The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: I would be interested in 10-round magazines to fit: (Check as many as you need)
P14.45 6 75.00%
P13.45 2 25.00%
P12.45 2 25.00%
P16.40 1 12.50%
P15.40 1 12.50%
P14.40 2 25.00%
P18.9 2 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 26, 2020, 05:14 PM   #1
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Para-Ordnance Magazine Survey

As some of you are aware, Para-Ordnance (or ParaUSA) no longer exists. For people who own Para-Ordnance or ParaUSA double stack pistols, there is a growing problem with more and more states enacting 10-round magazine capacity limits. We can still purchase new-old-stock or aftermarket "normal" capacity magazines for the Para double stack pistols, but finding 10-round magazines for a P14, P13, or P12 (or their 9mm and .40 S&W equivalents) is difficult to impossible.

Check-Mate Industries would like to assess the potential market for 10-round, double stack magazines for Para pistols. If you live in a state with magazine a capacity limit, please take the poll and let Check-Mate know whether or not there's enough interest to move forward with development.
Jeepaholic
Old February 5, 2020, 05:48 PM   #2
the45er

Wow! Let me know!

I have a Para 14.40 40 S&W pistol. Finding any mags for this pistol is like finding a unicorn at the end of a rainbow. Hope someone comes out with some aftermarket options.
Old February 27, 2020, 10:17 PM   #3
RickB

Riveting mags to reduce capacity doesn't work in the U.S.?
I used to shoot USPSA near the Canadian border, and those guys would install rivets in their mag tubes before heading home.
Old February 27, 2020, 11:09 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Riveting mags to reduce capacity doesn't work in the U.S.?
I used to shoot USPSA near the Canadian border, and those guys would install rivets in their mag tubes before heading home.
The states with magazine capacity limitations typically state that the magazines cannot be "readily" converted to hold more than ten rounds. Drilling out a rivet is generally considered to be too easy to satisfy that requirement.

If you look at magazines that were made for larger pistols and restricted to hold ten rounds, such as the 10-round ProMag magazines I bought for a Para-Ordnance P14.45 during the federal AWB period, there's a large dimple pressed into each side the mag tube to limit the downward travel of the follower. Then the circumference of the tube is scored to a depth of what appears to be maybe half the thickness of the metal. The scoring doesn't extend into the dimples but, if the dimples are drilled out, the scoring is deep enough that the mag tube would fracture along the score line when loaded and subjected to full spring pressure.

The federal AWB language defined “large capacity ammunition feeding device” as “a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device . . . that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than 10 rounds of ammunition.”

Most of the states copied that. Drilling out a pop rivet is far too easy to satisfy such a requirement. My state's definition is:

Quote:
Large capacity magazine” means any firearm magazine, belt, drum, feed strip or similar device that has the capacity of, or can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition, but does not include: (A) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than ten rounds of ammunition, (B) a .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device, (C) a tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm, or (D) a magazine that is permanently inoperable;
Jeepaholic
Old February 27, 2020, 11:47 PM   #5
TRX

Tell 'em there's a market for non-extended 9mm Warthog magazines. I've been looking for one for over a year, and all I can find are the P13 mags with the plastic spacer on the bottom.