The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 26, 2006, 06:54 PM   #1
Tronny

Mossberg 500 help

I recently bought the Mossberg 500 18.5" barell shotgun

Brought it home and the Ejecter Follower was stuck solid in the receiver (even after taking out the magazine and spring.. was just stuck in receiver)
Took it to where I bought it and he got it loose with a wooden dowel. all is well. I oiled it and the reciever where it toutches.
After I shot it a couple times, it kept getting stuck when the mag would empty. It looks like it just fits a little too well into the reciever hole, so when ever it has a little force behind it (the spring even) it locks up.

I emailed Mossberg asking if there were any tips or pointers, of course they say to send in the whole gun.

Anybody had this problem before? any ideas to remedy it?
Old July 26, 2006, 08:04 PM   #2
webbee

Sounds like a manufacturing defect. I would ship it back to Mossberg, because if you mess with it, you may void the warranty.
Old July 27, 2006, 11:43 AM   #3
Tronny

I was hoping I wouldn't have to, but I suppose I might as well.
dangit!
Old July 27, 2006, 12:35 PM   #4
flesheatingvirus

I agree. You could replace the follower, but what if the defect is in the magazine tube? or the receiver? Better safe than sorry. Send it back.
Old July 31, 2006, 05:55 PM   #5
Tronny

it was sent off in the mail via UPS today.
Any body have experience with the mossberg repair service? any idea when I might get the gun back? It should only take a day's transit as I'm in texas (Mossberg repair center is in Eagle Pass, TX)