The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Closed Thread

Old December 8, 2019, 01:27 PM   #251
Nanuk

Quote:
What sort of training are we talking about.
1980's LEO training. Look at the FBI speed loader method. I have been doing it for 40 years and also shooting competitively so i probably have millions of repetitions. Many people fall into the trap of "I can't do it so it can't be done".
Quote:
You cannot blame us ordinary humans for being skeptical. It's hard to sell the idea that this fast loading of a revolver is regularly possible.
Ignorance breeds contempt. Open your horizons.

Quote:
That is, for the average person, The fact is undeniable that the usual pick of auto has to with more rounds and, by reports, easier to shoot.
By average do you mean untrained? If so A revolver is a better choice.

Quote:
Are there any US police forces of any size that still use revolvers?
Beats me.

Quote:
Also, I can get tons of statistics that the world is flat.
OK.......

Quote:
Can you tell me how to load a revolver with "one in the pipe?"
Open cylinder, drop round in charge hole, properly index and close cylinder.

Quote:
When I reload my revolvers fast where does the brass go?
I don't know, never seen you reload.

Quote:
Does the brass jump back into the speed loader?
Now you are being obtuse.

Quote:
When I took my carry class the instructor made the point that dead people have been found with a handful of fired brass.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newhall_incident

Yup it was 50 years ago and a watershed moment in police training.

Quote:
He did not quote statistics so that must have been untrue to leave the brass on the ground.
???

Quote:
G23: My G27 was stolen. Got a dynamite deal on the G23. Really like the compact more than the sub compact. My speed loader is a G22 magazine.
How fast can you load, from concealment from your last shot to your next shot? I can reload my K frame Smith in about 1.5 seconds, not Jerry Michulac, but not bad.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old December 8, 2019, 02:35 PM   #252
J.G. Terry

Nanuk: Not dealing with snarky fairy tales on Sunday. Take care and be safe.
Old December 8, 2019, 02:45 PM   #253
JimCunn

Without practicing, 3 seconds to eject and reload my 9mm 637-2 J-frame.
Old December 8, 2019, 02:54 PM   #254
J.G. Terry

Hal: That's easy. It's twelve rounds.
Old December 8, 2019, 03:35 PM   #255
fastbolt

Something to perhaps keep in the back of our minds ...

An old saying - which I recently heard used by a young sergeant who served some tours in Afg - is that handguns are meant to get you out of trouble. Rifles (or shotguns) are used if you're planning to go get into trouble.

There are inherent limitations of DA revolvers (meaning with swing out cylinders, not SA's with loading gates) regarding both capacity and speed-of-loading, granted.

However, that doesn't necessarily mean that revolvers can't still be successfully employed as personal defensive weapons.

Someone's ability to employ their acquired skills may be supplemented by choice of gear and familiarity with properly using the gear selected, but the selection of gear isn't going to be able to improve or enhance someone's underlying skillset. Using something as a crutch is still using a crutch, even if you don't call it (or admit it's) a crutch.
Old December 8, 2019, 03:39 PM   #256
J.G. Terry

Screwball: That's a nice handgun. It is obvious that you put thought into that project going exactly where you wanted to go.

I have no intention of suggesting that all revolvers had those failings. Many guns of all sorts have been ruined by holsters combined with other bad care are you described. All the failings that were shared came from personal observations. No over generalization intended.

I got a custom barrel for my old G29. On shooting it for the first time the slide jammed back. The gun refused to fire. The maker asked for the slide and barrel be returned. Finally, called him back. He offered a refund saying my slide was out of specs.

That was the last after market drop-in barrel I bought. What ever it is, shoot it first out of the gate. My custom Revolver is a Clark Custom Light Revolver built up on a K38 frame. With 6" barrel it misses that mark as a carry gun. Those HK's can be addictive.

Last edited by J.G. Terry; December 8, 2019 at 03:48 PM.
Old December 8, 2019, 04:14 PM   #257
Nanuk

Quote:
Nanuk: Not dealing with snarky fairy tales on Sunday. Take care and be safe.
Snarky fairy tails?
Old December 8, 2019, 05:19 PM   #258
tallball

"Reliability is one. Now we can argue until the cows come home about how reliable modern autos have become and I will concede that, with good ammo, good magazines, proper maintenance (cleaned and lubed regularly with springs periodically replaced), and proper shooting technique they are very reliable. That being said, we don't live in a vacuum and I personally prefer my gun not be so dependent on so many variables. If there's another big panic buying event, I needn't worry quite so much about whether or not my revolver will "like" the only off-brand ammo that's available. If I have to shoot from a less than ideal position or grip, I needn't worry about slides being pushed out of battery or limp-wristing. I don't need to worry about how long it's been since I changed my magazine springs or if my feed lips might get damaged without me noticing it."

Well said.

"How would you defend yourself when a gangbanger is using a G17 opened fire?"

As a civilian, it would not be unusual for someone to attempt to mug or carjack me. However, I don't really understand the scenario where someone suddenly starts shooting at me from some distance away. That seems to be an unlikely way for them to try to get my wallet.

If I wanted someone's car or wallet, I would just keep my eyes open for a distracted person (looking at phone, loading groceries, etc), wander over near them, hit them with a brick, and take what I wanted. In and out in seconds, no noise, probably no one notices. Where I live, if you start emptying a Glock at someone, the cops will certainly be there in under two minutes, probably faster.
Old December 8, 2019, 05:32 PM   #259
J.G. Terry

Drive by's.
Old December 8, 2019, 05:52 PM   #260
Nanuk

Quote:
Drive by's.
Drive by? I was responding to you.
Old December 8, 2019, 06:12 PM   #261
gnystrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
I'm new to owning a revolver, and I'm not asking this question to start any fights. But I noticed that amongst semi auto carriers, you get a range of heated opinions over whether 7 rounds, 15 rounds, or 30 rounds are ever "enough"

Given that a CCW revolver carries maybe 7 at most, depending on caliber, with 5 being typical -- and reloads are much more challenging even with practice -- do revolver carriers just have a different philosophy of what counts as "enough?"
Maybe we are just better shots/
Old December 8, 2019, 06:40 PM   #262
Nanuk

Quote:
Given that a CCW revolver carries maybe 7 at most, depending on caliber, with 5 being typical -- and reloads are much more challenging even with practice -- do revolver carriers just have a different philosophy of what counts as "enough?"
I started carrying revolvers in 1982 as a young cop after serving in the Army and using a 1911. The revolvers I carried were 357 magnum and 44 magnum. I learned to shoot, reload and carry multiple guns because I was determined no to die young. I also competed on the dept pistol team. Reloads are not a challenge with proper gear and training.

In all those years of carrying a revolver as primary I never felt outgunned until working the canyons west of El Paso, Tx near Mount Crysto Rey at night chasing bandits.
Old December 8, 2019, 07:19 PM   #263
Aguila Blanca
Staff

This discussion has devolved from a discussion of why revolver owners don't worry about capacity, through several detours until we are now trading insults.

Case closed.
Jeepaholic
Closed Thread