The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 24, 2009, 07:06 PM   #1
ddeyo1

allright. Ive been putting off getting started on reloading for a few years now because i have no idea where to start. after my trip to get ammo today i was nearly brought to tears by the lack of ammo, and what was there was horribly expensive. Wondering if anybody can point me in the right direction to get started. What to get, what kind to get, and maybe where to get it. Ill probobly be reloading for a 243, a 257 weatherby, 30 carbine, and 44 mag.
Thanks
Old February 24, 2009, 07:22 PM   #2
Tex S

First, read the sticky's at the top of the forum. Then go get 3 or 4 good reloading manuals and read them all the way through. Then read them again.

Once you do this you will have a better understanding of the concepts and materials involved in safe reloading practices.
Old February 24, 2009, 09:25 PM   #3
markr

In addition to reading the manuals and sticky's, read some magazines with reloading articles as well. I just got my latest issue of "Shooting Times" in the mail. There are a few reloading articles this month that are worth checking out. There are also entire magazines dedicated to reloading. You should read those too.

You can get reloading manuals from the library too, and copy pages if you need to. You can also buy used reloading manuals, even the old ones have useful information. The most important thing is to get the most recent data, from the most recent references and manuals, of the bullets and powders you plan to shoot, before you decide on a starting load. You should reference multiple sources for load data of a given load, to ensure your safety .

Washed up 11B1P
Old February 24, 2009, 11:10 PM   #4
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.....after you have done a search for the question you want to ask. The litle "search this forum" button is great tool because chances are someone has already asked the same question and it has been answered. We just get tired of answering the same questions over and over. If you can't find the answer there, please ask!! We are all willing to help. Kind of a hard time to get into reloading....components can be really hard to find. Good luck. BTW, I reload for .243.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~