The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 5, 2019, 10:53 PM   #26
Houndog

What Taylorecd1 said. Some really good advice.

I own a Tikka CTR in 6.5 CM. A really good rifle. I also own a couple of SWFA scopes and they are very good value for the money. You can also pick up some good deals from their sample list.

I put my Tikka into an after-market stock, which does improve the rifle. I have shot this rifle out to 800 yards a lot. I'm not saying that I can hit an 8" gong with 100% reliability (I can't), but 12-15" plates are definitely doable with Hornady ELD ammo if the conditions are decent.
Old December 5, 2019, 11:30 PM   #27
Jim Watson

British Fullbore has a maximum cartridge gauge to keep you from kind of "improving" your .308s. A friend on the US Creedmoor team said they were shooting over 1100 yards.
Old December 6, 2019, 08:37 AM   #28
Josh Smith

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dQpY9muGj8 <--- irons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUp6dTlHAg0 <--- heavy barrel and 'scope

Point is not to necessarily use a milsurp, but rather it's easier (and cheaper) to put the equipment together than generally believed.

The hard part is learning to shoot it.

I'd invest part of that budget into an accurized and scoped .22 that is a clone of whatever centerfire rifle you decide to use.

Regards,
Josh

Last edited by Josh Smith; December 6, 2019 at 08:45 AM.
Old December 13, 2019, 03:44 PM   #29
bill460

These are 2 of my long range rifles. A Kimber 8400 in .300 Win. Mag. And a Model 110-FCP/K also in .300 Win. Mag. At the bottom is my Savage Model 12-FT/R in .308. Not exactly a 1,000 yard gun, but very accurate.

I don't have a lot of money tied up in these rifle when compared to what competitive shooters spend on their rigs. But all 3 can shoot better than I can. All 3 have Bushnell Elite Tactical scopes.

Old December 13, 2019, 09:32 PM   #30
Jasonzee

Ruger American in 308 topped with a Swfa 10x50 would be my choise.
Old December 14, 2019, 06:39 PM   #31
kilotanker22

Under $1000?

My pick would be one I am familiar with. Savage 110 tactical in 6.5 CM. $570
Vortex Crossfire 2, 6-24x44 AO. $225

Use the $200 left for a good set of dies, some Lapua or Hornady cases, Some 143 Grain E-LDX or 140 grain ELD Match bullets and some H-4350.

The best shooting factory ammunition i ever got to shoot in that rifle was Federal Gold Medal with 130 grain Bergers. Even so If you have the means to handload ammunition. It is definitely a superior option
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old December 14, 2019, 06:55 PM   #32
kilotanker22

The reasons I choose the savage are:

The Accustock really is an excellent stock for a production rifle at its price point.
The Varmint Accutrigger will adjust down to 1.5 pounds out of the box and breaks super clean.
The barrel is of the heavier contour and is threaded for a suppressor or brake.
The adjustable length of pull and comb height go a long way to making the rifle easier to consistently mount.
The rifle rides bags very well.

Maybe I am a little Bias, but I don't feel like there is a better value to be had at the same price point...

Also, I have had that Crossfire scope for about a year now. It tracks very well, transmits plenty of light, holds zero and has zero reset turrets. (with tools) Again I feel like it would be difficult to find a better value.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old December 14, 2019, 07:53 PM   #33
TXAZ

I have 2 rifles, a Barrett .50 and a Trackingpoint 6.5 CM that are rock solid at 1,000 yards and then some. The Barrett is about a 1.2 MOA with the Hornady 750 round and the TP is easily a sub MOA gun with a couple different rounds.

Good optics are a major part of the equation, and realistically just the glass alone will bust your budget.

I wish you the best, but good luck getting a consistent 10” @ 1,000 yards, that’s good enough to have won a local match against guns costing $5-15,000.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old December 14, 2019, 09:13 PM   #34
Don Fischer

I don't and never have shot a lot of long range. Did target's to 500 yds just a bit when I got my 6.5x06. Hard for me to visualize a rifle shooting 1/2 MOA at 100 yds that won't do 1/2 MOA at 1000 yds. I've read about bullet's going to sleep in flight, I don't buy it. Bullet's not staying super sonic, L do buy that. But I think the biggest thing stopping a 1/2 MOA rifle at 100 yd being a 1/2 MO rifle at 1000 yds is the shooter and/or the shooter's ability to see the target. How big is the aiming point at 1000 yds? Probably completely blot out a 1" aiming point at 1000 yds. I shoot better with my 2 3/4x scope at 100 yds when I go to a larger aiming point! Then add to that wind and I think you shoot 100 and 1000 yds in a vacuum with no wind and then 1/2 MOA stays 1/2 MOA.

Any breeze out past say 500yds, a guess, is going to have more effect on the bullet than the same breeze at 100 yds, time of flight get's to it. That turn's the whole deal over to the ability of the shooter!
Old December 14, 2019, 09:55 PM   #35
Bart B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
Any breeze out past say 500yds, a guess, is going to have more effect on the bullet than the same breeze at 100 yds, time of flight get's to it. That turn's the whole deal over to the ability of the shooter!
I disagree. A given 9 o'clock cross wind only in the first third of target range causes 2 to 3 times the drift distance at the target than the same wind only in the last third. When the bullet is drifting to the right of the line of sight when the wind stops, it keeps drifting right at the same rate
https://www.longrangehunting.com/thr...-range.160296/

Last edited by Bart B.; December 14, 2019 at 10:28 PM.
Old December 14, 2019, 10:11 PM   #36
TXAZ

Spot on Bart.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old December 15, 2019, 09:26 AM   #37
Bart B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
Hard for me to visualize a rifle shooting 1/2 MOA at 100 yds that won't do 1/2 MOA at 1000 yds.
Visualize this.

All bullets don't have the same muzzle velocity. Slower ones drop more each hundred yards downrange. 308 Win bullets with a 50 fps velocity spread have about 1/10 MOA drop spread at 100 yards, about 2 MOA drop spread at 1000.

There's a small spread in a bullet's ballistic coefficient caused by imperfect balance. And small variables in atmospheric conditions change the bullets speed and direction.

Use decent ballistic software changing these variables to see why group sizes change with range.

If bullets leave at the right place on the muzzle axis upswing, groups at 1000 yards will be smaller in MOA than those at 600. Slowest ones leave at higher angles than fastest ones. This is called positive compensation.

Last edited by Bart B.; December 15, 2019 at 10:42 AM.
Old December 15, 2019, 10:30 AM   #38
Bart B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAZ View Post
Good optics are a major part of the equation, and realistically just the glass alone will bust your budget.
I don't think expensive scopes are better than quality low cost ones to shoot bullets precisely at long range. Has anyone conducted valid tests comparing low cost Weaver T models priced a few hundred dollars to others costing a few thousand?

Boxing scope adjustments to resolve quarter MOA errors are valid only when you can shoot your stuff no worse than one tenth MOA 10 shot groups. The "ruler" needs smaller graduations than your error limit.

And variables have twice the lens position tolerances as fixed power scopes. At 1000 yards, how often do you set a variable to less than maximum magnification?

The most accurate benchrest rifles shot free recoil can set aggregate records putting 60 shots (six consecutive 10-shot groups) inside 7 to 8 inches at a thousand in stable environmental conditions. A scope whose optics resolve only 4 arc seconds (1/15th MOA) is good enough.

Last edited by Bart B.; December 15, 2019 at 10:55 PM.
Old December 16, 2019, 10:46 AM   #39
jetinteriorguy

As bullets get farther and farther down range do they vary from POI at a linear rate or more of a progressive rate thus amplifying small almost immeasurable differences at 100yds to much bigger differences that are less consistent at 1000 yds?