The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 16, 2015, 08:03 PM   #1
ligonierbill

Hogue Stocks - full bedding worth it?

I'm looking at these for a rebarreled Mauser 98. Question: Is the full aluminum bedded version of their stock worth the extra $100? I am setting this up in 25-06, so we're looking for a long range tack driver. More to it than the stock, I know, but one piece at a time.
Old December 16, 2015, 08:18 PM   #2
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

I think that it is more of a choice, as I like wood stocks, with plain epoxy bedding, and a floated barrel. If it's done right, it works just fine. Hogue is rubber, and supposed to be more recoil absorbing, but with the right pad on a wood sporter, I don't know how much truth there is to that claim. Their fully bedded stock is really just to stiffen up the forearm, so it wont flex, which says that it must have some without it.
Old December 17, 2015, 09:36 PM   #3
603Country

I have one of the fully bedded Hogue stocks. I liked it, but it was too heavy.
Old December 17, 2015, 09:41 PM   #4
ligonierbill

I decided to go with wood, ordered one from Richards Microfit in California. I will start a new thread on this project.
Old December 17, 2015, 10:22 PM   #5
ligonierbill

First "modern" project rifle

As I noted in earlier posts, I have built two flintlocks from Jim Chambers kits. I highly recommend these. Pricey, but fine wood and components, and absolutely historically accurate. I have returned to my next rock lock, one that has been on my bench for a long time, and preparing to mount the lock. This one started with a stock blank and components, more challenging.

But starting today, it is sharing the bench with one of those new fangled turnbolts from Paul Mauser. I bought a sporterized (won't say Bubba'd - it was a pretty good job) Turkish Mauser with the original 8x57 barrel cut to 18". Not sure why they cut it so short, but I bought it to replace the barrel, stock, and whatever else makes sense. Got a Wheeler barrel vice and action wrench and got my day's resistance training twisting that bugger off. First lesson: the threads are dinged up. Hmmm, maybe Bubba was involved. If they were in good shape, I would consider mounting a new barrel myself. But they're not, so I called E. R. Shaw up near my old hometown. They can mount a new barrel for a reasonable price, but...I was thinking to do a 25-06, and they won't do that one on a 'Turk" action. Not too surprised. I got Jerry Kuhnhausen's book, and these Turkish Mausers (actually made in Germany) have a lot of variation in heat treatment. Shaw will do a .257 Roberts, so that will have to do. Hey, it's a quarter bore and a lot stouter than my 25-20. So next trip to Pittsburgh I'll drop off the action in Bridgeville.

Ordered a stock from Richards Microfit in California. Now, fitting and finishing a stock is something I am comfortable with. But I never tried checkering. New learning experience.

My flintlocks I browned in keeping with 18th century practice. That was pretty easy. This time I will need to blue the barrel and maybe touch up the action (first guy did pretty well there). Another learning experience.

I'll post some pictures with progress. Any advice is appreciated.
Old December 17, 2015, 10:59 PM   #6
jmr40

I don't care at all for the Hogue stocks. They weigh a ton. The pillar bedded version is a lot lighter, but still heavy, and should do just fine. I bought one rifle that came from the factory with the full aluminum bedding block and couldn't wait to get rid of it.