The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 22, 2012, 02:30 PM   #51
Metal god

That should be a great cal. for them . The .308 , 30-06 can beat you up a bit but the recoil pad helps . When you get the rifle look through all the papers . There is one that has a code for a free cheek pad .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old October 11, 2012, 08:59 AM   #52
learningcurve

Just got that free check pad ordered yesterday, now to look around for a decent scope. I just really want one that lets in a lot of light because there are times that I dont have a lot of light on the range I use. I got a simmons scope for a 22lr that when the light is not perfect at the range the scope is useless. I want to avoid that mistake this time around, does that tasco allow for low light shooting? Thanks for the advice.
Old October 11, 2012, 09:06 AM   #53
Rifleman1776

Good review. To the point. Sounds like a great rifle value.
I question the need for more magnification. My choice in hunting scopes is about 1.5X5. After all that brings a 500 yard critter to within the equivalent of 100 yards, an open sight shot. But, that's me.
Old October 11, 2012, 02:59 PM   #54
Metal god

I'm sorry but I have not used the scope in low light yet . The range I go to is out doors and I've only been there while the sun was out . I'm in San Diego so the sun is always out I've played around looking through the scope around dusk and at night . Although the light is good it is not great for sure . You may want to consider getting the Oversized 50mm lens . Tasco does make a 3-9x50 world class scope http://www.amazon.com/Tasco-World-3-...d+class+3-9x50

As for needing more magnification . Your right , the range I go to has targets at 300 yards . With the tasco 3-9x40 I have no problem seeing the target at 300 yards . I shot a 3 1/2 " three shot group at 300 yards so it is plenty of scope . If and or when I go hunting I now know that scope will be fine . It's also not likely I'll be trying to take down any game any farther then that .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old October 12, 2012, 11:48 AM   #55
barefoot

As a neophyte gun guy, and one with a big, wide pragmatic streak, this rifle appeals to me. My other rifles are milsurp, minute-of-man types, and I feel the need to add an MOA gun to the mix. What I'm wondering about the American is if it will be a durable, long-wearing gun - will it hold up to 20 seasons of hunting (or 20 years in the safe as an inexpensive, just-in-case gun)?

I'm not sure of course, but this may be shaping up to be one of those products that the experts will look at like a calf at a new gate, but that intrepid souls will buy and reap the benefits of getting in on the ground floor of a line that slowly and steadily gains acceptance and increased value. After all, we've established that it's fully capable of tight groups ....

Thoughts?
Old October 12, 2012, 12:34 PM   #56
Metal god

Barefoot

Quote:
What I'm wondering about the American is if it will be a durable, long-wearing gun - will it hold up to 20 seasons of hunting (or 20 years in the safe as an inexpensive, just-in-case gun)?
Cus it's a brand new design know one will really know for a while . The only concern I really have is the bedding system . Over a longer period of time and a few thousand rounds . Will those stainlees steel blocks get loose in the stock . How ever if you plan is to put less then a thousound rounds through it for the life of the gun I think your good to go .

Quote:
this may be shaping up to be one of those products that the experts will look at like a calf at a new gate, but that intrepid souls will buy and reap the benefits of getting in on the ground floor of a line that slowly and steadily gains acceptance and increased value.
IMO this is where we are headed . I sure hope so . After market parts ( stocks , barrels ) in the future would be great

Old October 14, 2012, 01:01 PM   #57
Mannlicher

I picked up a new American in .308 Winchester a couple of weeks ago, at the Bass Pro in Birmingham.
With a new Redfield Revolution 3-9X mounted, and using Federal factory 150 grain ammunition, it gave me a three group best of .75 inches. Every group was under an inch.
The scope tracks beautifully, and stays on zero when set. Even got a $30 rebate on the scope, making it an even better deal.
The rifle was a bargain, on sale at $379, and then a discount for using a new Bass Pro Visa card, and $65 in Bass Pro points taken off.
Ruger sent me a free cheek piece as well. I am very pleased,

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old November 1, 2012, 05:51 AM   #58
Metal god

Just got back from the range and was reaching a bit today . I started out making sure the gun was zeroed @ 100yds . I started out using my friends rest/sled/POS http://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Stead...words=gun+rest
here are my first shots @ 100yds using the rest

I was getting very frustrated at the grouping (I shoot better then that ) . Then I noticed the way the front of the stock had to sit on the rest . The stock was making contact with the barrel when I was shooting . So I stopped using that rest and used some carpeted blocks of wood from there forward . I had the gun resting on the blocks almost at the magwell area . This kept all presures off the barrel and I shot this group with the next shots I took

Now that I new it was not me I started to reach out to the 300yd target . This is my 2nd try the first was a joke

After that I adjusted my scope 4 clicks up and shot again . There was a little wind out there but I did not compensate for it . here is that target . It does look like I was shooting a little right in all the shots . I may not have had the scoped zeroed perfect .

I wrote In my original review of this rifle that the stock can make contact with the barrel and may effect your accuracy . I now can say it WILL make contact when you rest the rifle up at the front of the stock . I have not used a bypod with this rifle yet . It apears if you do not charge the bi-pod and just let the gun rest on it . The stock will make contact with the barrel and it WILL effect your accuracy . Im not even sure I charging it will work . I do have a bi-pod on my Savage . I think the next time I take the American out I will try it with a bi-pod and see if it's any better .

All-in-all I'm still very happy with the rifle and do recommend it .

Old November 5, 2012, 02:35 AM   #59
Metal god

Well I just got done sanding the heck out of the inside of the barrel chanel of my stock When I was done I had given the barrel an extra 1/6 to 3/32 of space all the way around . I think this will work . It definitely has a bigger gap between the barrel and the stock and is is still ridgid when handling the rifle . I used 1/2" flexable ruber conduit as a sanding block . Started with 80gr to 150gr to 220gr to 320gr . Sorry I forgot to take a before picture. Trust me the stock was almost touching the barrel in some areas .