The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 9, 2010, 04:00 AM   #1
Amanda4461

BAR Questions

Hello folks, my first NFA questions below, if you have the time. Thanks!
1. I want one, bad. They just look business-like. Dumb reason, but what the heck. I know, $$$.
What mfgs made them during WWII, and what is the most desirable, and why?
2. What part of the mechanism is the actual "machine gun-defining part?" Sear, bolt, trigger assembly? Regardless, I asssume it woud be like an M16, and have a certain identifiable part that makes it a class-II item. If so, is this particular part easily broken, or easily repaired?
3. Anything special to watch out for, as far as problem areas? I assume the mags are expensive, but hopefully available. Any suggestions on where to find a nice one, and/or parts, is really appreciated.

Last one, can I buy a "kit" that would let my Rockola M-1 carbine become an M-2? If so, who has the kits, and what is a realistic price?

Thanks!
Amanda
Old December 9, 2010, 08:33 AM   #2
Skans

I believe with the BAR that the entire receiver is the machinegun. At least the ones I've seen that have been demilled have the entire receiver torch-cut. You used to see parts kits with the demilled receiver for the BAR, but I don't see too many of those around these days. I've also seen a couple of semi-auto BAR's, but that was over 10 years ago, and I think they were going for close to $2,000 then.

On the lower end, you might be able to find a BAR for about $17,000....on the high end, I'd say about $25,000

The answer to your last question is "no". It is illegal for you to convert any semi-auto weapon into a full-auto weapon and there are no exceptions, permits, registrations, etc. that will permit you to do this.

Last edited by Skans; December 9, 2010 at 08:40 AM.
Old December 9, 2010, 11:33 AM   #3
RAnb

A BAR is going to coast about 15-20K, and the M2 carbine is running about 6k now. Both are available on the Subguns classified ads. I have not heard of any registered drop in auto kits for the M-1, but if there are any out there, then they will cost about the same as the whole M2 carbine.

To make your own you will need to obtain an FFL ($200) and pay the SOT class 2 ($500-1000).

Ranb
Old December 9, 2010, 12:32 PM   #4
BlueTrain

I saw an semi-auto BAR three or four years ago, maybe longer, and yes, it was over $2,000. But that was also the going price for a Cooper-style Scout Rifle with scope.

Do you realize how long and heavy they are?
Buy War Bonds.
Old December 9, 2010, 08:45 PM   #5
Amanda4461

BAR

RAnb,
I believe that you hit on the answer to the carbine question. I assumed that the "kits" would do to an M-1 carbine exactly what a DIAS does to the AR. As long as it is a registered kit, I should be fine. However, if the kit is about the same price as an original M-2, I should just buy the M-2 and save my all-original Rockola in its current condition.
Skans,
Thanks for the info regarding the receiver on the BAR. That gives me something to go on, as I assumed that military BARs should be available without even knowing that the re-welds are out there.
I appreciate the responses folks. From the $$ involved, I think I will be happier to pursue an M-2 as opposed to a BAR. At least I'll have money for ammo left over.
Thanks!
Amanda
Old December 9, 2010, 09:50 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

There are a fair number of registered M2 kits for the carbine; last I heard they were selling for around 3-4k, but that was then...

One good thing about an M2 kit is that the KIT BY ITSELF is the machinegun, so it can be moved from carbine to carbine without any paperwork and without making the host carbine a machinegun. A bad thing is that many of the M2 kits on the market are repros, made before 1986 and won't stand up to much firing. In one case I know of, the disconnector lever broke after less than 20 rounds of FA fire. If you get a good, GI kit, they will last a long time.

The kit is pretty much drop in, but most kits don't include the M2 trigger housing, which is necessary. You should also put on a 4-rivet handguard, a heavy M2 stock, a round bolt, and a late type mag catch to better hold the 30 round magazine (if you have one).

Jim
Old January 2, 2011, 10:21 PM   #7
jamz50

I agree, go the M2 route, get the BAR later. Most of the BARs out there are registered receiver DLO guns and $17,000 is about the going price. Colt and Winchester manufactured them during WWII. If I remember correctly, McBee typewriter built some of them too!
Old January 2, 2011, 10:55 PM   #8
dawico

You can get a semi-auto Bar here. http://www.ohioordnanceworks.com/Fir...1918A3_SLR.rif They are still expensive, but much cheaper than registered autos. OOW has some other pretty cool guns also if you have the money.
Old January 6, 2011, 10:50 PM   #9
silvercorvette

Where do you live? Full auto is legal in about 60% of the states. I wanted a Thompson for a very long time but couldn't buy one till I moved from NY to SC.

You didn't specify the state you live in so it may be possible that you live in a state where they aren't legal
Old January 7, 2011, 06:29 AM   #10
Skans

WOW! $4,000 for the semi-auto! I was thinking more along the lines of $2,000 - saw one about 12 years ago for $1,800 - considered buying it too.