The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 27, 2016, 03:39 PM   #1
458winshooter

Scope mount for SBH

I have a 7 1/2" SBH 44 mag in stainless and I'm thinking about a scope or redot sight for it.What do you guys recommend as far as mounts?
Old August 28, 2016, 09:44 AM   #2
saudst

Scope mount.

Midwayusa has 3 of them. The Weaver clamp on is the one I have and it works very well for me even up to my full power 300grn. XTP deer load which is what I got it for to begin with. No problems on my SBH. Tim.
Old August 28, 2016, 09:47 AM   #3
saudst

Again

I also like that after hunting season, in 10 minutes the scope is off and sights are back because this is the gun I pack when I go on a walkabout. Tim.
Old August 28, 2016, 03:30 PM   #4
SSA

Weigand makes a nice base for the sbh.
Old August 30, 2016, 08:19 AM   #5
damienph

SBH TSOB scope mount

Years ago when I first scoped my 7 1/2" SBH I put a B-Square mount that used the rear sight dovetail and a barrel clamp. I had a moderately heavy Bushnell Trophy scope mounted. I don't know if it was the 300 and 320gr handloads or the weight of the scope but I could not keep the base tight and over time it damaged the bluing on the barrel under the clamp.

After that, I knew that I wanted to keep it scoped so I sent it in to SSK Industries and had their three ring base mounted, the TSOB. I also switched to a lighter scope; a Leupold M8 2X.

The mount has been on there at least 15 years now and has held up to hundreds of stout handloads. The only downside is it is a permanent mount that is drilled and tapped. I will say that the TSOB certainly is.

Last edited by damienph; August 30, 2016 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Autocorrect Spelling
Old August 30, 2016, 08:27 AM   #6
NoSecondBest

I've tried the B-Square and the Weaver. I ended up with the Wiegand and had better results with it.
Old August 30, 2016, 08:33 AM   #7
damienph

I have a Weaver (similar in design to the B-Square) mounted on a .30 Carbine Blackhawk that has held up well, however the .30 Carbine has negligible recoil compared to the .44 Magnum.

Does the Wiegand require tapping the top strap?
Old September 1, 2016, 03:10 AM   #8
caz223

Back in '95 I bought a used Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8" .41 magnum.
I got it for 3 bills out the door with a case, uncle mike's grips (and the factory rosewood) a tasco PDP2 red dot and B-square mount, already installed. The guy behind the counter confided in me that the previous owner bought the gun from that store new, and couldn't hit with the gun at all, hence the discounted price. It was almost a new gun at the time.
After 3 months on layaway, I took her home. I had never shot a handgun before.
I was frustrated when I found I couldn't hit anything farther than about 30'.
I grabbed the red dot in frustration, and checked it for proper mounting. The dot really moved around. A lot.

I took it apart, cleaned everything, and put it together TIGHT with blue loctite.
When I put it together I had to re-zero everything.
But that day, it became a tack driver. That was my only gun for 5 years, and I shot at least a box of full power (and then some) .41 mag H110 loads every week. I still have that gun, and it's as accurate as it ever was. The only thing I ever had to do to that gun was to replace the base pin retaining button and spring because it flew apart from recoil. After I loctited that together, the base pin stopped popping out under recoil. I think that button just worked itself sloppy.
That gun has held a zero for over 20 years. Granted, I don't shoot it as much as I used to, but it's seen some hard use for an extended time.

The clamp will mar the finish on the barrel just forward of the cylinder, if you got a blue gun, I'd consider that mount a permanent addition. With a stainless gun, you could prolly clean it up with a scuff pad and some polish to match the original finish. If you leave it on, nobody will ever see it.

If you put those old b-square mounts together right, and loctite them down good, you will not have any problems. I would imagine that extends to the weaver clones, as well.
I have a Wiegand mount for my SBH bisley hunter (It uses the factory ruger scope base mounting cuts). It's been sitting in a drawer for 2 years untested (Mounted on the gun with a new matchdot ultradot), but I can't imagine it not working. That thing looks hell for stout. Maybe I'll drag it to the range today and give it a proper shakedown. I would say it's time for that.

TLDR: I think they will all work just fine.

Last edited by caz223; September 1, 2016 at 03:42 AM.
Old September 1, 2016, 07:31 PM   #9
caz223

Don't mean to sidetrack the thread, but I just got back from the range, and tested that WEIG-A-TINNY mount for my SBH hunter and my matchdot, and it holds a perfect zero, and shoots 1 hole groups at 25 yards off from a sandbag. It looks awesome, too. The stock 30mm ruger mounts just were not far enough apart to fit a matchdot in between them, a couple more mm, and the stock rings would have worked. The WEIG-A-TINNY mount is better, anyway, it gives a lot more mounting options.
.41 magnum forever!
Maybe I'll try it at the 50 yard range tomorrow.

Another thing to think about is the distance between the rings.
https://www.amazon.com/Weaver-Scope-.../dp/B000KOQ3VG
Looking at the weaver mount, you can clearly see there's only 2 possible mounting locations, now assuming the hold down bolts are fairly centered there isn't a lot of adjustment as far as what red dots it works with.
I got the weigh-a-tinny mount for my SBH hunter because of the versatility.
https://www.jackweigand.com/Redhawk_...ey_Hunter.html
Look at the mounting options available. 2, 3, or 4 rings mounted where you want them. It's pretty slick, if you have a hunter model. I use 2 rings because the matchdot takes a lot of space between rings, but the rings I used were 6 screw rings, and are really solidly built.

If you got a 7 1/2" model (That's the length of the 'hunter' model.)
Is it a hunter model? If it is, it will be stamped 'hunter' on the top strap.
If so, I'd so get the weigh-a-tinny mount, just because of the versatility.

What red dot are you thinking about?

Last edited by caz223; September 1, 2016 at 08:30 PM.
Old September 8, 2016, 02:39 AM   #10
caz223

The first group I shot at 50 yards was a 6 shot group off a rest. Target was a 9" paper plate with a 3x3 post-it note at the center.
4 shots were in a nice tight 2 inch group 2 inches above the post-it, the other 2 didn't hit paper, so they were my fault.
Later groups opened up to 4 or 5 inches, but got all the shots on the paper while adjusting the red dot a few clicks down for elevation. It sighted in good. Only shot a few groups with this gun because I was trying to get as many guns sighted in as possible before the range closed.
My Henry big boy rifle required a little lovin' with a brass punch to move the front sight over. That took some time, but sighted in good, as well.

No regrets on the gun, sight, or the mount.

Last edited by caz223; September 8, 2016 at 02:58 AM.