The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 11, 2002, 06:54 PM   #1
Blue Duck357

Checking my list twice...

Getting ready to order Square Deal B from Dillion and was wondering if I could get some help on whether I've got everything I need.

SDB (in 357 magnum if that makes any difference)
Mounting Kit
Eliminator Loading Scale
Dial Calipers
Dillon Case Lube
Brass (already have)
Powder
Primers
Bullets

I know there is likely better stuff out there, and likely some accesories that would make loading a bit easier, but do I have all the basics to begin with the above or am I missing anything???

Thanks for any help,
Old July 11, 2002, 07:09 PM   #2
Jim Watson

SDB has a carbide sizing die, no need for case lube.

You do not really need calipers for a revolver caliber. Seat bullets to the crimp groove and your OAL is taken care of.

A primer flipper is very helpful for loading primer feed tubes. The big bronze Dillon is nice, but a cheap plastic one will do.
Old July 11, 2002, 07:49 PM   #3
WESHOOT2

A FEW ITEMS............

1) Safety glasses (if you touch anything other than data/paper put them on).

2) Lyman (or RCBS) Scale Weight Check set. Use EVERY TIME you touch the scale.

3) Boxes (suggest 50-rd flip-top from Midway) to put your ammo in.

4) Data notebook to record ALL pertinent load information (like primer, powder and weight, bullet, OAL, case, etc.).

5) LEE Chamfer tool. At $3(?) it's priceless (case mouths, primer pockets).

Just suggestions, but I consider all five mandatory.
Old July 11, 2002, 08:54 PM   #4
Brian Williams

Powder 2400 for hot full house loads
231 for plinkers

Bullets Hornady xtp 125 jhp for full loads
any 158 gr Lswc for plinking or 158 gr LRN
Old July 12, 2002, 02:22 AM   #5
cobb

Depends on how many rounds you want to load in one sitting. If I am loading quantity, be it 500-1000 .223, or .45 with my Dillon 550, extra primer pick-up tubes speed it up alot when loading large quantity in one sitting. Right now with the gear you get with your Dillon, is one small, and one large primer pick-up tube for picking up 100 primers and then loading them into you Dillon priming system. Now you can fill the tube again, and be ready to load 200 rounds with only a small interuption to put the next 100 primers in your Dillon. I like to have extra filler tubes so that if I am going to load, lets say 500 .45 acp, I fill 5 tubes with primers, and then go to town loading up my rounds. This really helps when you have a rhythm going. Check the catalog, I don't think the extra tubes are all that expensive compaired to the speed they add for "me" loading.
Old July 12, 2002, 07:15 AM   #6
Blue Duck357

Appreciate all who took the time to reply, great info thanks!
Old July 12, 2002, 09:20 AM   #7
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Congratulations on beginning progressive loading

Couple more items---

--A set of hex keys (Allen wrenches) to loosen and adjust and tighten various stuff.

--Dillon primer flipper tray. It is made of metal, large and heavy--and a mite pricey-- and will last forever. You can get a plastic one elsewhere, but it is nice when your tray is stable while you fill those extra primer tubes.

--Akro Bins. Dillon sends one with each press, to catch loaded cartridges, but you'll probably want more, to hold the empty cases and the bullets, and for storing whatever. Dillon's are a little pricey, and you can get them for less elsewhere. Staples Office Supplies has 'em, as do some electronics stores and automotible service places.

--Dillon's combination tool, their Bench Wrench, is quite handy. Has most of the sizes you need in one tool--except the hex keys.

--Other tools: Adjustable wrench (Crescent wrench type.) Slip-joint pliers. Needle nose pliers. Curved hemostats.

--Can of compressed air, to blow loose powder and stuff out of the press and off the bench top. Camera shops, automotive and discount stores have it.

--Other cleaning items: Old toothbrush. One- and two-inch-wide paint brushes. A solvent. Q-tips. Pipe cleaners.

BEFORE you start setting up your press, read the manual cover-to-cover. At least once. Make notes of any tools, etc, you don't have. You'll want to have some lubricants for the press, (Ram, primer slide, powder measure slide) as recommended in the book.

Lots of little odds and ends, but all useful.

And my standard benediction: I hope you get as much enjoyment from your loading activities as I have over the years.

Best,
Johnny
Old July 12, 2002, 12:02 PM   #8
LAH

Not sure what your bench height is but you may consider a strong mount. Extra primer pick up tubes are nice as is the primer early warning system. You couldn't haul the ammo I've loaded on my Square Deal in a pickup truck. The only thing I've broke is the handle.
Old July 12, 2002, 04:58 PM   #9
C.R.Sam

WS2's list plus flipper.

And at least two loading manuals.
Second source (or more) all loading data.

Read the instructions
Read the instructions.

No distractions while loading.

ENJOY

Sam
Old July 12, 2002, 05:10 PM   #10
Blue Duck357

More thanks for all the additions, but...

Quote:
Curved hemostats
Old July 12, 2002, 06:18 PM   #11
Swamp Yankee

Always recommend a decent bullet buller, just in case. Not that I've ever had to use mine.
Take Care
Old July 13, 2002, 12:15 AM   #12
C.R.Sam

Quote:
Curved hemostats
Kinda sisors lookin thingys that have grabbin noses stead of cuttin blades. And they latch when you grab something. Great for picken up scale weights without contaminating them with your fingers.

Fancy tweezers

Sam
Old July 13, 2002, 07:01 PM   #13
Blue Duck357

Thanks again C.R., and yep Swamp Yankee a bullet pullers going on the order form as well (not that I'll ever need it of course )

One question I suppose I should have asked earlier. I'm planing to order the SDB in 357 Magnum (all my revolvers are 357 at this point). I also like the idea of shooting 357's even with light loads for practice just because cleanup is a bit easier and I tend to have better accruracy with factory 357's as opposed to 38's.

I've heard and correct me if I'm wrong that you can load 357's with 38 dies but not vice versa. Also know the SDB dies are not standard so I'm just assuming I should be ordering the .357 set and I'll just have to buy a whole new caliber conversion for the 38 special if I ever get around to picking up that S/W Model 15 I've always wanted. Correct or should I really be ordering the 38 special kit because it could be adjusted to load either???
Old July 13, 2002, 07:11 PM   #14
LAH

Correct me if I'm wrong Blue Duck but isn't the part numbers the same for .357 & .38? I have a squre deal and load both of them with the same dies but don't remember which one I ordered.
Old July 13, 2002, 07:52 PM   #15
Blue Duck357

LAH, I've got part #A65-20102 for 38 and #A65-20103 for the 357 kit.
Old July 13, 2002, 08:53 PM   #16
Waitone

An electronic scale is a waste of money. Get a balance beam scale and a set of check weights.

Primer warning system is nice; prevents boo-boo's.

Extra primer pickup tubes do help with speed.

Primer flip trays are absolutely necessary to preserve your sanity.

Bench wrenches make it easier to adjust dies.

Ammo boxes are helpful if you like to vary your receipe.

Paint brush, preferrably unused.

A mounting kit is good if you bench height is too low. Roller handle. . . . your call.

A variety of coffee cans are nice to have.

Bullet puller will get a workout until you figure out what you are doing.

As many reloading manuals (at least 2) as you can afford. Be wary of internet based receipes.
Old July 14, 2002, 06:35 AM   #17
LAH

Ole Mighty Blue Duck. You are correct Sir. I was was refering to the part number for the conversion kits. They are the same A63-20240.

My Square Deal came set up for 44 Mag. I added a caliber or two since then by ordering conversion kits. The kit I ordered (A63020240) handdles both .38 and .357. A quick call to Dillon will settle this once and for all, 1-800-762-3845. I'm sure either will load either so to speak but hey, it's your money so give them a holler.
Old July 14, 2002, 06:53 AM   #18
Redneck2

My $.02...

some guys like the balance beam scale...I have an electronic and wouldn't take a dozen beam scales for it..YMMV but I like it a LOT

I got two of those organizer cabinets at Lowe's for all the little stuff

get every free pamphlet you can from the powder companies. You may never find "your" combination in the major reloading books, but if you go by powder brand you'll have something at least comparable.

If you reload a lot of calibers, some of the stuff in the "caliber conversions" will duplicate. For example, the .25-06, 30-06, and 35 Whelen all take the same shell plate and buttons. I use a label maker and put my componenets in the organizers, then have a list of what's needed for each set-up.

If I have a press set up, the powder canister and empty primer box are ALWAYS on the table top. That way you know what's in the loader if you leave and come back (lot's easier to get mixed up than you'd think....regular vs magnum promers, etc.)

hemostats are the best fish hook removers you can get. If you fish get 3 or 4 sets.

Calipers...there are very, very few times I reload that I don't use the calipers. OAL, crimp, etc.

I have the tools (pliers, etc.) as listed above.

Make sure you have a solid place to bolt it. Had to rebuild mine.