The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 6, 2002, 06:01 PM   #1
ACP230

Ruger 28 Gauge OU

Anyone got one of these? I've handled several and like the pistol gripped versions best. A friend has a short-barrelled, straight stocked job and I got to watch him hunt birds with it for a couple of hours one afternoon. It made my used Italian 20 gauge OU feel a little like a two by four.

Anyone got one of the engraved versions?
How do you like it, or Ruger 28s in general?
Old December 7, 2002, 12:43 AM   #2
HSMITH

I have done some shooting with a pistol gripped 28, no engraving.

Truth is the only thing wrong with the Ruger O/U in any gauge is the triggers, they SUCK. Stiff and gritty, my 12 SC has over 50K rounds through it and the triggers are still over 12 pounds. If you can live with the triggers go for it.
Old December 7, 2002, 06:06 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The gent referred to here as the Hull Elf has one that he loves. His is used for SC more than anything else, and I've swung it a few times but not fired it. Feels like a willow switch after my 12s.

General consensus is it's a good one.
Old December 7, 2002, 08:52 AM   #4
K80Geoff

I have shot a couple of them. Nice guns, especially in the PG and longer barrel versions. A little too light for me but a lot of folks like them for their weight and handling.

Ruger triggers are no bargain but you can get used to them, they aren't that bad. Unless you are used to shooting an expensive euro made O/U this probably won't be a problem.

The Ruger is a true 28, not a 28 on a 20 ga frame like most other guns.
Old December 7, 2002, 11:01 AM   #5
C.R.Sam

Quote:
Ruger triggers are no bargain but you can get used to them, they aren't that bad. Unless you are used to shooting an expensive euro made O/U this probably won't be a problem.
Or...
Are used to shooting over fifty year old any grade made by nearly anybody shotguns.

Most modern shotgun triggers are truly awfull.

Sam
Old December 7, 2002, 12:15 PM   #6
BMWGS80

I've owned two, both 28" std. My first one I got six years ago. A friend talked me out of it after two rounds of clays. It did not take me long to replace it. It is the gun I shoot the most and have had the most fun with in 30 yrs. I limited out in two hours with it the opening day of dove season. I can shoot two 100 tgt rounds of sporting clays instead of one. I find that I average dropping 2-3 birds less with it over my twelve. It is worth the difference to me. More shooting, more enjoyable.

The only downside that gets repeated over and over is the cost of the shells. My contention is you do not want to use bargan ammo. More birds have been lost to cheap shells than bad shots.
You compare ammo cost on good quality loads and it is not so bad.

Cheers,

ts