The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 15, 2002, 11:16 AM   #1
Shmackey

What are "Belt Liners" that eliminate "Belt Keepers"?

I'm looking for a nylon belt and I'm getting confused by all the options. Some folks would have you think that you need a belt liner, which is some kind of velcro-powered sub-belt. What's the deal?
Old January 15, 2002, 01:17 PM   #2
AK103K

I think your what your refering to is a duty type belt for police etc. . The sub belt is your "pants" belt that has the loop part of the velcro on the outside. The "duty" belt has the hook part of the velcro on the inside. When you put the duty belt on, the velcros mate and holds the duty belt in place. If your looking for a good nylon carry belt, check out "The Wilderness" belts. They are well made, carry weight well, and adjust without "holes" for that nice snug feeling.

www.thewilderness.com
Old January 15, 2002, 02:50 PM   #3
Shmackey

Now THAT's a belt. I've been looking for a sturdy nylon, IWB holster-compatible belt. And most of what I've seen, I guess, are those duty belts with inner belts, velcro, and whatnot.

I'll order one of these today. But I'm curious: does anyone know of a similar belt that has one of those quick-relase, backpack-style, squeeze-and-it-releases buckles? I want one of those too...
Old January 15, 2002, 11:53 PM   #4
Coronach

We have 3 kinds of belts in use with my department:

1. Mixson real leather belts, high-gloss.

2. Nylon belt with the release like you described.

3. Uncle-Mike's el cheapola crapola nylon with glossy crap over it that looks ever so cheesy.

(Can you tell how I feel about #3?)

#1 is solid, rugged and dependable, but stiff (its leather, what do you expect?)

#2 is rugged, dependable and comfortable, but it looks less professional. Thus far I can think of no instances of those belt clasps giving way under pressure from a fight or weight from, ah, excessive donut-induced girth.

#3 is completely a bad idea. It looks bad. It tears easily. It allows your holster to twist easily on the belt, and if you have a Level III, that can make drawing the gun problematic. It is a waste of money.

I have figured out part numbers/item codes if you're that interested in what i know works and what I know doesn't.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old January 15, 2002, 11:54 PM   #5
Coronach

OTOH, if you're looking for a good off-duty belt, check out, I think, either Lou Alessi or Mitch Rosen.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein