The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 26, 2020, 10:07 PM   #1
Jaywalker

30-30 Marlin non-lead ammunition preferences?

Are there any best choices for non-lead ammunition for Marlin 30-30 lever carbines?

I'll be traveling next Fall and I want to keep the 30-30 in the truck. We may end up in California or other non-lead hunting sites during hunting season, so what lead-free ammunition do you like and what do you dislike?
Old April 27, 2020, 04:32 AM   #2
bedlamite

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/r...x-full-boar#!/
Old April 27, 2020, 08:05 AM   #3
Jaywalker

bedlamite, that does look like a good choice, but I can't locate any though Ammoseek, and Midway says it's discontinued. Any other good/bad choices?
Old April 27, 2020, 08:39 AM   #4
stagpanther

Good question--problem is you're restricted to soft round noses due to tubular magazine restrictions--if you single hand-feed your options might open up a bit. Barnes does make a 150 gr flat nose but it may be hard to find.

There's also Federal's all copper: https://www.americanhunter.org/artic...y-copper-load/

Last edited by stagpanther; April 27, 2020 at 08:50 AM.
Old April 27, 2020, 09:16 AM   #5
Jaywalker

The Federal looks promising. I should have said - I'm looking for factory ammunition since I don't reload anymore, or that "one in the chamber and one in the magazine" would be the way I'd go.
Old April 27, 2020, 09:40 AM   #6
stagpanther

Federal makes good factory 30-30 ammo in general.