The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 19, 2009, 09:30 PM   #1
shotguna

Revolver Hunting Question

I was just curious if you guys could give me a little bit of insight as to the revolver that I just picked up and how it pertains to hunting. I'm a normal sized dude (5' 9", 175 lbs), so I didn't see a problem when I picked up a used Ruger SRH in .480 Ruger with a 7.5" barrel. I got it for $425, so the deal was too good to pass up (i already know the ammo prices and scarcity, so you dont need to mention that). The problem is that once i got home, and I was looking at the data on a 325 gr. HP out of this gun and the results were staggering. I mean, I knew I got a hand cannon, but I actually expected a bit more of a tamer load. This isnt the issue, since I'm american, and thats how we work it The problem is that I wanted to use this as my whitetail revolver for next year. So I guess this is my real question, broken down:

1. Is this a good revolver for whitetail? (I understand that there might be better, but im curious about this cartridge)

2. What else would be viable game with this cartridge?

3. At what ranges do you believe this cartridge would max out for whitetail? (provided I used either the sights and practiced, or a scope and practiced)

Thanks everyone, I'm hoping this will work out amazing for me. This is the first revolver I have owned, so I'm excited about it.
Old January 19, 2009, 11:15 PM   #2
LHB1

Is that your first revolver or your first pistol? Do you have experience shooting other type pistols? It is a nice gun but is not the pistol I would recommend for your first pistol. You might consider putting the .480 in the safe for a while and perhaps start with a .357 Mag. Would suggest that you get into reloading if you aren't already. Then you could load some light practice loads and work up to full power loads in the .480. The cartridge will do very well for white tail. Range will depend both on ballistics of your load and your ability to consistently place your shots accurately.

Last edited by LHB1; January 19, 2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old January 20, 2009, 12:16 AM   #3
HOGGHEAD

Question

I am surmising that by your questions you are new to revolvers??

If you are a reloader or have access to a person who reloads then I would work up a lighter load and practice a good bit.

The revolver should easily be capable of deer hunting out to 100 yards. Without a problem. As long as the revolver itself is accurate to that distance, the cartridge is more than capable at 100 yards.

IF you do not have acces to reloading then I would sell the revolver and get a good 44 magnum. The 44 magnum is also very adequate to 100 yards as long as the individual revolver is capable of that accuracy. My S&W is definitely capable at that distance. Tom.
Old January 20, 2009, 04:49 AM   #4
troy_mclure

with LOTS of practice 100yd should be fine, look for an alaskan regional thread, i believe that round is quite popular up there.

start close, and move out. if you start getting crappy, stop for the day. start where you left off. once you master a range, move it out 10yd.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old January 20, 2009, 09:27 AM   #5
Bitmap

1. It's fine for whitetails.

2. With the right load (specifically a bullet suited to the game animal) you can take anything in North America with that.

3. You will probably run our of shooting skill before the round runs out of steam on deer sized animals. The trajectory keeps it from being a good long range round but 100 yards should be no problem. Look at that trajectory when sighting it in so you don't go too high over the line of sight in the mid ranges.

My advice is to get into reloading if you aren't already.