The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 31, 2009, 07:12 PM   #1
Surculus Solitudo

New Brass Prep

I will be using some new Winchester .243 brass to reload with. The Lyman manual says I do not need to size new factory brass. When I was inspecting the brass, I noticed some of the necks were not completely round so I am wondering how good the quality control is on the rest of casing. I am thinking of running the brass through the sizing process even though they are new.
What do you think is proper case prep for new brass? Thanks!
Old October 31, 2009, 07:29 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

The reason they say you don't have to size new brass is that you got them the way the factory ammo loading machines get them, except the extra transportation will have added to the dents. They are already sized as small as they'll ever be. Dents and squashing of the necks occur because that portion of the brass is annealed, so it is softer than the brass below the shoulder, which has to be harder to contain pressure. It is therefore easy to indent the neck. In theory, this won't have much effect on neck tension when the bullet actually gets in, but it does increase the risk that it won't get in without damaging the case.

Lots of folks resize before loading to iron all that out, but it narrows and re-expands the neck so it can shorten case life by one load cycle. You can straighten the dented case with round nose pliers, and get it close enough so the bullet does the rest. If it is tapered enough, you can run it over the expander in your sizing die without running it all the way into the die. The deluxe method is to get a Sinclair die body for neck turning mandrels, and the right mandrel. These have a longer taper than an expander, so they easily straighten any dents.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 31, 2009, 07:31 PM   #3
flashhole

I'm somewhat a fanatic about processing brass. I process new brass just like fired brass, FL size, trim, deburr, flash hole uniform, primer pocket uniform. That way I know it's right. It's common to see dented necks in new brass. Those you have to process to get it to seat the bullet.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old October 31, 2009, 07:38 PM   #4
PBKing

Quote:
I'm somewhat a fanatic about processing brass. I process new brass just like fired brass, FL size, trim, deburr, flash hole uniform, primer pocket uniform. That way I know it's right.
Right On
Old October 31, 2009, 09:01 PM   #5
plainsman456

What flashhole said.Good Luck
Old October 31, 2009, 09:11 PM   #6
jepp2

I realize that I am in a minority, but with new rifle brass, I just run the expander through the neck, deburr the flash hole, and lightly chamfer the inside of the necks before the first loading. It has always worked for me.
Old October 31, 2009, 09:43 PM   #7
kiwi56

New Brass prep

As long as the neck is not damaged I just fire them, most of the time I'm fireforming for Ackley chambers anyway so the cases are very loose. I usually fireform while hunting and don't fireform during competition so its no real problem. Once the cases have been fireformed I only neck size after that.