The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 15, 2009, 02:24 PM   #1
7jinxed7

Identify This Part

I inherited some rifles and safe a few years back and this was with some gun stuff.It does not have any numbers or markings that I can see.It appears to be pakerized or a chalky black finish.It is 7 inches long and 1 1/8th wide were the little rod sticks out.The rod rotates and two slots on the end of it.I do not know if this is even a gun part or not.I was hoping if it was someone here could idnentify it.If the photos don't work let me know. gun pictures 003.jpg

gun pictures 004.jpg

gun pictures 006.jpg
Old August 15, 2009, 03:19 PM   #2
George R

Mystery Part

Hi. It looks (to me) like a shell stop from a Stevens shotgun.
Old August 15, 2009, 06:14 PM   #3
Superhouse 15

It looks a lot like an M2 Carbine sear trip lever. IIRC the ATF says posession of this part alone is no problem, but if you posess a few others from the M2, it is a machinegun in their eyes.
Old August 15, 2009, 11:31 PM   #4
7jinxed7

What about maybe a M1 carbine?Their was two in the collection.1 is a Inland General Motors and the other is a cheap Universal.
Old August 16, 2009, 03:07 PM   #5
triggerman770

trip lever

it is an M2 carbine part, the sear trip lever is the common name. If you have the rest of the conversion parts they are considered a machine gun. this like to ATF FAQ's will enlighten you.
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#m29
the correct name is the disconnector lever assembly fsn 7161830
www.georgiacarry.org
Old August 16, 2009, 03:53 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

You can legally own and sell that single part, and many folks with registered M2 carbines like to have a spare one. If it is GI, it is worth more than if it is a repro, as many of the repros bend or break.

Jim
Old August 16, 2009, 06:29 PM   #7
armsmaster270

When the DCM first sold the M1 Carbines through the NRA some they sold were actually M2's that had the full auto parts removed. My brother got one that only had the selector lever removed and every time he shot downhill the hammer followed the bolt forward without firing the round. Removing the rest if the parts fixed it.
Old August 16, 2009, 06:57 PM   #8
7jinxed7

Is fully auto the difference in the M1 and M2?If this is strickly a M2 part I have no use for it.I'll just sell it if it's not a correct or legal part for the M1.To my knowlege my father never had a M2 nor do I.Maybe he bought a wrong part or something.I can't seem to find it on the M2 schematics I've looked at.
Old August 16, 2009, 08:37 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

It is strictly an M2 part. In fact, it can't even be put into an M1 unless the M1 also has the M2 type operating slide and the M2 stock. (The M1 stock has a cross-web in front of the trigger guard that prevents installation of the disconnector lever.)

Jim
Old August 17, 2009, 06:54 PM   #10
7jinxed7

Whats it worth?
Old August 18, 2009, 02:03 AM   #11
impalacustom

It is strictly an M2 part and it cannot be used in an M1, these replace the forward pin on the trigger housing of an M2. If you tried to put this on an M1 the housing will cause it to bind up as it isn't machined like the M2's are, also the selector lever is what held this piece in place. The stock and slide isn't where the problem starts you won't even get that far before you have problems. A lot of re-armored M1's have M2 potbellys on them.

My M1 came with everything but the selector switch, 9 spring, disconnector and your lever, I pulled them all and kept them for my M2 though.

I'd be real curious as to exactly which parts are illegal because a lot of them will interchange with M1's. If you machine an M1 housing to become an M2 then that is illegal as it shows intent, even if you don't have any parts.

It's price is dependant on the stamping on it. If you look on the flats and see any stamping marks there is a good chance it is USGI. No marks and it's not worth more than $10-$15.
Old August 18, 2009, 10:08 PM   #12
James K
Member In Memoriam

There are a couple of versions of what parts constitute a "combination of parts" for a carbine sufficient to legally become a machinegun in and by themselves.

A list I obtained some years ago has the following: 1) M2 slide, 2) M2 hammer, 3) M2 sear, 4) selector (switch), 5) disconnector lever, and 6) disconnector. The latter three parts have no function in an M1 carbine and the lever, as noted above, cannot even be installed in a carbine with only M1 parts. I have seen another version that adds the disconnector plunger and the 9 spring, but those are so insignificant, I question the validity of including them. Also note that the round bolt, M2 stock, and other upgrade parts are NOT listed as they were commonly used as replacement parts on M1 carbines.

The "six magic parts" as they have been known for years, are as listed, and ALL are required to make a carbine selective fire. No single part or combination of parts is enough - all must be in the possession or under the control of one person. Note that the person does NOT have to have a carbine; the parts themselves are legally a machinegun and illegal if not registered. I have seen reports that BATFE agents have stated that even one M2 part is a machinegun, but that appears to be totally wrong, and a misstatement by an overzealous individual agent. I have never heard of an arrest or conviction for having anything less than the full kit.

Many M1 carbines sold by the DCM and CMP have M2 slides or M2 sears. The M2 hammer will work in an M1 carbine but requires a shim to take up the space normally occupied by the disconnector.

HTH

Jim
Old August 18, 2009, 10:16 PM   #13
7jinxed7

Thanks guys.I've been wondering what this thing was for the past 3 or 4 years.Now I know its safe to throw it away.