDL 6mm short action and it's a tack driver capable of varmint to deer sized animals with excellent accuracy no recoil.
The .243 and the 6mm are the same caliper,the 6mm has a slightly larger case and a few more fps over the .243 both are very good cartridges.
243 being the more popular of the two cartridges,ammo can be found any where for the .243
I reload for all my rifles and there's a wide selection of bullets in the 6mm. Nosler has 55 gr. ballistic tip that just screams out of the 6mm and then load on up to some 100 gr. Nosler Partition for the whitetail.
Old April 11, 2011, 08:57 AM   #8
taylorce1

Quote:
Either a) finding ammo, as it is only produced in small quantities now, or b) finding brass.

If you're a reloader, stock up on brass now. After the initial full-length sizing, neck size it only, to make it last.

If you have the brass, you can always find bullets, primers, and powder.
Yes brass will be difficult if you want correct head stamped brass. If you want to form brass it can be made out of 7X57, 8X57, .257 Roberts brass as well. With a little more work you can make it out of any .30-06 brass or its siblings as well.

Quote:
Hmm.. good tip I do reload so I will keep that in mind that is why I was considering rebarreling it in a diffrent caliber but im not sure what yet want something with 1000 yd performance
Keep it a 6mm Remington, just throat it long with a fast twist (1:7) barrel and run 105-115 grain bullets. This will get you to 1K with bullets that will compete with any of the 6.5 cartridges out there. If you want you can blow it out to an Ackley chamber as well, and you can get above 3000 fps even with the heavy 115 bullets.

There are a lot of guys starting to compete at long range with the 6mm calibers. In fact I'm building a fast twist .243 for my long range rifle. I wanted something that wasn't going to beat me to death while shooting up to 60+ rounds at a time and still reach my intended targets with a high BC bullet.

Last edited by taylorce1; April 11, 2011 at 09:02 AM.
Old April 11, 2011, 09:16 AM   #9
WyomingWhitetail

My dad and my brother have killed many many elk with Remington 600 Mohawk in 6mm. So yes it will kill ground squirrels and whitetail all day long. Overall i think its a great caliber with basically no recoil which makes it easy to shoot well. Don't have much experience shooting at 1000 yrds but if i remember right we shot it on the 1000yrd range at Raton New Mexico and it did just fine considering it has a 18.5 inch barrel.
Old April 11, 2011, 09:26 AM   #10
Smaug

"Basically no recoil"?!

I beg to differ. To me, .22LR and pump-up air rifles are basically no recoil.

6mm Rem is on the lighter side of centerfire rifle recoil, but let's not go around telling people it is "basically no recoil."

- Eric Hoffer
Old April 11, 2011, 09:36 AM   #11
jimbob86

As other have noted, brass is hard to find, unless you order it.... Hell, I can't even find 7mm Mauser (parent case) in stores .....

That said, it has greater case capacity than the .243 WIN, and if an Ackley Improved chamber is added, and a barrel with a twist for sleek bullets .... it makes a 1 in 10" twist .243 look like a real kids gun.....
Old April 11, 2011, 11:20 AM   #12
Scorch

Quote:
I was wondering if a 6mm remington is designed for a short action or long action
One reason 6mm Rem never really caught on is that it is really an intermediate length cartridge, and is best suited for a long action. Remington put it in short actions, and caused issues with having to seat heavy bullets deep in order to work out of the 3.050" magazine box. I recommend a long action for a build, but if you have a short action, it can be made to work just fine.
Quote:
Yes brass will be difficult if you want correct head stamped brass. If you want to form brass it can be made out of 7X57, 8X57, .257 Roberts brass as well
Remington makes brass for the 6mm Rem, it is available (I have a brand new bag of 100 downstairs in the shop). No loaded ammo, but brass is available. Or, as taylorce said, you can form it from several other cases, 7X57 or 257 Roberts would be easiest.

A fast twist barrel and Berger 115 grainers will shoot pretty flat! That would be the direction I would go.

Last edited by Scorch; April 11, 2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old April 11, 2011, 12:03 PM   #13
Longdayjake

Maybe I'm confused, but if you want to get one so that you can rebarrel it to 6.5-284, why don't you just buy a .260 and be done with it. It will meet your 1000 yard requirement pretty easily.

Tags
6mm remington , accuracy , hunting , rifle , rifle actions