The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 6, 2017, 06:05 PM   #1
kyguy1

First Mosin

Got my first Mosin, from local gun shop. It's a 1926, hex receiver, izhevsk marked. Matching bolt and receiver. Pretty good condition, nice finish. Has hammer and sickle marking on receiver. Overall really happy with it. First impressions, man it's heavy, but I like it! Love the weight of it and how it feels. Bolt action is pretty smooth. Trigger seems nice. It has a lot of what I assume is Cosmoline on it, especially in the bolt area, and receiver. I think some of that is brake grease too, as the guy at the shop told me he had put some in it to keep it lubricated. It seems to have very little wear. I can't wait to get to shoot it some. But first I have to clean out and remove this gunk/grease/cosmoline or whatever it is. I can do it myself, or the gunshop who sold it to me said they would do it for like 30 bucks for me. I just want to get this gunk out and get it to where it's ready to shoot, then I will be good to go to keep it cleaned and maintained myself. In the meantime, I'll keep learning all I can about it. Should I let the gunsmith clean the cosmoline out for me and get it ready to fire? Or should I try and do it myself? Thanks.
Old January 6, 2017, 07:33 PM   #2
Ernest T

I'd say clean it yourself. It is a good way to get to know how the rifle works and goes together, since you need to strip it down to get all the cosmoline off. Its not a hard process, and there are many "how to do it" videos and guides online.

Be sure to really clean the chamber area. Leaving cosmoline in the chamber will contribute to the "sticky bolt" syndrome common to many Mosins. If you leave cosmoline in there the bolt gets harder and harder to open as you shoot.

Plus cleaning off the cosmoline is sort of a right of passage for first time Mosin owners.

Last edited by Ernest T; January 6, 2017 at 07:40 PM.
Old January 6, 2017, 08:49 PM   #3
kyguy1

Yea I'll probably try and just do it myself. Although I may still let a gunsmith fix it up nice for me smooth it up a bit. I think my stock is postwar,not 100% but pretty sure, it looks to be laminate and has what I think is the refurbishment mark from Ukraine, although the stock also has the triangle Izzy marks too. The receiver and bolt are definitely prewar, they are matching serial numbers. Still trying to figure that out.
Old January 7, 2017, 03:58 PM   #4
tobnpr

Refurbed stocks (and often receivers) will usually l have a "diver's flag" (my term)- a square with a diagonal line across the corners.

I've had dozens of rifles come where the bolt was never completely disassembled and cleaned, nor was the front of the receiver at the barrel breech/locking lug recesses. Be sure to flush that area well, using a 20 gauge chamber brush in a cordless drill if you can. The area in front of the lug recesses is difficult to reach, is often neglected and a source of "sticky bolt" and other issues.
www.biggorillagunworks.com

Last edited by tobnpr; January 7, 2017 at 04:07 PM.
Old January 7, 2017, 04:59 PM   #5
CDR_Glock

30 dollars is a bargain for a painful process. I'd opt for that.

I modified mine into an Archangel with a Timney Trigger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old January 8, 2017, 09:53 AM   #6
jersurf101

cleaning the cosmolene out of my 91\30 was the fun part for me. I stripped the rifle down to its pieces and soaked them in mineral spirits and wiped them off. I steamed the stock over a pot of boiling water to get the cosmolene out of it. In hot climates or just the summer I bet the sun would do it. I would be careful though as I am not sure if the hot sun would warp the wood. This process taught me a lot about my rifle and I am glad I did not hand her off to a gun smith to do it.
Old January 8, 2017, 12:38 PM   #7
Berserker

I got lucky mine was clean. Bought it at Dunhams.
Old January 8, 2017, 12:44 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

"...clean out and remove this gunk/grease/cosmoline or whatever it is..." Doing it isn't difficult. Messy, it is. Really just requires mineral spirits and something big enough to drop the whole thing into. (Best to take the stock off.) Leave it there for 24 hours, then wipe off the gunk with rags, oil the metal and BLO the stock. No need for boiling water for the stock, but it might need more than 24 hours.
Mosin are usually shellacked and not oiled as well. Stalin wouldn't spend the money and his minions had a whole lot more rifles to look after. Shellac is cheap.
Do not dump the gunk down any drain. It's petroleum grease and is toxic. Don't leave the rags laying around either.
$30 is robbery. Guy is selling a rifle that is not ready to shoot. Mind you, if the thing was really cheap.....
Old January 9, 2017, 07:06 PM   #9
TRX

The bolt comes apart without tools, like a puzzle toy. Clean it out and then oil it lightly before reassembly; there are all sorts of specialized gun lubricants, I use plain old 3-in-1 oil.

Removing the stock is a really good idea. No telling what kinds of ick, guck, and schmutz is embedded between the stock and metalwork; it's a good idea to pull it all apart. Some models require driving pins out of the barrel bands. Don't worry, it's a Russian rifle, so working on one isn't rocket surgery. There's a nice photo set of complete disassembly here: http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinDisassembly.htm (don't take the extractor off the bolt or take the firing pin loose from the cocking piece, at least, not unless they're broken or otherwise damaged...)
Old January 10, 2017, 05:22 PM   #10
Model12Win

I'd save them DOLLAH DOLLAH BILLS YAWL and do it myself the RIGHT way.
Old January 10, 2017, 06:38 PM   #11
jimbob86

Cleaning it yourself is easy, will cost you about 10 bucks for paint thinner and maybe 5 more for something to soak it in (a salvaged section of rain gutter and some heavy duty plastic will work) and a paint brush ....and you'll learn a lot about the gun in the process. Put the extra 15 bucks toward ammo.
Old January 12, 2017, 09:48 PM   #12
tobnpr

Depends on how much of, and type of, cosmoline...
I've had consistencies from thick sludgy oil to near solid grease.
Light coating, to filled solid- including the bore.

Entire rifle, done "correctly", thirty bucks wouldn't come close to covering my time.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old January 12, 2017, 09:50 PM   #13
Model12Win

Who knows how thorough they will be.

I'd stop hand wringing, be a man, and do it myself (as any man should). No maps, no directions, no dang instruction manual. That is the MAN way!!!
Old January 13, 2017, 09:55 AM   #14
Ernest T

Quote:
Who knows how thorough they will be.

I'd stop hand wringing, be a man, and do it myself (as any man should). No maps, no directions, no dang instruction manual. That is the MAN way!!!
Hell yea! You can take any firearm apart with a screwdriver and an hammer, and if you break anything you always have your duct tape for the repair. Go for it!
Old January 13, 2017, 11:28 AM   #15
Model12Win

Well if I could somehow guarantee that the gunshop would:

A. Clean the gun extremely thoroughly, getting every nook and cranny perfectly clean.

B. Not damage the rifle in any way during the process, especially the fragile wood finish.

All for 30 dollars... then okay, sure. It's somewhat of a chore, but personally I'd rather take the time, do it RIGHT, get it CLEAN on the first go, and maybe learn a thing or two about the rifle in the process. Taking apart a three line rifle is as easy as it comes.
Old January 14, 2017, 06:32 AM   #16
iraiam

I spent a few hours cleaning each of my Mosin rifles when I got them. For only 30 bucks, you probably won't get a very thorough cleaning. If you are unsre how to disassemble/assemble it, there are tons of Youtube videos that show how to do it.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old January 18, 2017, 03:23 PM   #17
redraif

Glad I stumbled upon this... getting my first tonight...
Old January 18, 2017, 04:03 PM   #18
kilimanjaro

$30 may just get you a pot of boiling water dumped over the metal and wood. Take it apart and enjoy the process.

A 1926 Mosin should be much better made than the WWII examples, take care of it.
Old January 20, 2017, 10:55 AM   #19
doofus47

$30 is not much, but if you have the time, you probably will enjoy doing it yourself. It's your rifle now.

Lot's of advice (and people to give more advice) in the curios and relics forum.