The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 25, 2010, 05:34 PM   #1
Haycreek

para thumb safety assymbly

I detail stripped my P 13 para for the first time, and two flat pieces fell out when the thumb safety or sear was removed. I have used and detail stripped 1911's since 1952 , but never a double stack para until today. can anyone please tell me how to reinstall the two flat pieces ? your help will be appriciated.
Old June 25, 2010, 06:07 PM   #2
hockeysew

Two "flat pieces" is not overly descriptive but I am going to guess it is the Series 80 firing pin block actuating assembley.
If in fact this is what they are they install on the right side of the frame. The piece with the two holes in it and the long narrow nose is what lifts the firing pin plunger.(FP lock lever) The long nose points to the front of the pistol and when fitted correctly it sits flush with the top of the frame. It only rises above the frame when the trigger is depressed. It is fixed in place by the hammer pin.
The other piece is the dogleg one with one hole(Trigger bar lever). It is fitted with the long leg pointing down and resting against the rear of the trigger bow. It is retained by the hammer pin.
The way it works is thus- When the trigger is depressed the trigger bar lever is moved rearward by the trigger bow. As it moves rearward the short leg of it interacts with the Firing pin lock lever and lifts the nose of it upward, depressing the firing pin plunger in the slide, allowing the firing pin to travel forward and strike the primer.
Old June 25, 2010, 08:15 PM   #3
Haycreek

Para

Yes, they are the two items. Thank you for the info. ---back to the work bench.
Old June 26, 2010, 07:42 AM   #4
GunCat

Do the parts look like this?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_XCkTSf0swc...es80Safety.jpg

The lower part fits on the sear pin, the middle part fits on the hammer pin (both into the right side of the frame)
Hardships are quickly forgotten. Intense heat, bitter cold, rain and snow, fatigue, and luckless hunting fade quickly into memories of great fellowship, thoughts of beautiful country, pleasant camps, and happy campfires.
Fred Bear 1902-1988
Old June 26, 2010, 10:50 AM   #5
Haycreek

Yes, Guncat, thank you, for you info, I can do it now. ---this is my first Para, pistol, I've detail stripped colts and other for years [since 1952, ] but this para stumped me. Thanks again