The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old April 2, 2005, 11:23 AM   #1
dr.magnum

National Match barrels

I bought a 1911 at a gun show recently. It is an IAI (Israeli Arms), made in the Phillipines. The barrel is a stainless barrel, with a separate serial number preceded by N.M. Is this a National Match barrel? What would that be worth? By the way, It is not ported, and it sticks about a quarter of an inch out of the slide.
I don't have the full number right now(I'm at work), but I can get it tonight if it helps.
Just curious.
Old April 2, 2005, 02:23 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

The genuine USGI National Match barrels made years ago did have the Federal stock number and "NM" on the hood, BUT.......

Since then many different makers have made up commercial barrels with the NM and number stamped on them.

Go to most any gun show and check out the people selling parts.
You'll find barrels and cheap cast parts like barrel bushings with NM numbers on them.

The point is, ANYBODY can stamp ANY gun part with a NM marking and the numbers.
These parts can range from good forged and milled parts by good makers, to absolute cast trash by fly-by-night makers.

In any event, even a 100% genuine USGI NM barrel doesn't have that much value because of the quantity made, and the fact that yours has already been fitted to a gun.