The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 28, 2013, 03:39 PM   #26
JimDandy

Again that depends on your state. In some states no gun signs have the force of law, and its illegal to ignore them. In some states they don't, and its just a bad idea. Ask a local lawyer if you need to be sure, or check your state laws yourself on the internet.

And sometimes they're legally required but have limited applications... For example in MY state, that may not be the same as YOUR state, it's illegal to carry in a bar, but you can in a restaurant that has a bar section AS LONG AS you don't enter the bar section itself. The bowling alley I bowl at has a restaurant and bar. I can legally bowl, and eat food in the restaurant, but I cannot walk into the bar section to check the score of the game on the big screen. However, all of these restaurants are required to post a no-firearms placard. Most do so on the front door, rather than on the bar door.

And for the record, I don't carry while bowling- I hit my leg with the ball from time to time as it is, and don't need to hit the ball on my pistol.
Old February 28, 2013, 05:34 PM   #27
hermannr

Okie47: Open carry of firearms is legal in Alabama. If you can legally carry your pistol in the open, why would you worry about a spare ammo mag?

To the MUST Concealed Carry types here...maybe in Texas, but not many other places. Not even Oklahoma any more.

Those with criminal intent must hide their weapons, those that are carrying for their own self defense are better served by OC if legal. It is a great deterent to having to use that carry. I have OC for 43 years now, works great at getting those that would harm you, to just leave you for easier pickings.
Old February 28, 2013, 05:36 PM   #28
JimDandy

Quote:
Those with criminal intent must hide their weapons,
But not everyone who "hides" them has criminal intent. I happen to prefer Concealed Carry as my first line of Retention.
Old February 28, 2013, 07:49 PM   #29
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercyfulFate
For whomever said that which isn't illegal is legal....to a point. In my state, open carry isn't illegal but if you do it and you have a LTC, they will revoke your LTC.
What state would that be? Can you cite any cases in which this has happened? I have heard of it happening -- once -- in Connecticut, and the individual appealed and got his permit reinstated.

Who is "they"? Who is the issuing authority in your state, and on what grounds can "they" revoke a valid carry permit/license without a conviction?
Old February 28, 2013, 09:31 PM   #30
ClydeFrog

No guns; no illegal guns...

I'd check the local/state/county laws or ordinances. In my area, new state laws were put in place that reduced the # of public areas(offices, parks, sports venues, etc) that could refuse concealed carry(valid Div of Licensing licenses).
No guns or no firearms signs to me, mean no illegal firearms. Unless the sign or SOP clearly states it, I would carry my firearm.

If a security guard, bouncer or off-duty sworn LE officer asked me to leave or had a problem, Id just go. It's never been a big issue in my metro area.

Even after the tragic CO movie theater shooting last summer(2012), I do not even see uniformed cops in the movie complexes now(in CT/metro New York City). In central Florida, many of the theaters have off duty sheriffs deputies(that get around $37.00/hr) or a few sworn police officers($43.00-45.00/hr).

ClydeFrog