The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 1, 2005, 07:49 PM   #1
Hollywood D

Is there something wrong with my Fobus holster?

I just got it in the mail today. It's a plastic paddle holster. The retention on it is insane. I can't even pull it out of the holster without using two hands. One to hold the holster and the other on the gun. I'll give myself a wedgie if I don't lol. Anyways, does anyone have the same holster or other Fobus holsters with the same kind of problem? I like knowing that there is no way this thing is going to fall out but it's a major pita to get it out.

https://secure.fobusholster.com/cata...aaeed38eb03364
Old November 1, 2005, 08:01 PM   #2
jrklaus

I have a Walther PPK/S paddle holster by Fobus, and I haven't had the problem you describe. It works much like another Kydex paddle holster I have from another manufacturer...a click when the pistol is seated in it, stays secure, but comes out when you pull it out. Looking at it here at the computer, I don't see any tension adjustment screws on my model; does yours have any?

You've probably already checked, and I apologize if you have--they did send you the correct holster for your pistol?

I don't feel competent to discuss any notions of a lubricant that might work to relieve the problem without harming pistol or holster, but perhaps someone else may.

Good luck!
Old November 1, 2005, 08:11 PM   #3
Hollywood D

Yes, it's the correct holster. The bag and holster has the correct part number on it. No, I didn't see any retention screws on it either.
Old November 1, 2005, 08:17 PM   #4
Hollywood D

well I just discovered something interesting. On the fobus website it gives the part number for my holster as SP11, but my holster only says SP1. I can't find an SP1 anywhere on their site. Guess that's what I get for buying from ebay.

This is the one I bought

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Fobus-PADDLE...QQcmdZViewItem

and after looking inside the holster I can see plastic shavings that are most likely coming off of the holster because I don't see any wear like that on the gun itself. ?????
Old November 1, 2005, 08:21 PM   #5
jrklaus

Do you suppose SP1 is a discontinued holster for a no-longer-manufactured firearm? If you posted a new thread with a title along the lines of "What firearm fits a Fobus SP1 holster?" you might get a response and maybe be able to sell or trade it.

Hope all works out!
Old November 1, 2005, 09:21 PM   #6
Hollywood D

Ah, I figured it out. Talked to the buy on ebay that I bought it from, who is actually from Israel. The SP1 is only available in israel and the SP11 is only available in the US. There's a slight difference between the two for whatever reason. He was nice enough to let me return it.
Old November 1, 2005, 09:34 PM   #7
jrklaus

Glad it worked out. Enjoy that XD!!
Old November 2, 2005, 05:57 PM   #8
Cazach

If you still have a problem you can:

1. Squirt the inside of the holster with a lube (compatible with your gun's finish)
2. Lightly sand/file the inside of the holster (mainly looking for burrs or raised ridges from the molding process)
3. A combo of # 1 & 2
4. Gently apply heat to the holster using a heat gun or blow dryer and carefully pry the holster with the gun.
Old November 2, 2005, 06:45 PM   #9
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

I own several Fobus holsters; love 'em. They are tight and you have to draw the weapon from them straight out, or it won't budge. One thing my dealer told me is that the first couple of time you use it, to spray the inside of the holster with WD-40. I found it made a significant difference.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old November 7, 2005, 09:29 PM   #10
phrkshw

capt charlie loves em, i hate em. buy an uncle mikes and you wont regret it. uncle mikes are still very innexpensive in the world of holsters but they are SOOOO much nicer than fobus! i threw my fobus in the trash and WILL NEVER regret it!

for what its worth, my fobus was for an XD9 - the XD now resides in an uncle mikes.

Good luck, my .02