The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 28, 2019, 09:08 AM   #1
Nathan

Montana Rifle Company Rifle Experience

I’m looking at a slightly customized Montana Rifle Company 458 lott. I’m wondering your experiences with their rifles, your order, warranty, other....

How did it shoot and perform for you?

I’m not really interested in the info on pre-2019 issues with the former owners. I here those were tough situations.
Old June 28, 2019, 02:51 PM   #2
Quick1

I have two of their rifles (Extreme weather .270 & .300), they are pre-2019, but I have never had any issues with either one of them. Build quality if great, accuracy is great, and I have never had anything but good experiences with their customer service. Was sighting in both at 200 yards last weekend and both were sub 1MOA. I have read they had some issues in the past, but I have nothing bad to say about the guns or the company.
Old July 20, 2019, 06:55 AM   #3
fourbore

I was not aware of any pre-2019 problems. I have a very nice CZ that was tuned up and customized at MRC. Good people and good guns. No idea what is going on with any new owners.
Old July 20, 2019, 12:24 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

We're kind of dated here. However, the "slightly customized" part and assuming it's used, means you're not covered by their warrantee anyway.
https://montanarifleco.com/warranty-service/
That would not stop me from buying a used rifle though. You can often get a higher end rifle for the same money as a new one from elsewhere. Quite often already scoped too.
"...458 Lott..." Find a reliable source of ammo and/or brass first. Expensive stuff it is too. Midway lists Norma ammo at $94.99 per 10. $9.50 per shot. Federal ammo runs $149.99 per 20. And is in very limited stock.
Norma brass is on sale at $44.99 per 25. Midway has 7 such boxes. There are no other suppliers.
Old July 21, 2019, 08:03 AM   #5
Nathan

Maybe I’m using customized wrong. These are all things being done to the rifle by MRC before it ships.

458 Lott is actually bargain ammo for it’s type. 375 h&h, 416 rem mag, 458 Win Mag and 458 Lott are the bargain calibers....Rounds like 404 Jeffries, 500 Jefferies, 460 Weatherby, and 505 Gibbs are expensive, but the nitro express, westley Richards and other rounds are super high end....as are their rifles!

I think I can reload 458 Lott into new brass for under $2.50 a shot!
Old July 21, 2019, 11:46 AM   #6
taylorce1

I didn't shoot mine as I sent it back. It was way over the advertised weight of 7lbs 14oz. By the time I added lightweight mounts and Leupold scope I was nearly 10 lbs, way to heavy for a .243 Win rifle. I'd use one of their actions to build a custom rifle, as they seemed like a decently built action.
Old July 21, 2019, 08:47 PM   #7
fourbore

When I think of MRC, I think of big bore guns. Maybe they should have stayed with their strength.
Old November 28, 2019, 08:48 AM   #8
Nathan

My order got cancelled.....basically for all the reasons you have read about online. They offered me a world of options and couldn’t deliver. The fact is that I thought them to be a semi-custom rifle maker.....they were at one time and you see those rifles around.

They are now a factory grade producer of cast model 70 actions, albeit improved, in the form of complete rifles. Looks like many of the other parts are purchased, so they are at the mercy of the limitations of those purchased parts.

I would consider buying one off gunbroker for $1200-$1500, but why would I when FN is making forged/machined model 70’s right now for less and at the highest quality levels ever! BTW, I did buy a new M70 and sent it to my gunsmith of choice(Dennis Olson) and couldn’t be happier.