The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 14, 2006, 12:15 PM   #1
Greg Bell

Cheapest brass .45 around these days?

Guys,

I want to start shooting .45 a lot more. I am considering getting my reloader going, but would feel dumb if I was only able to put them together for $1 cheaper than I could get them from the store. Andy smoking deals on .45 these days? Brass only please.
Doomsday: Colt 6920 with Aimpoint t-2
Old November 14, 2006, 02:13 PM   #2
swmike

Sometimes you get lucky--

I was at the range yesterday and the RO asked me if I reloaded. Said to grab a box and go back to the storage area and grab some brass.

This range does not sort and sell, they just sell to a salvage operation (that may or may not do so). I took a cardboard box (40S&W New Ammo Case) full home. Had to sort it but lots of .45, .40SW, 9mm and .380 brass. All FREE!

The cheapest brass is that that you can pick up at the range. Also, be sure to save all the brass from any new ammo you buy. Scrounge from friends.

Only as a last resort buy used brass. Check E-bay. Lots of deals. Usually in lots that will fill a "Flat Rate USPS shipping box" to keep total costs down.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old November 14, 2006, 05:45 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Range foundlings. Definitely. Especially a rural range where the local LEO's train will often have brass that is, ironically, not policed.

If you go to buy brass, buy good brass because it is more consistent in case volume and dimensions. Try Scharch Manufacturing's Top Brass or Starline. Get 1000. This will cost you a little over $125.00 plus shipping. Figure you will get a minimum of 10 loadings out of each case, (more, but you lose a few cases over time) and much more if you load to target levels (25+ reloads are not uncommon for wad loads). So, you will average about $0.013 in brass consumption for each round. Add nearly $0.02 for primer. If you run a 5 grain load of powder, at $20/lb, including sales tax you would be out another penny and a half for powder, then you've got the bullet. You can usually get H&G 68 style 200 grain cast SWC bullets for around $60/1000, so the bullet costs you $0.06. Total: Now about $0.10 a round, or $5 a box. To beat this price down, figure to start casting your own. You can often get wheel weights for free. Where you can't, the scrap yards typically pay about $0.20/lb for the scrap so if you offer the local tire repair $0.25/lb, they may well bump the scrap dealer in your favor. Figure that after pulling metal tabs you get, say, 25 bullets per pound, that's $0.01 per bullet and then you've got to lube it. Still, under $0.02, I'm sure. Anyway, this gets your reloads down to $0.05-$0.06/round and $2.50-$3.00/box of 50 loaded and ready. Of course, I am assuming your time is donated free of charge.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 14, 2006, 06:17 PM   #4
rlong5

Are you looking for deals on .45 brass; or looking for low prices on brass .45 ammo to compare your costs with?

If the latter... my recent experience is that $9.50 per box of 50 is about as good as I can find locally (Remington UMC on sale at Dick's). That's why I'm browsing the "reloading" threads.
Old November 14, 2006, 10:23 PM   #5
amamnn

L ike Starline -- the price is not too high and it lasts and lasts and lasts.
Old November 15, 2006, 09:31 PM   #6
JDG

This place not bad
http://www.millseatcomponents.com/Our_Products.html
Old December 8, 2006, 04:37 PM   #7
yodarkritch

Brass

See ammunition reloading classified in SHOTGUN NEWS The current issue has two outfits offerring 45 for 24.50 and 29.50 per M

yodar