The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 5, 2020, 09:37 AM   #1
yotesmoker

ejection problem

Just purchased an older colt combat commander in 45acp.It was a safe queen and looks unfired.Took it out last sunday for first time and EVERY spent case hit me in the face.The gun is unshootable in this condition.Would this be a problem with the ejector or the extractor and what would be the fix?
Old May 5, 2020, 11:05 AM   #2
Steve in Allentown,

Getting bonked in the noggin is not conducive to good shooting.

What's happening is the case is not clearing the ejection port before the slide comes screaming back and hits it causing the case to fly like a line drive straight back at your head.

There are two major scenarios to be considered.
  1. The extractor loses control of the fired case as the slide moves rearward. The case ends up floating freely in the space above the magazine until the forward edge of the slide's ejection port contacts it and drives the hot brass straight back at the shooter.

2. The empty case makes solid contact with the ejector which drives the case horizontally into the slide area below the ejection port. This causes the case to pop up in time to be smacked by the forward edge of the slide's ejection port which drives the hot brass straight back at the shooter.
Before you clean the pistol check all around the ejection port for brass smears for evidence of this contact.

As you point out the problem is with either the extractor or the ejector. In my experience, the extractor should be your focus first. Once you get it squared away the pistol needs to be test fired to see if the problem has been solved. If not, you can move on to the ejector.

Keep in mind that lowering the ejection port is commonly done to provide a larger window through which the empty brass can fly. However, this should be your very last option.

Here's a tutorial on how to fit an extractor that should proves useful to you: L I N K.

Do not waste your time or money fiddling with the ejector until the extractor is correct.

As for the ejector, I've had the best results using extended ejectors with no angle on the nose in shorter than 5" 1911s. Here's a lousy picture of one of my Commanders showing the ejector poking through the breechface. You can see the nose is perfectly flat with just the edges gently rounded.

Here's a pic of the same ejector during the fitting process showing how long the nose is. It is so long that live round (factory FMJ) ejection is just barely possible. In other words, the ejector is short enough to allow live round ejection but no shorter than absolutely necessary. The reason for the long nose is to get the empty case out of the ejection port as soon as possible. Why? Because these short slide 1911s have a much smaller time frame in which to operate to kick the brass out than a 5" 1911.

In any event, these long ejectors that I install combined with the correctly fit extractors have proven to be utterly reliable.

Last edited by Steve in Allentown,; May 5, 2020 at 01:31 PM.
Old May 5, 2020, 01:30 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

Another point to consider is the AMMO.

Try it with another brand or a different load and see what you get. Also, be aware it might just be the way you hold the gun, ALONG with other factors.

My Dad's Govt model, when HE shot it, would drop empties right in his shirt pocket, or onto the brim of his hat. With GI ball ammo. Different load, cases went different places. When I shoot that gun, empties don't hit me in the face, though once in a while one will land on my hat, with certain loads.

All of the smaller than Govt Model guns require a slightly different degree of timing to work properly. Be aware that sometimes, the factories don't get it quite right.

A friend of mine had a 1911 that actually had the wrong ejector installed by the maker. It was a long one when it should not have been. He didn't notice it until I pointed it out to him. He'd had the gun about 6 months and had taken it shooting a few times, and didn't have a problem, because he only fired two mags each time, shooting till empty.

Turned out that the long ejector kicked out fired cases just fine, and would kick out a snap cap, or a loaded JHP ok, but would jam the gun solid if you tried to eject a loaded 230gr FMJ.

Sent it back and got it repaired all on the maker's dime. Got it back in about 2 weeks, along with an apology and a "thanks for finding this, somebody is not going to have a very merry Christmas"... It can happen.
Old May 5, 2020, 09:32 PM   #4
Scorch

This is a common problem with 1911s. As stated above, tune the extractor to hold the case snugly, then tune the ejector to eject the case out the open port. Explaining it is almost as difficult as doing it, so try out a few things as you go to see what helps.
Old May 6, 2020, 10:25 AM   #5
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotesmoker View Post
Just purchased an older colt combat commander in 45acp.It was a safe queen and looks unfired.Took it out last sunday for first time and EVERY spent case hit me in the face.The gun is unshootable in this condition.Would this be a problem with the ejector or the extractor and what would be the fix?
There is great deal of information and knowledge over on the website that specializes in 1911's and their problems, tuning, fixing. This site is more general in nature and although there are some good 1911 tuners here, you would likely benefit from the more extensive coverage of 1911 function over there. https://forums.1911forum.com/
Old May 7, 2020, 12:44 AM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

I would caution you against information overload (which you can also get here) when you ask a forum of tinkerers and tuners, you can get 300 versions of "file this, stone that, bend this, clip that, etc.

Almost certainly, one combination will fix your issue, but before you pick one to try, I'd recommend you make sure your problem is something that needs fixing.

At the risk of repeating myself, try different ammo! Try as much different ammo as you can, BEFORE you start "adjusting" the gun. (get a faceshield ) but try different stuff, and see if the gun does it with everything or just one brand or load.

IF the gun throws every empty into your face, definitely it needs some work. IF it only hits you in the face with Brand X 200gr load, and other brands and loads don't, its decision time. Have the gun tuned or just change ammo.

Your call.
Old May 7, 2020, 08:28 AM   #7
yotesmoker

Thanks for all the info.I have 5 other 1911s to shoot while this one gets fixed.Im too old to try to fix it on my own [84].I will turn it over to a smith.I do appreciate all the responses,thanks
Old May 7, 2020, 11:31 AM   #8
RickB

You might just try a new recoil spring; changing the velocity of the slide can alter case trajectory.
Old May 9, 2020, 06:20 AM   #9
std7mag

I'd first try 44AMP's suggestion of different ammo, followed by the new recoil spring.

Age has nothing to do with being able to work on a 1911.
Mostly simple hand tools are used. Files, hones, at worst a Dremel.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old May 9, 2020, 01:18 PM   #10
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotesmoker View Post
Thanks for all the info.I have 5 other 1911s to shoot while this one gets fixed.Im too old to try to fix it on my own [84].I will turn it over to a smith.I do appreciate all the responses,thanks
Come Winter time with time on your hands, you may want to consider adjusting the ejection of your Commander yourself...it is not rocket science, nor are the parts expensive if you screw them up. If you change your mind, here is a site that shows and explains how it is done. But, it is your call. Myself, I look for such Winter time projects to keep me busy.
http://www.brazoscustom.com/magart/e...perfection.htm

Look at the pictures in post #5 in this link:
https://www.1911forum.com/forums/sho....php?p=5514241

Last edited by dahermit; May 9, 2020 at 05:26 PM.
Old May 10, 2020, 11:21 AM   #11
Unclenick
Staff

As mentioned, anything that slows slide timing and velocity, such as the load, a lighter spring, or a recoil buffer, may well resolve the issue. My personal favorite, though you might not like it on a carry gun, is to substituted a square bottom firing pin stop for the original. EGW makes them both for fitting and drop-in. Just call them and say what exact model it is for. The square bottom stop works by increasing the force needed from the slide to cock the hammer by engaging the hammer closer to its pivot point, reducing mechanical advantage. This delays the slide opening which lowers its velocity. As a result, it also greatly tames muzzle jump so you can get back on target faster.

Apparently this firing pin stop shape is Browning's original design. The radiused bottom stop was part of the A1 mods and it was in answer to soldiers complaining about the force needed to rack the slide. However, that force is higher only when the hammer is down. If you cock the hammer by hand, the force is the same as with a standard stop.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle