The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 19, 2019, 05:31 PM   #26
ThomasT

With the front sight off to the right like that you should be shooting to the left. Tap the round part to the left and it will move your POI to the right. That should take care of that.
Old August 19, 2019, 06:41 PM   #27
Reloadron

Yeah, that front sight looks to be pretty well drifted. Drift it back to the left and I would try center before going any further.

Ron
Old August 25, 2019, 10:53 AM   #28
GaryED50

Just bought the Spike bayonet online. It arrives tomorrow, now all I need is the sling!

Gary

Last edited by GaryED50; August 27, 2019 at 10:35 AM.
Old August 28, 2019, 05:04 PM   #29
GaryED50

Just added the bayonet

Now its complete

Gary

Last edited by GaryED50; August 29, 2019 at 08:47 AM.
Old November 22, 2019, 08:37 PM   #30
GaryED50

The kick is very mild. The 7.62X39 is pleasant to shoot

Gary
Old November 23, 2019, 05:58 PM   #31
Josh Smith

If I recall, adding a bayonet to a Norinco is technically illegal due to some federal law or other. I was warned about this when I had my pre-Norinco Chinese SKS. Mine was imported with the bayonet and was legal. However, more recent imports weren't.

I don't remember the particulars. You might look into it.

Nice carbines. I miss mine.

Regards,

Josh
Old November 23, 2019, 06:15 PM   #32
Ignition Override

Really fun guns, nice value.
You guys all noticed that the ….sight distance (from leaf to post).... is noticeably better than on any actual AK clone-unless the AK has a fairly pricey Tech Sight (aperture) installed?

Protect the "Norincos' " typically soft wood (the Type 56 wood is harder) and they remain attractive and an excellent value.

My pricey Czech VZ-58 arrived days ago, but I still enjoyed shooting a friend's Norinco SKS.

I'm not kidding at all.

Last edited by Ignition Override; November 23, 2019 at 06:21 PM.
Old November 24, 2019, 11:54 AM   #33
JJ45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignition Override View Post
Really fun guns, nice value.
You guys all noticed that the ….sight distance (from leaf to post).... is noticeably better than on any actual AK clone-unless the AK has a fairly pricey Tech Sight (aperture) installed?

Protect the "Norincos' " typically soft wood (the Type 56 wood is harder) and they remain attractive and an excellent value.

My pricey Czech VZ-58 arrived days ago, but I still enjoyed shooting a friend's Norinco SKS.

I'm not kidding at all.
ChiCom military SKS wood is catalpa, a fairly soft wood but somewhat rot resistant. But not enough to resist wood eating beetles and termites as was found out in Viet Nam. This is the reason for the "Red Jungle Stock", a fiberglass replacement, although I have one that is more brown than red. I foolishly alumahyded the reddish one and sold it.

Original Russian SKS wood is Arctic Birch or "Russian Birch"
Old November 28, 2019, 03:37 PM   #34
jhenry

I bought one new in cosmoline back when for 80 bucks. I ended up getting rid of which wee a mistake. When offered a paratroops version unfixed andvwith 50 stripper clips and a 30 round mg (useless) for 120 dollars in 2010 or so I grabbed it.

I refinished the stock with a oil finish and color to match walnut. I added a rubber butt plate that increased pull by and inch and a half, added a flash supprressor, did a trigger job, and glass bedded it. It will hold about 2.5 inches at 100 yards. It's in my trunk with a BOB.
Old November 29, 2019, 01:36 AM   #35
Ignition Override

JJ45: That Russian arctic birch always seemed to be one of the most attractive types of wood ever put on any gun.

Did you guys ever read much on SKSboards? Time spent in the Russian, Romanian, Albanian etc forums can be beneficial.
* The original Russian SKS series had firing pin Springs....to prevent a slam-fire.

These (firing pin) springs are avail. from Murray's Gunsmithing, Bowie TX.

They perform an interesting variety of work on SKS rifles, and cured the bad 'popped primer' issues in both of my Yugo M59s. The M59 is Not a 59/66....

Last edited by Ignition Override; November 29, 2019 at 01:44 AM.
Old November 29, 2019, 02:49 AM   #36
TruthTellers

For all the complaints about how SKS prices aren't $100 anymore for Russian/European made ones, the quality of what you get in a $400 to $500 Chinese SKS vs what you get in a current production AK47 for the same price is a night and day difference.

Even for $500 the Chinese SKS' are a better value than whatever bottom of the barrel Mosin rifles are out there.

If I didn't already have a nice WASR AK I would probably get one. I like how cheap the stripper clips and ammo are, I like looks of the SKS more, and the folding bayonet is just cool.
Old November 29, 2019, 05:08 PM   #37
JJ45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignition Override View Post
JJ45: That Russian arctic birch always seemed to be one of the most attractive types of wood ever put on any gun.

Did you guys ever read much on SKSboards? Time spent in the Russian, Romanian, Albanian etc forums can be beneficial.
* The original Russian SKS series had firing pin Springs....to prevent a slam-fire.

These (firing pin) springs are avail. from Murray's Gunsmithing, Bowie TX.

They perform an interesting variety of work on SKS rifles, and cured the bad 'popped primer' issues in both of my Yugo M59s. The M59 is Not a 59/66....
Ignition; I was a regular some years ago until it crashed and we all had to re-up our PWs, etc. In the confusion I never went back.

You might also remember SKS MAN.... he had the military fiberglass stocks for around 9 bucks at one time. All kinds of SKS and East Bloc stuff real cheap. All this info on the SKS that we are hashing out now has been gone over time and again on those boards.

My first SKS was a 1950 Tula, it had the early spring loaded firing pin. The bore on this weapon was not chrome lined as are the later dates. I could never get the bore clean no matter what. The last patch always came out soiled.

Last edited by JJ45; November 29, 2019 at 05:15 PM.
Old November 29, 2019, 08:30 PM   #38
2wheelwander

I remember when those were well under $100 and thought they were ugly then and weren't enough to pull a bill out of my pocket.

Felt the same way with the Mosan Nagant rifles and when a case of ammo was $79. Shot my BIL Mosan and was really impressed with it as a surplus gun. I believe it was tell core ammo, incredible penetration on chopped firewood.

Big bang for the buck and decent rifles, but I still don't want one.
Old December 1, 2019, 06:10 PM   #39
Average Joe

I picked mine out of a crate, they were covered in cosmo , paid $79 bucks for it , back in the early 90's, also got a tin of ammo for another $79 bucks, wish I bought the whole crate.