The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 10, 2013, 08:38 PM   #1
sirdiealot

remington or girsan 1911

ok let me ask this a little differently.
1. would you get the Remington 1911 R1 45ACP 5" Stainless for 707.00
2. would you get the GIRSAN MC1911HC 45ACP 5" Hard Chrome for 479.00
3. would you get the Para GI Expert Stainless 45acp for 600.00

whats the best buy you think

...Wildly popular all over the world, mostly in countries where people don’t carry guns, and cops don’t have to actually shoot people with theirs.
Old February 10, 2013, 09:35 PM   #2
lamarw

I can not provide you with an educated recommendations simply because I do not own or am I familiar with two of the pistols.

I do own a Remington R1, and I would recommend it. Although, mine is not the SS model. You might also check and see if Remington still provides the Platinum Warranty Plan with the R1. Then compare this warranty with the warranty plans of the other two pistols. It provides you with free shipping with any warranty service plus you get a free first year inspection/cleaning/servicing with free shipping. Turn-around time with Remington is 7 days or less.

Shipping a firearm back to the warranty center can be an expensive proposition not to mention the time required for fulfilling the warranty claim. I did take advantage of the first year service; although I have not had a warranty claim.

P.S.; The R1 is an American mfg'ed and assembled product to the best of my knowledge. I do not know about the other two pistols.
Old February 11, 2013, 09:20 AM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

The Para GI Expert is also made completely in the USA (North Carolina), and IMHO is a better pistol and a better value than the Remington R1. I've never heard of Girsan but, if it's Turkish, it may (note: "may") be the same as the Tisas/Trabzon that is imported under a couple of different names. IF that's the pistol, it's a solid 1911 but really bare bones and not in the same class as the Para GI Expert.
Old February 11, 2013, 11:29 PM   #4
TennJed

Remington is 100% U.S. made and a darn fine gun. I can't comment on the others, but bought a R1 stainless about 8 months ago for $650 and would gladly pay $750 for one.