The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 14, 2012, 09:02 PM   #51
Elkins45

If you know someone who likes beef but doesn't like venison, here's the best way I've found to make a deer roast taste like beef:

Brown a boneless venison roast (or stew trimmings may be even better) in a pressure cooker. Chop up the biggest eye-watering onion you can find and throw it in. Add 2-3 cups of water and three or four beef bouillon cubes, seal it up and let it chug away for a good while.

You'll need to know how your pressure cooker performs so you don't vent out all the water and burn it, but if you add enough water to let it perk for 45 minutes or so without running dry the end result is as close to a good beef roast as venison gets IMO.
Old March 26, 2012, 03:50 PM   #52
bornhunters

recipes

deer stake with mushrooms sauce

To prepare a deer stake in the oven you will need the following ingredients:

- 1 kg of deer thigh
- 1 mushroom can
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 50 grams of smoked bacon
- 1 onion
- specific hunting condiments
- cooking oil

Preparing the meat

First of all you have to separate the meat from the bone. When you’re done separating them, drop the bone into a pot with boiling water together with some pepper and salt. The water will foam a couple of times until it becomes clean. Meanwhile, you can prepare the meat. You can start by stuffing it with bacon and garlic. When you have finished doing this, you will have to spice it on both sides with specific hunting condiments. After you have managed to do this, pour some oil into a tray, put the deer meat there. When done, add some water, but be careful that it doesn’t rise higher than half of the meat’s height. While you prepare the deer meat you should heat the oven so that you have it ready for cooking. It should be of a temperature of around 300-320 degrees.
The deer stake doesn’t cook very fast, so you shouldn’t rush to take it out of the oven.

Preparing the sauce

Put some oil in a cooking pan and add the onion that you have already cut into small pieces. Let it fry until it becomes of a gold color. When it does, add some mushrooms and the soup that you have got from boiling the deer bone. If you want your sauce to be more exquisite you can add half a glass of white wine. Wine goes hand to hand with the deer stake. Let the sauce boil for a small amount of time, after which, you may remove it from the fire. When the deer stake is ready, just pour the sauce on the meat and return the deer stake back in the oven for another 4-5 minutes.

It may take some time to prepare a deer stake but the effort is properly rewarded. It’s not like each day you have the privilege to enjoy such a feast. It is much healthier than cow or pork stake, so it may easily end up to be one of your families favorite foods.

Good appetite!
www.bornhunters.com
Old April 9, 2012, 02:24 PM   #53
SurplusShooter

A good recipe for squirrel...

First soak your squirrel over night in extra virgin olive oil i find it tenderizes and removes some of the gamy taste of the Squirrel. Then in a pan on high heat put in some butter and minced garlic and throw in your cut up squirrel and cook until browned while moving it around. Now turn the heat to medium and put in 1 cup of broth/stock I use chicken but beef would work, also add any vegetables you would like i usually ad carrots and celery cover and let simmer for about 10 minutes. Then sever either over biscuits,potatoes, rice, or noodles and enjoy.
Old May 13, 2012, 10:39 PM   #54
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Recipe Thread for Fried Deer Loin steak

Quote:
I like just plain old fried loin steak .
Cut Loin steak 1/4" thick.
Dredge in flour (twice.) Second time just before placing in frying pan.
8" Hot frying pan with 1/4 stick of butter and a drizzle of olive oil for cooking the meat in. (don't burn the butter)
Pepper meat to taste. (no salt)

Fry steak till preferred done'ness. Remember to turn meat over once only
Remove steak from frying pan to covered dish.
1/2 med size onion cut into thin rings and cook in same hot frying pan.
Add 1 1/2-onces of Teriyaki Sauce mixed with 3-5-oz. of cold water.
Cook mixture over high heat. Stir those onions around a little bit. Pepper to taste. Cover and cook till onions are steamed and done.
Pour the entire frying pan contents over the already plated fried steak.
Serve with lightly mashed boiled potatoes. Spill some of that onion sauce on top of those boiled taters and the over your steak too. >Mighty tasty. You'll wish you had fried more than you actually did._
Old May 21, 2012, 07:47 AM   #55
camper4lyfe

I cooked up half of a whole boar over the weekend.

I brined it for 24 hours:

1 gallon of water
1 cup of kosher salt
1 cup of sugar
(The size of the cooler and the size of the meat will dictate how much you need to make. I had to do 5 gallons of water)

Then after rinsing, I added my rub to it. It's just a simple recipe that I got out of the Barbecue Bible.

The results were delicious!

IMG_0056 by camper4lyfe, on Flickr

IMG_0139 by camper4lyfe, on Flickr

IMG_0169 by camper4lyfe, on Flickr
Old May 21, 2012, 02:01 PM   #56
Gilbert Shooter

Thats some good looking boar but I really like the pit you made.
Old October 18, 2012, 12:37 PM   #57
doofus47

Suggestion for Taming deer flavor: Rosemary

So I long ago reconciled myself to the fact that deer will taste like deer. It's like salmon. Dress it up how you like, salmon has a unique flavor. For some people, the deer taste is a show stopper.

I was making tacos using deer meat the other day and I threw in some rosemary as a spur of the moment "what if" addition. I didn't put in too much b/c rosemary has a pretty strong flavor. Still it seemed to dampen the gamy deer flavor. My wife agreed and my kids, my hardest critics, didn't kabbitz about either the deer flavor (which they usually don't) nor the rosemary.

So,
brown your ground deer meat in a pan,
add cumin, garlic salt, rosemary to taste and serve 'em up.
Old November 6, 2012, 10:49 PM   #58
12GaugeShuggoth

Yummy Deer Heart

Yummy Deer Heart

Soak heart in water with a dash of sea salt over night in the fridge, rinse well before slicing making sure to get out all the blood. Slice heart in half, then remove all the tough stuff. Slice remaining meat in "bite sized" pieces, use your own discretion.

Slice a white onion however you like, I prefer about 4" strips.

Place skillet on medium heat, with just a touch of whatever cooking oil you prefer.

Start with the onions, don't let them cook fast, you want them to slowly brown and caramelize as the meat gets done. After onions have been in a few minutes, add heart pieces, and add some salt or pepper as you like. Once the onions have browned up nicely, add in some beer.

I always use a seasonal dark beer of one kind or another, with the best taste so far having come from St. George Brewery American Brown Ale (local brewery), but Blue Moon Winter Abbey Ale gives a very good taste as well that I'm quite fond of. I put in enough beer to just barely cover the meat, then turn the heat up a little to get the beer simmering nicely, but not boiling. Add in more beer if you feel like it, but you don't want to over cook the meat, it's really best at about medium-rare.

Serve with honey-mustard made up with some spicy brown mustard, or my personal favorite is our home made blackberry jam. Of course finish that beer off as well. Eat. Drink. Smile. Take a nap.

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE
Old February 17, 2013, 08:57 PM   #59

Venison Breakfast Sausage (Jimmy Dean Clone)

4 lbs Ground Venison
4 lbs Pork Butt (Make sure it's fatty)
8 tsp Salt
3 tsp Cayenne pepper
3 tsp sage
2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
2 tsp corriander
2 tsp thyme
2 tsp marjoram
2 tsp coarsely ground rosemary.

Run meat through a coarse grinding plate and set aside. Mix dry spices in separate bowl, stir to mix, and add gradually as you throughly knead ground meat. Let stand in refrigerator for 4 hours to marry flavors. The recipe makes 8 one pound loaves.

Do not overcook, this recipe is very lean.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.

Last edited by .284; February 19, 2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old February 27, 2013, 01:41 PM   #60
wooly booger

Quote:
Yummy Deer Heart

Soak heart in water with a dash of sea salt over night in the fridge, rinse well before slicing making sure to get out all the blood. Slice heart in half, then remove all the tough stuff. Slice remaining meat in "bite sized" pieces, use your own discretion.

Slice a white onion however you like, I prefer about 4" strips.

Place skillet on medium heat, with just a touch of whatever cooking oil you prefer.

Start with the onions, don't let them cook fast, you want them to slowly brown and caramelize as the meat gets done. After onions have been in a few minutes, add heart pieces, and add some salt or pepper as you like. Once the onions have browned up nicely, add in some beer.

I always use a seasonal dark beer of one kind or another, with the best taste so far having come from St. George Brewery American Brown Ale (local brewery), but Blue Moon Winter Abbey Ale gives a very good taste as well that I'm quite fond of. I put in enough beer to just barely cover the meat, then turn the heat up a little to get the beer simmering nicely, but not boiling. Add in more beer if you feel like it, but you don't want to over cook the meat, it's really best at about medium-rare.

Serve with honey-mustard made up with some spicy brown mustard, or my personal favorite is our home made blackberry jam. Of course finish that beer off as well. Eat. Drink. Smile. Take a nap.

Dayum

That is me right there
Old February 27, 2013, 06:29 PM   #61
Mauser8mm

Squirrel Kebabs!

After you had a full day of hunting squirrels, you are probably very hungry. Here is a recipe you can use if you like to eat your game!

Ingredients:

- Squirrel
- Butter
- Olive Oil
- Spices (Of Your Choosing)

Items:

- Kebab Stick (Or whatever you call it )
- Low Dish, Or Cake Dish
- Grill!!

Instructions:

- Cut your squirrel meat into small bite size chunks, as if they aren't already small enough!!

- Layer the bottom of your dish with an even amount of melted butter and olive oil

- Dip the stick, or whatever you use to make kebabs in the mixture of butter and oil, then slip the squirrel bits on each stick depending on how much meat you have

- Now dip the 'Squirrel Kebabs' in the butter and oil, then add the spices of your choice

- Preheat the grill for about 5 minutes, then put the kebabs on the top rack

- Cook until the squirrel looks finished, (depending on your heat of course) then take the kebabs off and slide the meat on to your serving dish

- Enjoy!

PM me if you decide to try it and let me know how you like it!
Old March 6, 2013, 07:49 PM   #62
BerdanSS

Drunk Orchard mop sauce.

Great for chicken and game birds (guess you could use it on pork, beef or Venison too)

1 can of Strongbow hard cider (or angry orchard, Crispin's works well also if you like a more beer/ale taste. use the same amount as the strongbow 16.9oz I believe. I like the Lansdowne for the Crispin's)
1/3 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons Tabasco sauce (or franks red hot, buffalo is good too)
1/3 cup chicken stock
2 teaspoons sea salt
1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce (optional)

Last edited by BerdanSS; March 7, 2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old March 11, 2013, 11:44 PM   #63
BerdanSS

Woodland tacos anyone?

Tacos, taco salad, nachos, burritos......

1 lb. ground venison
4-5 whole green onions (diced)
1 small tomato (diced)
small lime
dash of course salt

Seasoning:
(these can be substituted with one packet of Hot taco seasoning if needed)
1 table spoon chili powder
1/4 cup of water
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1/4 cup taco hot sauce

Brown ground venison over med. heat and add diced tomato, green onions and salt. Cook until onions are tender (about 3 minuets) squeeze 1/3 of the lime over the meat, stir and add seasoning continuing to cook over medium heat until mixture thickens. Add you favorite toppings. Only takes about 8 minuets and makes great nachos for game night

Old November 21, 2013, 05:24 PM   #64
huntinaz

Easy Jerky Recipe

I'm digging this recipe a lot. Easy to make, no marinade, and doesn't overpower the flavor of the animal.

2-3 lbs meat
1/4 cup bourbon or Tennessee Whiskey
2-4 capfuls liquid smoke
~1 tsp course Kosher or sea salt
~1 tsp Fresh ground pepper

Cut meat into strips like you normally would. Add the whiskey, smoke, salt and pepper. I mix the salt and pepper in slowly, mixing the meat in between. Mix thoroughly and dehydrate. You can adjust salt and pepper to taste. I do this with the raw meat but if you don't want to do that, this ratio should be close.
Old July 19, 2014, 08:10 PM   #65
mannyCA

Rabbit Stew...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d4UJX5sT1I

Old November 3, 2014, 09:53 PM   #66
Barnacle Brad

Here is the burger calculator I created. It is only for 15% and 20%, but if you are a spreadsheet person it can be modified to suit your preference.

Burger Calculator
Old February 21, 2015, 12:18 PM   #67
HiBC

That sheet of meat over the ribs

I confess I have not tried this.

But skinning,dressing,you know that easily separated sheet of meat over the ribs?
Or,maybe even if you had an elk or moose diaphragm,check this vid out.

Its about "braised lamb breast".These are rolled and tied,with interesting things in the roll,then braised in a dutch oven or casserole.

Regardless of what you think of Gordon Ramsay(and please,we really do not need opinions of Gordon Ramsay,I'd rather you did not share them.Yes,he can be ...a donkey.So what?Its a useful vid)

http://youtu.be/cpjWgB89I08
Old February 23, 2015, 01:35 PM   #68
cnimrod

sounds like a good way

not to overcook em

I'll be trying this soon:

http://worthytales.net/saw-video-coo...ak-life-idea/#
Old October 20, 2016, 06:26 PM   #69
huntinaz

Elk Liver Pate

This is adapted from the recipe found here: Elk Liver Pate. I used her recipe the first round and it was too bitter (too much mustard), too much butter and the alcohol ratio was way too high. I made some adjustments and added a few things and it came out way better. My recipe is what is printed but is derived from hers. Notice my recipe is for 2lbs liver, hers is for 1/2 lb. If you follow her recipe cut the alcohol contest by at least half in my opinion.

Choice of liquor:
I used a light Armagnac the first go-round and that was good except the ratio was way too strong. The second batch I used a Calvados and that was excellent. I believe any good quality Cognac, Armagnac or Calvados would all be good choices and I also think a light to moderately peated Scotch would be worth a try at some point i.e. Highland Park, Springbank, Bunnahabhain etc.

My Recipe:

Milk, for soaking liver
1 quart water or enough to cover liver when cooking
1 tsp salt
2 celery stalks, split and halved
6 sprigs parsley
15-20 peppercorns
1 tsp dry hot chili flakes
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 lbs elk liver, cut into pieces and outer membrane removed (you could use any game or domestic liver)
1 tsp salt
2 sticks butter
1 large dollup bacon grease
1 tsp grated nutmeg
2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp ground allspice
2 pinches ground cloves
1/2tsp ground sage
1/2 tsp ground coriander
2 pinches dried thyme
4 green onions, finely chopped
1 tsp minced garlic
1/3 cup Calvados (see comment on liquor above)
4 tbsp finely chopped parsley
3/4 cup heavy cream

Place liver in a bowl and cover with milk, let soak in fridge for at least an hour, overnight is also fine. After testing I do believe this cuts the heavy flavor of game livers, particularly elk.

Pour water in a large pot and add 1 tsp salt, celery, parsley sprigs, peppercorns, hot chili flakes & the cinnamon. Bring brine up to a boil, cover, reduce heat and let simmer for 10 minutes. Add the liver and bring back up to a boil, reduce heat, cover and let simmer for 8 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Remove the liver pieces and place on a plate to cool.

Meanwhile, place the butter, bacon fat, remaining salt, nutmeg, dry mustard, sage, coriander,thyme, allspice, cloves, green onions, garlic, liquor and parsley into a food processor. Pulse until well blended. Once the liver is cool remove the outside membrane and any gristle. Chop finely and add to the food processor. Pulse until well blended and smooth. Add the heavy cream and blend until mixed.

Line a ramekin or bowl with plastic wrap and spoon in the pate. Smooth out and wrap well in plastic wrap. Store in the fridge overnight before serving or freeze for later use.

To serve: remove plastic wrap and invert onto a plate. Use a warm knife to smooth out any rough spots. Cover the top with freshly ground pepper and finely chopped fresh parsley. Serve with simple or unflavored crackers or bread/toast. This is also good with toast and a tart jam/jelly. If serving with jelly I prefer to leave the parsley garnish out.

*this also works very well as a condiment to your grilled elk steaks as you would use horseradish

Enjoy!
Old April 21, 2019, 10:28 AM   #70
R.FORTE

The Pellet Detector for duck, goose, turkey hunting
Pinpoints most types of commercial steel shot
Remove hidden shot before cooking and eating
Easy to use
Sanitary
Audible and visual indicators

Duck hunting product, anyone have one of these? How well does it work?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HYHQW9P?ref=myi_title_dp
Old November 4, 2020, 04:35 PM   #71
stinkeypete

Maple syrup/apple grilled pheasant breast over rice with dried cherry slivers

Let bird rest in a cool place for a few days. I use the “10 second” method of pulling on the feet to get a nice skinned breast carcass. The breasts are easy to filet.

Neck, thighs, legs, the carcass post filleting etc are browned in a skillet to make soup stock- that’s another day’s meal.

Marinade: 2 tablespoons of local maple syrup to 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar with the smallest pinch of salt.
Marinate breasts at least an hour.

Set grill to medium heat. Not too hot! The filets are thin. There are two main muscle groups per breast, it’s okay if they are separate (giving two large filets and two ‘fingers”)

Grill lightly one side. Flip, top with the best unsweetened applesauce you can find. Let bake... the apple sauce helps keep your bird moist but so is keeping your heat medium/low. Bird is going to take about 10 minutes to cook.

Make yourself some brown or wild rice. That takes over an hour. Argue! Man hungry NOW! While you wait, chop up a couple tablespoons of dried Michigan cherries. Chop em real fine, a little goes a long ways.

Sautée the cooked rice and chopped cherries in butter... mixing the cherries and mmmm butter!

Serve the filet with baked apple sauce on top over a bed of that rice. Acorn squash (an hour!? Hungry now!) with butter and brown sugar complement the flavors, as does local micro brew beer.

Everything can be sourced local except the cherries, and Michigan is a good neighbor so that’s just fine too.
Old November 5, 2020, 11:23 AM   #72
Double K

Colorado wild game

I only have the loins cut into steaks on deer and antelope, 1" thick, the rest gets ground into burger with 10% beef fat.
Either way were talking about animals that don't get grain or human food crops to eat consequently normal cooking methods result in extremely gamey tasting meat.
Here's the single best tip for cooking western deer and antelope, marinate or add to the burger Teriyaki sauce, doesn't need a lot but it's the best thing there is to kill gaminess. Secondly never overcook the meat, I eat the steaks rare to medium rare and the burgers pink on the inside.
Marinate the steaks overnight in Teriyaki and olive oil, I also heavily season it with Canadian steak seasoning. Toothpick a slice of bacon around the outside edge of each steak.
Preheat grill to 600 degree's{never pan fry mule deer}, grill on each side 3 minutes and move to the top rack of the grill{on low} or on a rack in your oven{350} for another 5-7 minutes until it's as rare as you can tolerate eating it.
Serve with horseradish sauce.
I had some sweet peppers for a little extra flavor the day I grilled these antelope steaks.

Smoked antelope meatloaf, but that's a recipe for another day.