The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 2, 2018, 12:06 AM   #1
KyleYankee

Best shooting/hunting gloves

Figured this is definitely shooting related.

Looking for some gloves to use while hunting and shooting. I have a few requirements:

Must be slim enough to allow me to actually fit my finger into the trigger guard (Duh)
Cuff on gloves must be long enough to stay tucked into my sleeves (Jacket has elastic in the sleeve cuffs so that shouldn't be too hard)
Must provide at least a little warmth for colder days but not act as a sweat lodge during the summer time
Preferably in OD or some kind of camo pattern.

I COULD NOT care less if it has touch screen capability or hard knuckles, I am never on my phone when shooting and I don't like the feel of solid knuckle gloves. Some kind of water resistance preferred.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks all.
Old March 2, 2018, 12:22 AM   #2
Hawg

I don't use gloves for shooting. When I'm hunting I use whatever is warmest and take the right hand glove off before I make a shot.
Old March 2, 2018, 08:10 AM   #3
msk26ny

I use lightweight archery gloves most of the time & wear a muff, with heat packs when it’s really cold

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old March 2, 2018, 01:26 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

Don't use 'em either. Too much loss of dexterity and trigger control.
However, you won't be using the same glove in winter that you'd use in summer. Think Thinsulate with a loop for a string/lanyard like your ma put on your mittens.
Black in colour is good enough. No movement is more important than colour.
Gloves will pop out of any elastic in the sleeve cuffs as soon as you move. Better for the cuff to be on the outside.
The cheap, really cheap, knitted gloves with the gripper spots on the palms work as well as anything.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mossy-Oak...loves/37948222
Old March 2, 2018, 02:49 PM   #5
Scoits

Not water proof but I use a wool/ silk combo on shooting hand and a hvy fleece or wool on the other. This allows me to use e-callers remote or whatever. Also lets me stick my light glove hand in my pocket but carry with the heavy glove hand.
Old March 2, 2018, 03:09 PM   #6
TrueBlue711

A simple yet effective option are nomex pilot/flyers gloves. They seem to meet your requirements. They have great finger dexterity compared to thicker gloves.

https://www.amazon.com/FLIGHT-FLYERS...s=pilot+gloves
Old March 2, 2018, 04:46 PM   #7
rpseraph

WELL! Let me tell you about a man named Nutnfancy.... awesome Youtube gear reviewer, lives in UT and has a 40 minute video on 'tactical glove' options, haha.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y0FmqHgoow

It really is a good video if you are up for it. BUT, the short version, the ones that I use and like...
Mechanix Original, good dexterity, keep the hands a little warm, doesn't fill up the trigger guard. https://www.amazon.com/Mechanix-Wear...l+covert&psc=1

PIG Full Dexterity - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PW82166...ter_B00PW81JXM
Old March 2, 2018, 06:09 PM   #8
FITASC

I shoot a lot of shotgun year round and use thin Cabretta golf gloves......
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 2, 2018, 07:13 PM   #9
Capt Rick Hiott

Kyle,,,,,Why do you need gloves to shoot a gun?

Is it a "image" thing?
Old March 2, 2018, 07:53 PM   #10
KyleYankee

No, but it is nice to keep my hands warm and dry during the winter and spring.

Thank you for the responses, all. Lots of options to pick from!
Old March 2, 2018, 08:26 PM   #11
egor20

I wear SSG Work N'Horse gloves most of the day and I've found them to work perfect for me when I shoot either my rifle or pistol, they tend to form fit to my hands and soak up sweat.
https://www.amazon.com/SSG-Horse-Rid...leather+gloves

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old March 3, 2018, 01:56 PM   #12
Machineguntony

I understand most people hate shooting with gloves, as I used to be one of those people.

With properly fitted gloves, it’s very comfortable, and you get used to the gloves very quickly. Then it feels weird to shoot without gloves.

Gloves provide a level of protection in the case of a kaboom, which no one thinks will happen to them. They also protect against cuts, scrapes, and nasty slide bite. If you’re using a silencer, the blowback sometimes will be comprised of partially unburnt powder that will land and then collect on your hands, and can then ignite if the blowback has live flames. Mainly, though, it’s protection against kabooms.

These are my favorite: the Mechanix M-Pact 2. They’re thin but the knuckle pads provide an added level of protection. I won’t shoot without them.

https://www.nightgearstore.com/en-US...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

If you want super thin gloves, these are my favorite for ultra thin and fitted gloves, but they won’t provide much protection against kabooms; however, they’re more than adequate against cuts and slide bite. They’re very cool looking, but they wear out with a moderate amount of shooting:

http://www.511tactical.com/taclite2-...CENSORED-=plas
Old March 3, 2018, 02:40 PM   #13
BarryLee

I use the Specialty Vent Covert model glove from Mechanix. They have perforations on the front and back that keep your hands cool in warm weather, but also offer warmth when cool out. They are plain black with no wild logos or other obvious tactical type features. While I don't always use them they are nice for longer shooting session or cool days.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old March 5, 2018, 10:52 PM   #14
xandi

I guess you can always “never wet” a set of gloves to make them waterproof
Old March 10, 2018, 01:14 PM   #15
bamaranger

gloves

I don't do a lot of shooting with gloves. I hunt quite a bit, and gloves are a part of that, either for concealment, warmth, or both.

My latest thing has been to use the black disposable, $1.00 a pair, rubberized elastic chore gloves you buy in bulk at Lowe's, Home Depot etc. They are not very warm, those of you in real cold will likely not find them as useful as I do. But in my locale, I find they are suitable for 75% or more of the hunting I do. The grip is outstanding, I use them in bowhunting and in turkey hunting, and find they do not compromise my sense of feel running an archery release or in running my calls. In really colder weather, I've taken to using a modest fleece handwarmer thingy that goes around my waist with a nylon strap (think what a wide receiver or QB uses). In it I chunk a disposable handwarmer or two, and with the light gloves, it worked just fine this winter, and we had some colder weather for 'Bama. Best part, you lose one, or wear a hole in it, replacement pair is $1.00.
Old March 19, 2018, 08:17 PM   #16
Prndll

I've been using Beretta gloves and they seem to work well for me.

Most of my range time is at indoor ranges. Gloves help a little with grip and alot for keeping clean hands. Put enough down range and you can get pretty dirty. I wear a Beretta hat for the same reason.
Old March 20, 2018, 06:21 AM   #17
locknloader

I don't think you are going to ever find a glove that excels in all the areas you asked for.

I can't offer any advice on water proof gloves that provide enough dexterity for shooting as i am still searching myself, but you will probably want a summer/winter pair at a minimum.

Another MAJOR thing to consider is that gloves are wear items, you will see so many reviews where people are mad their gloves did not last them 10 years. Thin gloves that give best feel are going to wear quicker, thicker ones will wear less but way less dexterity so you need to find the right balance for YOU and your needs.

For winter, i would give these a shot: Wiley X Paladin Intermediate Cold Weather Flame & Cut Combat Gloves

I have worn these down into sub zero temps and they keep your hands good and warm. If you are being active (just walking) your hands will be very warm, sitting in a tree stand not so much unless you keep your hands in your pockets, but they are not bulky so you can easily shoot with them. I've used them hunting deer with shotgun and no issues, have also shot pistol and rifle at the range with them no issues with trigger guard.

For a summer pair i would check out mechanix and PIG gloves. These will be tight fitting like a "second skin" and allow the best dexterity, but will wear very quickly under heavy use so just keep that in mind and accept that's the reality with thin gloves.
Old March 26, 2018, 06:01 PM   #18
wild willy

I wear two different gloves a thickly insulated glove on my off hand and a thinner lightweight glove on my shooting hand. I try to keep my shooting hand in a pocket with a handwarmer when on stand.
Old March 26, 2018, 06:17 PM   #19
CalmerThanYou

I have this odd condition known as Raynaud's, which in short makes my hands and feet very sensitive to cold.
I have a large array of shooting gloves. My favorites are Mechanix, they have lots of choices in thickness. I have some nice PIG gloves that are super thin and you barely know they are on. I also have some Ace Hardware work gloves that work pretty darn well.
Lucky for me I live in Wisco
Old March 26, 2018, 06:18 PM   #20
msk26ny

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleYankee View Post
Figured this is definitely shooting related.

Looking for some gloves to use while hunting and shooting. I have a few requirements:

Must be slim enough to allow me to actually fit my finger into the trigger guard (Duh)

Cuff on gloves must be long enough to stay tucked into my sleeves (Jacket has elastic in the sleeve cuffs so that shouldn't be too hard)

Must provide at least a little warmth for colder days but not act as a sweat lodge during the summer time

Preferably in OD or some kind of camo pattern.

I COULD NOT care less if it has touch screen capability or hard knuckles, I am never on my phone when shooting and I don't like the feel of solid knuckle gloves. Some kind of water resistance preferred.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks all.

Try nomex gloves , used by Air Force pilots, lightweight snug fit. Get a bib for the cold weather & put heat packs in it. Keeps your hands warm till you need to use them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old March 27, 2018, 09:21 AM   #21
stinkeypete

I live in Wisconsin. For shooting my Contender, I used A Past shooting glove. The contender had a rubber sort of blackstrap and wood side parts to the grip and .357 Max would bite my hand. Eventual solution was to get a cheap wood grip and sand it to perfect fit for my hand over many weeks. It’s easier to sand some off than to sand it back on, so I went slow.

I used the same glove for .454 because I was originally nervous about the boom. One of my mentors said “get rid of the glove or you’ll get dependent on it. Then when your shooting glove wears out, it will be discontinued and you won’t be able to find one you like.”

So... big chopper mittens with hand warmers in them and gun warm inside my second layer jacket until deer shows up. Then those arm length plastic gloves because washing arms up past your elbows in snow gets old as I did. Bare hands in the summer but I started carrying a thick shop rag as a pocket kerchief for wiping sweaty or dirty hands before shooting.

Sometimes I wear a leather work glove on my off hand for wading through brambles, but these days l just stay on the trails. Less work, more relaxed, rabbits don’t seem to mind.

Funny how I discovered a lot of habits my grandpa had. Huh.