The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old April 13, 2018, 01:11 AM   #1
Kimio

Vintage sniper & service rifle competitions

I’ve been reading a bit more about these types of competitions lately, and I was wondering if anyone here has been to one of these events.

I was wondering if those of you who have competed in these competitions, what your experience was like. Was there things you saw there that were unexpected or you didn’t consider as much until then? Anything in particular mistakes that you see new comers make when competing for the first time?

I’m still reading about the rules and regulations for these competitions, but they are something I’m keenly interested in trying. (The vintage sniper competitions however would require me to find a reliable and skilled partner it seems. something I sadly do not have unfortunately)

That said, I’m looking to invest into either a creedmoore M1907 Springfield, if I can find one, perhaps a Type 99 Arisaka, or a nice Swedish K31 (the viability of the latter two I am not sure about, since I haven’t looked too deeply into the availability of quality ammo and/or the requirement for me to reload my own ammo.)

Any insights would be appreciated
Old April 13, 2018, 12:50 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

"...mistakes that you see newcomers make..." Most of 'em worry far too much about looking bad. And/or not placing. Most shooters, in any discipline, will go out of their way to help a new shooters. Including letting you try their rifles.
"...sniper competitions..." More about the rifles used than actually pretending to be a sniper. Being a sniper has very little to do with shooting skills(matters, of course). More about moving without being seen. Very few, if any, sniper competitors are even close to being fit enough for that. You only need a partner for the assorted 'team' matches. And there are lots of new guys looking for partners. You do need an 'as issued' rifle for some of 'em. No 2.5 to 8 x Bushnell scopes like my '03A4 has.
You don't need a "Creedmore" '03/'03A3 either. You need a 'shooter' rifle in decent enough condition to be safe to shoot.
"...availability of quality ammo..." Reloading for most cartridges. Loading for a Type 99 Arisaka is sort of mandatory. Not much 7.7 Jap ammo around and what there is is expensive. Ditto for the 7.5 Swiss. Factory match ammo for those(or .303 Brit, 8mm Mauser, et al.) doesn't exist. You have to load it.
Anyway, the whole 'vintage' rifle match thing is about big kids playing with our big kid's toys. Milsurps are waaaay more interesting to shoot than any commercial or even cu$tom built target rifle.
Old April 14, 2018, 07:26 AM   #3
Road_Clam

I started shooting High Power at my gun club last year so i'm relatively new. First and foremost my experiences have been awesome. I'm learning that High Power is not about competition against others it's competition against yourself. Currently i'm only classified as bottom scoring Sharp Shooter , but nobody cares. I have made great relationships with High Masters who have been glad to offer me tips. I have terrible eyes and still I am warmly accepted at the matches. Lots of light jesting and laughs. High Power WILL force you to become a more proficient rifle shooter. I also have shot a few Vintage Sniper matches with my 1903-AForgery and again, just a ton of fun, very challenging for me shooting 600 yds with a 2.5X scope but I still score ok. I suggest you attend a match first just to observe as there is a LOT to learn. I shot my first match scoreless as I didn't want to be worried about keeping score, I just wanted to learn the match. I'm currently also practicing shooting my M1 Garand lefty so I can enter a Garand Match but while my shooting is ok, I fumble with clip changes and manipulating the M1 lefty (I'm typically a RH shooter). Do some research at clubs in your area, I've attended 2 High Power "instructional clinics" at my local clubs. They were $50 and absolutely awesome knowledge. Good luck, get out and try !
Old April 14, 2018, 11:30 AM   #4
T. O'Heir

Been shooting all kinds of battle rifles, my M1 included, left handed since before(that being the correct way of shooting a long gun. snicker.). No fuss at all. You still load with your right hand though.
However, why do you need to shoot your's left? Just curious.
"...have terrible eyes..." That's what prescription glasses are for. All prescription glasses have impact resistant lenses. No need for special 'shooting' glasses.
Old April 14, 2018, 11:46 AM   #5
4EVERM-14

Kimio
Look into John C. Garand Matches in your area. They are a great fun and a casual High Power experience. Some clubs even have rifles to loan. As Road Clam posted the other shooters will fall over each other to help a new shooter. And the only person who will care about score would be you.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old April 14, 2018, 04:52 PM   #6
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir
"...have terrible eyes..." That's what prescription glasses are for. All prescription glasses have impact resistant lenses. No need for special 'shooting' glasses.
I already wear prescription glasses. Worn them since I was 3 years old. I'm extremely nearsighted and my left eye is much stronger than my right. Hence why i'm learning to shoot LH.

Quote:
Been shooting all kinds of battle rifles, my M1 included, left handed since before(that being the correct way of shooting a long gun. snicker.). No fuss at all. You still load with your right hand though.
A LH shooter will not be able to load RH when shooting the High Power rapid prone course of fire. Your right arm/hand maintains support of the rifle, and is attached to your loop sling, basically immobile.