The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 13, 2005, 05:16 PM   #1
bp78

What do I need to know about safes?

I'm young, a new home owner and need a safe that won't break the bank.

First, I have a somewhat small area in the master bedroom closet (walk-in) that I'd like a safe that offers some fire protection and basic security protection. I live in a safe, professional neighborhood with a low crime rate. My biggest worry is some little mom&dad@work-too-much-kid will break-in and find one of my guns. I'm not too worried about safe-crakers or wise criminals. If they find me, I'm insured. ( I know that may seem course, but I don't have funds nor room for some monster underground titanium wonder safe & I'll probably move again in 4-6yrs)

I need to store perhaps 6-8 pistols, 5 long guns and maybe some on-hand cash, & a computer cd for records.

Sams Club has a Winchester safe for for $700 but it's a bit big for my taste. My range has a selection of safe but no pricing on them. I plan to stop by and chat with them this week, but, what are the right questions to ask?
Old March 13, 2005, 07:43 PM   #2
Ledbetter

Do not store money or documents with your guns. The paper can hold moisture.

Find the best deal you can on one of these

http://www.deansafe.com/sentry/6211,4211.html

Ledbetter
from thefiringline
TFL #4573
NRA for Life
Winchester Canyon Gun Club for Life
Old March 13, 2005, 10:21 PM   #3
bp78

Thanks for the link, that's exactly what I was looking for although I may step-up to the slightly larger Model #G-3211. The price is certainly right.

I noticed the doors all open to the right, can you order a open-to-the-left version?
Old March 13, 2005, 10:26 PM   #4
bp78

Why is pricing so hard to come by?

Seems nobody will post prices for any safe make (other than the noted Sentry model). What other makes/models are available in the $300-$700 range?
Old March 13, 2005, 10:39 PM   #5
BillCA

BP,

Check out Liberty Safes.

I think you would probably be good with a "Centurion" model. These are fair sized safes that will hold about 8 long guns and quite a few handguns on the upper shelves. Their 24"w x 60.5"h x 20d sized unit fits lots of closets. Factory direct price is down to $599.

If you put it behind the walk-in closet door, be sure to factor in room for the lock and 3-spoke bolt handle!
Old March 14, 2005, 06:57 AM   #6
Foxy

There's a company called Zanotti Armor that makes safes that can be disassembled into five components and more easily moved. Instead of trying to move a 700 lb safe, you can move five 100-150 lb pieces. They don't provide pricing online, but I think the most expensive ones top out at about $2500 - the smaller ones should be less.
Old March 14, 2005, 06:21 PM   #7
Dwight55

BP, . . . ledbeter gave you a picture of my safe, . . . just in a different color.

I've had it for a couple of years, . . . and I love it. The laptop I am using right now will go on that top shelf tonight (or tomorrow am) alongside my 1911.

Wife's P85 is in the bottom of the web on the door, loaded and ready, . . . my 12 ga thunderstick sits just inside, . . . first on the left.

I paid a few more $$ than this price, . . . but then again I didn't have to pay shipping as I bought it local.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old March 16, 2005, 06:17 PM   #8
bp78

Local dealer suggested a heavier Canon model

Of course that's what they had in stock, but I believe he suggest a close out A22 Canon safe that weights in the neighborhood of 550#'s. It's a bit bigger and more expensive thought at $640/ask (insinuated there was room to neg)

The Canon warranty looked nice, it's within my budget but the extra weight may be over kill. Any suggestions on the Canon?
Old March 18, 2005, 10:04 PM   #9
greg531mi

Get the biggest safe you can afford or fit in your house.... A 14 gun safe will only fit 10 guns, a 18, 14 guns, they lie about that....Compare fire protection, and hard plate and thciknesses of door and body.....A Residental Security Container should be bolted down, and have ammo, weights, etc, inside to keep it from being moved....Hide your torches, and plasma cutters and 2 wheelers......
I seen 28 gun LIberty Gun safes go for as cheap as $399, on the Thanksgiving holiday special......Galyans sold their safe's for 1/2 off, when it turned into a Dick's!!!!
I bought a safe at a auction, where a company went out of business, for $250....1200 lbs, two doors, and removal shelves....
Also check out regular safe companies, they might have something you can use.....
Old March 20, 2005, 07:38 PM   #10
hknut

Not all states do this (but probally should), my state (WA) offers a special deal of no sales tax on gun safes. So ask if you state offers this. I have HOMAK safes. They can be transported in a normal pick up or mini van. They secure to the wall and floor and stack together for even more security. The best feature (besides the price) is a single person can carry them (unloaded of course). I have two safes, the big one stores 8 long guns and the pistol safe stores 9 duty size autos. You can also checkout STACK-ON as they are about the same. I spent $150.00 for both. Good luck
Old March 21, 2005, 08:55 PM   #11
BillCA

Hknut,

If you're using a HOMAK gun cabinet, you are deluding yourself about your security. I know because I deluded myself too.

I had their 2-door model 36028. Someone broke in and used a combination of a screwdriver and an M4 bayonet to defeat the chintzy locking hardware HOMAK uses. The fasteners attaching the locking plates to the key hardware broke allowing them to steal 12 handguns, including my favorite S&W Model 58 and a Series 70 Colt 1911 and my first gun.

HOMAK does not have any kind of guarantee against theft or access. If you're spending $100 to $150 on this kind of security it beats leaving them in the open, but it won't stop a thief who has 20 minutes and a sturdy screwdriver!

But spending between $400 and $700 for a Liberty (or similar) safe gives you a quantum leap in protection. And if the theives damage it, many safe companies will replace or repair it -- free. Most safe companies will send out a qualified locksmith to fix the lock if it's damaged and you can't open your safe. Try that with someone like HOMAK -- who barely acknowledged that I was a customer, much less had sympathy. They wanted to charge me for the replacement door & locking hardware!

In a situation where someone is almost always home (like mine until 3 months before being burglarized) these units might be okay. But for most of us, getting something more substantial will save you the heartache of finding your guns missing.
Old March 25, 2005, 07:12 AM   #12
utaherrn

the extra $ on extra protection is never wasted.

I went the cheap protection route for years. Finally broke down and bought a 36" wide Liberty safe last year. I have never regretted it. All it took was passing on a couple of new guns to protect the ones I have.
Now it's full, and I want another.
Old May 10, 2005, 07:08 PM   #13
bp78

Just a follow-up. The Sentry safe posted above was a great idea at $369 but shipping from CA to NC would have been another $312 putting me $700 into a $370 safe.

I bought a 30min fire rated Liberty 17cuft safe at a show last weekend. Cost $599 + tax but I liked the granite finish & stainless hardware.
Old May 11, 2005, 01:15 PM   #14
claude783

I would make one suggestion when you get your safe, spend a little extra and get the electronic lock.

This way you can program your "own" code. You can change the code anytime.

I purchased a Sportmans safe here in Paramount, Ca; they are about 2 miles from me. I think I paid about $1200. 00 for it...worth every penny...

I also have the homak safe, which I use to store "ammo". As for it being good from stopping burglars, it won't!
Old May 11, 2005, 05:08 PM   #15
shoot870p

Please do NOT confuse "safe" with "cabinet". many people do and many are so sad later. get a safe and get one larger than you expect to need (pending funds allowing).
Lee
Old May 15, 2005, 05:12 PM   #16
cheygriz

What do you need to know about gun safes?

Fort Knox. That's about all you really need to know!