The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 2, 2016, 04:57 PM   #1
valkabit6

Kit to mount handguns on door of safe?

Years ago I've seen pictures of handguns mounted on the interior of a gun safe door. I don't remember it as a option when I bought my safe, so I never got one. Is there something available to mount handguns on the door?
Old August 2, 2016, 05:14 PM   #2
Indawind

Liberty has one for their safes. I don't know about after market, universal stuff.
Old August 2, 2016, 05:42 PM   #3
Sharkbite

Both Cabelas and Sportsmans wherehouse offer door hanging pocket type of storage options.
Old August 2, 2016, 05:59 PM   #4
surveyor

If the interior is carpeted,
Use the acorn velcro holsters, with the mindset of being semi permanent in placement.
They do better if not repositioned, as they loosen the knap of the carpet when repositioned.

http://www.amazon.com/Acorn-Velcro-P.../dp/B004GZ96VO
Old August 2, 2016, 06:15 PM   #5
smee78

There are numerous companies that offer the door kits. I think Cannon has them too.
Old August 7, 2016, 02:29 AM   #6
FuzzyBunny

I use one of these cut to size: https://www.amazon.com/Over-Door-Org...shoe+organizer
Old August 7, 2016, 10:31 AM   #7
g.willikers

Wha'?
Duct tape not good enough?
But seriously, if you don't mind your pistols not being covered, there's some very simple ways to attach S hooks to hang them by the trigger guard that takes up very little space.
Holsters can hold moisture.
Old August 7, 2016, 10:52 AM   #8
Pahoo

Options

As others have mentioned, many safe manufacturers provide these kits. Mine came with plastic post option.

On most safes, whether carpeted or not, the inside panel if just a sheet of sheet metal that cover the locking components. These are easily removes and you can mounts these plastic posts to it. If it isn't lined then it should be with a made-made felt of whatever they call this stuff. Home Depot sells these plastic button heads that are used for this application. As friend of mine bought his safe with holsters that attach to the door with Velcro. He didn't want to trust them and gave them to me. I use them but don't hang them ....

Be Safe !!!
Old August 7, 2016, 11:47 PM   #9
ballardw

Make sure you get something with some flexibility. You might find out, by closing the safe door very slowly that one or more pistols may touch rifles or other items already in the safe.

Being able to relocate things attached to the door is very helpful as almost every time I rearrange the rifles one of the pistols contacts something.
So I move the pistol a few inches. Or the rifles.
Old August 11, 2016, 04:16 PM   #10
valkabit6

I think I've found a good solution, magnets. These are very strong magnets for their size, and they are rubber coated, so the guns & the safe will not get nicked up.

I tried a round magnet, but it allowed the gun to pivot even though it was plenty strong enough (32.6 Lb of strength) to hold the gun. I ended up using two rectangular magnets per gun, a single magnet had enough strength (8.26 LB) to hold the gun up without sliding, but the single magnet was canted at a angle I wasn't comfortable with. I used the pair of magnets end to end, and they held the gun firmly with no issues.

I used a Freedom Arms model 83 in the photos, but I found 2 magnets was also better with a 1911, (gun still canted)

I tried a pair of plastic coated magnets as well, but the slicker plastic allowed the gun to slide down the door.

The magnets were also able to hold with a piece of cardboard stuck to the door of the safe, so they'd probably hold on carpeting. If not a third magnet added in would definitely hold on carpeting.

For anyone interested in trying this for themselves I bought the magnets from K&J Magnetics. The part number is BX084BR-N52. These magnets are $5 each., and they're "Rare Earth" magnets in grade N52 (strength). You can buy your own rare earth magnets & coat them with plasti-dip, but if you have to buy everything any way, I doubt you'd save much.

Last edited by valkabit6; August 11, 2016 at 04:37 PM.
Old August 11, 2016, 06:16 PM   #11
valkabit6

Couple more pics. Magnets are narrow so no issues even with big revolvers & depth of the safe. I do need more magnets though, and maybe a 2nd door
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13957515_1405465476135626_1557509692_n.jpg (52.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 14012164_1405465466135627_315006931_n.jpg (50.3 KB, 17 views)
Old August 11, 2016, 06:33 PM   #12
FITASC

Quote:
Make sure you get something with some flexibility. You might find out, by closing the safe door very slowly that one or more pistols may touch rifles or other items already in the safe.
That and horizontal shelves as well. I use my shelves with the white plastic-coated wire racks that hold 6 handguns each
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa