The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 19, 2010, 12:18 PM   #1
montanatechie

Taurus Judge .45LC (Favorite handload Recipe)

Hi Everyone, The Taurus Judge is getting popular these days.
The .45LC round is quite a hard hitter for an old design, I am quite impressed with it.
However these rounds can be hard to find and relatively expensive.

Does anybody have a good handload Recipe for the .45LC for use in the judge?

How about a favorite commercial factory round for the judge? Anybody have a link to the best price?

Im excited to see what everyone else is shooting in these new unique firearms!
Old October 24, 2010, 11:45 AM   #2
montanatechie

Update...

After some reading I found this to be quite informative regarding the .45LC round and it's contemporary uses and loads.

"http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3372251"

"The 45LC "+P" is WAY, way hotter than most other "+P" versions of various calibers. It's not the usual "maybe 10% hotter" situation.

What happened was, Ruger started building 45LC guns on platforms made for the 44Magnum, and with the same steel and heat-treat in both cases. This led to 45LC guns that were grossly over-strength for the caliber. 45LC+P loads were built marked "RUGER ONLY!!!" and they meant it.

Since 2005, Ruger has been building the New Vaquero in 45LC which is NOT a 44Magnum-class gun. Buffalo Bore's website on their 45LC+P ammo specifically excludes the NewVaq from consideration with that ammo - some of which exceeds most 44Mag ammo in terms of raw power (325gr hardcast doing 1,300fps!!!).

Buffalo Bore also separately lists 45LC ammo that's as hot as you can go in the NewVaq, Colt SAA (post-WW2) and other more "normal" 45LC guns including the Taurus Judge. These loads involve 200gr JHPs doing 1,100fps or a 255gr hardcast doing 1,000fps. Those are among the hottest loads you can shoot in a Judge.

I believe these are the BuffaloBore Rounds mentioned above.
http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php...ct_detail&p=46
Old October 24, 2010, 11:52 AM   #3
TXGunNut

Thanks for the link, was watching for the thread in the loading forum. I'm thinking the old Colt loads of generally blackpowder velocity would be a good choice. A 255 gr cast bullet over a moderate charge of Universal would be a good starting place IMHO. I've seen .410 revolver loads from Federal IIRC recently and commercial "cowboy" loads are available as well.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old October 24, 2010, 12:57 PM   #4
machrism

To the person who made this thread. Thanks. You were reading my mind. I too just bought the Judge Magnum and there seems to be alot of controversy on what's "The Max" for this gun! I was actually going to just shoot .410 out of it because of this but not anymore.
Old October 24, 2010, 01:44 PM   #5
kraigwy

My wife has a Judge. She's small and can't handle recoil. The 410s don't bother her but I have to load light 45 LCs for her.

I load 5.4 grns of 231 behind a 250 grn cast SWC. Its mild but still hits hard. Accurate too, in her Judge and my Ruger NV.

We don't hunt with 45s, but I don't believe a 45 cal. 250 grn slug needs a lot of velocity to be a good defensive round.

I'd rather have accuracy in a round she can handle.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old October 24, 2010, 02:03 PM   #6
Jim March

I can never own a Judge. I'm too twisted in the head. Handloading concepts for me in that gun run to chunks of brass nails, marbles, busted-up car glass packed in the noxious liquid of your choice, etc.

Old October 24, 2010, 02:51 PM   #7
mavracer

I wouldn't reccomend anything hotter than standard pressure 45 Colt ammo in the judge.IMHO the best SD round and not bad all around is the Speer 250gr golddot.the 250-255 SWC is a great all purpose load and will do for SD in a pinch. I use Unique powder for my 45 Colt loads 9.5gr with a 250 cast will get you ~1000 fps.8.0gr is a real good shooting load about 850fps and can be used with jacketed as well.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old October 24, 2010, 04:47 PM   #8
mordis

I love the concept and the looks of the judge, my only issue is I have now idea how effective the ammunition is. Will it reach 12" penetration or will the loads behave more like those shot out of a snubby?

My only othe observation for this thread is that, the 255gr heavy standard pressure load from buffalo bore is not hard cast lead. It is soft cast. Says so in the product description. I have no idea if that will effect its penetrating quantities or not but imsure it will make a dandy back woods load for any normal 45colt sixgun.
Old October 24, 2010, 05:11 PM   #9
zxcvbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMarch
I can never own a Judge. I'm too twisted in the head. Handloading concepts for me in that gun run to chunks of brass nails, marbles, busted-up car glass packed in the noxious liquid of your choice, etc.
I would probably be loading .444 Marlin brass for it using a buttload (that's a lot) of black powder. Flare the end of the cartridge to take a .452 lead bullet or roundball instead of .429

Tags
.45lc , .45lc handload , best .45lc round , taurus judge