The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 18, 2007, 08:09 PM   #1
Miflo

Short barrel question

I'm thinking my next purchase is going to be a Robinson Arms XCR in 6.8. I was pretending to build one on their website and they had the option of a 11.5" barrell (with NFA registration). What is the process for registering a short barrel with the NFA? Same process as buying a full auto? $200 tax stamp and 6 months of waiting?
Old August 19, 2007, 10:25 AM   #2
VUPDblue

Quote:
I'm thinking my next purchase is going to be a Robinson Arms XCR in 6.8. I was pretending to build one on their website and they had the option of a 11.5" barrell (with NFA registration). What is the process for registering a short barrel with the NFA? Same process as buying a full auto? $200 tax stamp and 6 months of waiting?
The process could be the same as buying a F/A. If you buy the rifle from Robinson or from a NFA dealer, then it would transfer to you on a Form 4 just like a machinegun or suppressor. If you buy it with a >16" barrel and have it shortened, then you would have to file a Form 1 which is the form to "make and register a firearm". You would be "making" a NFA item out of a non-NFA item. The $200 tax stamp applies to both, so one is not cheaper than the other. FWIW, the turnaround time on NFA paperwork can now be measured in weeks instead of months *usually*.
Old August 19, 2007, 10:47 AM   #3
DonR101395

What he^ said. My last form 1 was 33 days from mailbox to mailbox.
Old August 19, 2007, 12:14 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Barrels alone are not registered, but if you buy the whole gun (assembled or not) with a short barrel, the transfer must be on a Form 4. You can buy just the barrel with no problem, but if you "build" the rifle (assemble from parts) you will have to have approval on a Form 1 BEFORE assembling it with a short (less than 16") barrel.

And remember that YOU must do the work. If you have someone else assemble a SBR, that person must be an NFA manufacturer.

Jim
Old August 19, 2007, 06:04 PM   #5
Miflo

Thans

Thank you for the info. I think I'll get a suppressor before I get a short barrel rifle.