The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 27, 2006, 09:36 PM   #1
mr00jimbo

Just got my first shotgun!

870 Express Magnum! I am a handgun guy and just got into long arms so I'm a novice to this gun, havent even shot it yet. got it a few hours ago...

what does the magnum mean on this gun? Pardon my ignornace. Also should it be ready to shoot outta the box, or should I clean it? Last Q, can I clean it without taking the barrel out, or do I have to take it apart to do so, seems a bit hard to take it apart all the time..
thanks!!
Old July 27, 2006, 11:15 PM   #2
LSU12ga

congrats

i have a 870 super magnum.

magnum means you can fire 3'' loads.

i'm not to sure if you can fire it right away, i dont see why not. removal of the barrel is a peice of cake, simple unscrew the magizine cap, open the chamber 1/2 way and remove the barrel.
Old July 28, 2006, 07:45 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Please read the manual and follow the directions.

870s are as easy as Lego sets to take apart and put together. The modular design is great.

To start, use the lightest loads you can find. Trust me on this. A good choice would be 7/8 oz loads. The heavier stuff needs to be worked up to.

It'll take about 250,000 shells to wear that out.

Better get started....
Old July 28, 2006, 07:54 AM   #4
Lee Lapin

Congratulations- use it in good health.

DEFINITELY clean it before you shoot it. Especially the barrel/bore/chamber. Remington coats new guns with a preservative before they leave the factory. If you leave the stuff in the chamber it can in some cases help cause fired hulls to stick, and cause difficult extraction. Sometimes on rare occasions hulls will stick even in a clean chamber, and changing ammunition brands is the solution to that one.

870s are among the easiest repeating shotguns available to field strip and clean. The directions are in the owners manual. Learn how to do it, and get familiar with how your shotgun works. Learn to manipulate the gun properly by reading the owners manual before you ever put the first shell in it.

First thing to do as far as shooting is concerned is to determine which eye is your master eye, and make sure your master eye and your 'handedness' are on the same side. Make a circle with your fingers and thumb on one hand, hold your hand out at arms length with both eyes open, and center a small object (doorknob etc) in the circle. Close one eye, then the other, alternating left-right. The eye that's open when the object is still centered in the circle is your master eye, and ideally you should shoot from that side also.

Remember- safety first. It's a bad thing to have an accident with any firearm, but shotguns at close range can be tremendously destructive. Be careful.

Start out with light birdshot loads as you're learning, 7/8 ounce or 1 ounce shot loads are likely to kick less. Learn the basics of gun mount, get someone to teach you if you have no experience at all. Proper form will do a lot to reduce the punishment of recoil.

Now, go wear it out- dare you!

lpl/nc
Old July 28, 2006, 12:08 PM   #5
mr00jimbo

Thank you for the replies! Is it true that you can clean one through the open action going down the barrel like that, or should I always take the barrel out?
Old July 28, 2006, 12:31 PM   #6
9mmMike

If you have a flexible "snake" you can clean from the chamber but really, why bother? It's so easy to pull the barrel and in my opinion, it's more of a hassle to handle the assembled gun while cleaning than it is to handle the barrel and receiver seperately.
As LSU12ga said, just unscrew the mag cap, open the slide half way and the barrel comes right off. Assembly is reverse of that.
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old July 28, 2006, 12:55 PM   #7
LSU12ga

take off ther barrel

if your 870 is synthetic, then TAKE OFF THE BARREL

mine is sybnthentic and now has some lovely stains courtesy of gun scrubber.
Old August 1, 2006, 09:31 AM   #8
Keegster

Congrats! Have fun with it.