The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 2, 2020, 10:41 PM   #26
Colorado Redneck

Maybe the panic is over

Posted on Powder Valley

Attention!!
Due to High order Volume you will experience delays in shipping. Expect a 10-12 Day Delay If you receive tracking and it doesn't move that night, don't be alarmed. We will be creating labels in advance to help get shipments out quicker.

Currently Shipping Orders Placed 3/22 & 3/23
Updated 4/2/2020 8:00

Reloading supplies are getting bought up, and the lgs hardware store is out of common handgun ammo. I hope this simmers down.
Old April 3, 2020, 07:31 AM   #27
Hal

Our LGS is closed.
Despite them being able to be open, they closed up shop.

It could be they sold out of everything & it could also be that they just decided to give their employees a little "raise" by laying them off.

A lot of local businesses have been doing that - laying people off so that they can collect unemployment and the extra $600 a week stimulus money.
Old April 6, 2020, 05:52 AM   #28
Don P

I hope all those folks enjoy the $1.00 a round for rifle ammo and $1.50 a round of 9 mm ammo spent during the recent buying spree.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old April 6, 2020, 06:23 AM   #29
ms6852

I haven't noticed any panic buying but in reality when all this stuff started I was already well stocked. I make it a point to always buy supplies every pay period. This philosophy helped me through during the recent 8 year drought we experienced. I was not affected by it.
Old April 10, 2020, 08:33 AM   #30
wmg1299

I’m guessing the panic will end long before the shortage does. It always takes industries some time to recover from unexpected increases in demand. While I think many of the millions of new gun owners will never shoot more than 100 rounds through their guns, a certain percentage of them are bound to find out that they actually enjoy shooting. Adding millions of new customers in such a short period of time will cause a market disruption. I expect another spike as the election approaches, I’m just hoping it’s not as drastic as the one we’re experiencing now.
Old April 10, 2020, 02:36 PM   #31
paknheat

Ammo Panic Ending?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44caliberkid View Post
Not to be a smart ass, but can anyone else say, I don't have any of these shortage problems.

Yup, I can.

Only thing I’m getting to the point of needing is some Varget. I understand it’s unobtanium right now though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old April 11, 2020, 06:32 AM   #32
armoredman

Got caught short on small pistol primers, might have to go to the range only every other week for a while.
Actually did get caught short on 7.62x39mm ammo, picked up a firearm in that caliber kind of unexpectedly, but I can cast and handload for it for some time with no problem.
Old April 11, 2020, 12:21 PM   #33
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmg1299 View Post
I’m guessing the panic will end long before the shortage does. It always takes industries some time to recover from unexpected increases in demand. While I think many of the millions of new gun owners will never shoot more than 100 rounds through their guns, a certain percentage of them are bound to find out that they actually enjoy shooting. Adding millions of new customers in such a short period of time will cause a market disruption. I expect another spike as the election approaches, I’m just hoping it’s not as drastic as the one we’re experiencing now.
I agree, until all the shutdowns and lockdowns are over, it's going to take the manufacturers time to catch up. I can say I'm glad I got what I could for primers two weeks ago because primers are going to be unavailable for the next 6 months as manufacturers focus on producing factory ammo.
Old April 12, 2020, 12:40 PM   #34
fireitall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logs View Post
Most of the gunshops here are sold out of 9mm and .40 s&w
Thankfully I use .22LR and those aren't selling out everywhere as much.
Old April 12, 2020, 02:24 PM   #35
stagpanther

I did a couple of fair-sized orders from PV a couple weeks ago and they were just shipped. I'm not getting excited about it, I just pretend is Christmas when the same thing usually happens. On the other hand, I also did an order from Rocky Mountain Reloading 7 days ago and haven't heard a thing in response to my inquiry on what the status of the order is and the money was taken out of my account immediately.
Old April 12, 2020, 04:52 PM   #36
rkammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
no end in sight, the ammo shortage could take a few years to get back to normal, it's happened before, I stopped shooting my 9mm & 45 for 5 years because of shortages / ammo limits / price increase

just few years ago dealers wanted $40 for a box of standard 9mm 115 gr fmj range ammo

and $100 for a box of Winchester WWB 100rd value pack 45 acp 230 gr fmj range ammo.
Through all the ammo panic buying over the years I've never seen prices like that. Maybe double the normal prices but, never $100/box for anything.
Old April 12, 2020, 05:04 PM   #37
wmg1299

I wasn't overly concerned about shortages until last night. I had been considering buying a .327 Federal revolver or a .32 ACP pistol for awhile, but always put it off in favor of more common cartridges. I saw last week that while 9 mm, .40, and .45 ACP were out of stock everywhere, the various .32 calibers were still available. I went to make an online purchase last night, but noticed that now even the .32 calibers were out of stock on multiple websites (unless I was willing to pay $30 for a box of 50 FMJ rounds). I figure that things might be getting bad if even the obscure calibers are getting hard to find.
Old April 12, 2020, 09:19 PM   #38
stephen426

If there is an ammo shortage, I guess its time to sell off some of my surplus and make a nice profit. I could have done the same after the Sandy Hook shooting, but was concerned about replacing my inventory. The ammo manufacturers will eventually catch up to demand and prices will drop once everyone is either stocked up or out of money to buy more ammo.
Old April 12, 2020, 09:43 PM   #39
Mike38

I told myself never again after the last panic. Well, I messed up. I have plenty of everything, but dropped the ball on small pistol primers. I only have 400 on hand.
Old April 13, 2020, 12:58 PM   #40
Hal

We had to go to Walmart just this morning to pick up a prescription.
While waiting for it to be filled, I waddled back to sporting goods to chech out the ammo situation.
It was pretty sparse - - except for .22lr !!!! of all things!
They had tons of Blazer .22lr, but, not being able to get to a range to shoot it, I passed on it.
Old April 13, 2020, 11:22 PM   #41
Ignition Override

.223 and 7.62x39 ammo: https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/win...dCatid=3042412
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/mon...ildCatid=28635

JGSales has tons of .223 and 7.62x39--at higher prices.

>>>>The point? It certainly isn't difficult to locate and order some types of ammo.
Maybe many other types are also available-I also saw them in a local Academy store four days ago, although there wasn't very much in any specific chambering.

Please excuse me now for rushing off: need to clean my Sig P6 (9mm) and Maadi "AKM clone".

Last edited by Ignition Override; April 13, 2020 at 11:30 PM.
Old April 14, 2020, 02:54 PM   #42
Rockrivr1

Must be a regional thing as ammo in the New England area is flying off the shelves. I watch a couple of the online ammo sellers that ship to my "heavily regulated state" and they cannot keep ammo in stock either. Pricing is going up and some of it is getting quite rapey.
Old April 21, 2020, 02:40 PM   #43
Swifty Morgan

I ordered 7.62x39 from Widener's, which had a reasonable price. Problem: it made it to my area, and then suddenly the box was "damaged." Back whatever was left went.

I wonder which Fedex employee is shooting my ammo right now.

My cousin worked for UPS in 1984. He said it was amazing how many boxes containing the Vanessa Williams Penthouse issue broke open all by themselves.
Old April 23, 2020, 01:05 AM   #44
Ignition Override

Academy Sports last night offered 150-rd. boxes of Win. 9mm for $32 each.
Flat rate shipping at $8.00 and box limit 5 per customer. I read about it and clicked the link on "AKfiles" (--no 'safe spaces' there, for children--): "News, Politics...".

We know about internet sales tax also being added. And Academy's ammo prices seem to be 'pre-Chinese Commie Virus'.

Either the vast majority of people don't know about this option (specific availability can be a very 'fluid' situation...), or the panic is very gradually cooling off. Possibly Academy has a huge contract with various wholesalers to keep prices 'normal'.

Last edited by Ignition Override; April 23, 2020 at 01:12 AM.