The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 19, 2009, 03:10 AM   #1
bbbigbossbb

Need help choosing a sight

Hi everyone. I'm new to the whole firearm scene (got my guns at 18, almost 19) and don't know too much about the styles and everything. I have a Smith and Wesson Model 629-3 with a 6.5 in. barrel. It was manufactured in 1993.

I was looking at these sights by Millett.
http://www.opticsplanet.net/millett-...er-sights.html
http://www.millettsights.com/control...t09/series_100

I don't know which sights would fit my gun. Now I don't know if sights come in sets of rear and front sights, or just rear. (all I need is the rear) I've decided on the white outline sights because for now it will be a target shooting gun. Please help me pick out the sight that would be best for my gun and feel free to recommend any other optics manufacturers if you have had good luck with them. Thank you very much.

PS. If you would explain why it would fit my gun, it would be much appreciated. The gun has 3 threaded holes and a smaller threaded hole about half the diameter of the others in front of the other 3.
Old August 19, 2009, 08:55 AM   #2
PetahW

Hi - You're on the right track, following your topmost/first link.

Your lower/second link is for sights that mount onto the slides of auto-loading pistols - which a Model 29 decidedly is not - so you can disregard that info for that N-Frame revolver.

Millett lists three of the same target-type rear blade, which replaces the rear sight blade ONLY (not the entire rear sight) - but in three different heights (.312"/.360"/.410"), so their customers may match a height to either the height of the one on their revolver, or to their special needs (like long-distance shooting).

SW00012 .312 K, L & N Round Tang
SW00014 .360 K, L & N Round Tang
SW00016 .410 K, L & N Round Tang

You would most likely be well served if you contact Millett's customer service dept @ their toll-free number ( Phone:888.276.5945 ) - they should have enough experience to recommend exatly what you need.
[Provided they haven't sub-contracted out their CS to Asia or somesuch other place.]

Old August 19, 2009, 10:58 AM   #3
GeauxTide

I've got Millet's WO on the back and Wiegand on the front of both my N's.
Old August 19, 2009, 11:11 AM   #4
bbbigbossbb

Thank you very much. That's the first good answer I've gotten about this in two weeks. Now you said the number represents how tall it is? Also, is there anywhere I can get the entire assembly for a decent price?
Old August 19, 2009, 12:26 PM   #5
Scorch

Your first link has the correct sights, here is the link from Millett. S&W revolvers are listed in the chart.
http://www.millettsights.com/control...cat09/revolver
The second link is for semiauto sights.

Unless you have the S&W sight screw/nut staking tool and screwdriver tool, I would just buy the whole sight assembly from Millett and replace the whole sight. That way, if you decide to return to factory sights, it is easy to do. Be careful with the Millett sight, the long top strap spring can be brittle.

Like PetahW said, call Millett customer service and let them help you out.
Old August 19, 2009, 01:09 PM   #6
PetahW

[Now you said the number represents how tall it is?]

No, I didn't - I said that Millett made them in three different heights, and then I pasted the sight info from the Millett website.

So, for instance, regarding the above entry:

"SW00016 .410 K, L & N Round Tang"

"SW00016" is Millett's stock number for their .410" high (.410) rear sight blade, that fits your revolver (K, L, & N Round Tang) - the model 29 being built on S&W's "N-Frame".

Talk to Millett's CS, and find out definitely which model/etc you want/need, first.

THEN, if you're on a budget, I suppose one might be had for a dollar or two cheaper from MidwayUSA or Brownell's - but, no matter where it's bought online, don't forget to seek out the S&H charges.
Some may charge the price of the sight over again for S&H, while others may just stick a few stamps on the box and call it a sale.