The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 21, 2018, 04:48 AM   #1
JJ45

Difference between Glock and XD

Basic service models Glock 22 9mm and XD9 service. How, in your opinion do they differ significantly.
Old March 21, 2018, 05:45 AM   #2
Siggy-06

Glock 22 is 40s&w, XD9 is 9mm. XD9 has a grip safety. The XD9 has an ambidextrous mag release, while Glock has a reversible one. The Glock has a slightly lower bore axis. The XD9 Mod 2's grip is more comfortable in my opinion than the glock Gen 4. The glock will weigh a few ounces less. And for the obvious, Glock is Austrian, XD is Croatian.
Old March 21, 2018, 07:30 AM   #3
Whirlwind06

Glock is one of the most popular handguns in the world. Issued to thousands of police officers. XD is not.
Old March 21, 2018, 07:40 AM   #4
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ45 View Post
Basic service models Glock 22 9mm and XD9 service. How, in your opinion do they differ significantly.
Trigger mechanisms are different. XD has single action trigger, Glock is kind of a half tensioned striker.

Slide and striker design is quite different. (The Glock in this case is a marvel of design. Much simpler).

XD is heavier.

"Grip angle!!!" (Don't even let that be a factor. Just ignore it.)
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old March 21, 2018, 08:20 AM   #5
adamBomb

The obvious is a grip safety. I think this is a significant factor. I would never carry a glock because it has no manual safety. I would however carry an XD. I've yet to hear of XD leg.
Old March 21, 2018, 08:20 AM   #6
Johnny B

Springfield is a duplicitous, traitorous company that has donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to politicians that have no respect for your constitutional right to own either.

Glock designs and manufactures firearms. Springfield imports firearms and misappropriates a name with a deep military history in the United States.

As for performance, out of the box, I shoot the Springfield better. Better sights, points more naturally. The Glock is more easily tailored to a specific shooter's preferences with its unparalleled aftermarket support, and is the more tested and proven platform.
Old March 21, 2018, 09:03 AM   #7
Fishbed77

Quote:
Springfield is a duplicitous, traitorous company that has donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to politicians that have no respect for your constitutional right to own either.
This. ^
Old March 21, 2018, 09:29 AM   #8
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Documentation?
Not arguing, just curious where you got this from.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 21, 2018, 09:33 AM   #9
Cheapshooter

40 S&W Glocks are notorious for Kabooms, XDs aren't.
Old March 21, 2018, 10:28 AM   #10
Fishbed77

Quote:
Documentation?
This is well documented.

Google "Springfield Armory Sell Out" or "Illinois Firearm Manufacturers Association."

Basically, Springfield Armory's lobbyists (Illinois Firearm Manufacturers Association) backed an Illinois bill (Illinois Gun Dealer Licensing Act) that would impose an onerous mandate requiring state licensing and restrictions for all Illinois firearms dealers, as long as manufacturers & dealers of a certain size (Springfield Armory and big box stores, for example) were exempt.

When Springfield Armory was called out for this, they initially lied and said they new nothing about it, when in fact the board of the Illinois Firearm Manufacturers Association was made up almost entirely of employees of Springfield Armory and Rock River Arms.
Old March 21, 2018, 10:39 AM   #11
Cheapshooter

^^^
You mean this?
https://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2017/0...licensing-act/
Old March 21, 2018, 10:40 AM   #12
Cheapshooter

Actually, my Glocks outnumber my Springers two to one. Both are quite good. I think the biggest thing is if you want the extra security of the grip safety on the XD.
Old March 21, 2018, 11:06 AM   #13
Johnny B

Cheapshooter, Fishbed summed it up pretty well. There are also a number of videos on YouTube about it from the likes of Military Arms Channel, Yankee Marshal, etc.

I didn't want to hijack the thread with politics, but Springfield really does need to learn a lesson and so many people in the gun community don't know anything of their serious missteps against us.

The safeties are a good point. Not just the grip safety, but if you are not comfortable carrying a striker fired gun without a manual safety, the XD wins on that alone, as that is an available feature.

However, I hate when someone asks "x or y" and someone answers "z", but given my feelings towards Springfield, I guess if x isn't the answer, I'd encourage you to check out z. Sig? Smith and Wesson?
Old March 21, 2018, 11:24 AM   #14
jr24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B View Post

Glock designs and manufactures firearms. Springfield imports firearms and misappropriates a name with a deep military history in the United States.

As for performance, out of the box, I shoot the Springfield better. Better sights, points more naturally. The Glock is more easily tailored to a specific shooter's preferences with its unparalleled aftermarket support, and is the more tested and proven platform.
This. I am still mad at Springfield and also do not love that their flagship gun is just a rebranded import.

My M1A is still a great rifle so I'm not THAT mad at them. Maybe they'll do enough to win me back soon, but the huge slide and high bore axis (and recoil) on the XD makes Glocl the superior choice in my hands.

Quote:
The obvious is a grip safety. I think this is a significant factor. I would never carry a glock because it has no manual safety. I would however carry an XD. I've yet to hear of XD leg.
Might be the millions fewer in holsters as a sign.

I'll never understand this mindset. If you are holstering a loaded firearm, PAY THE BLEEP ATTENTION to what you are doing. If you are a citizen CCW there is no excuse for such negligence.

The response is reholstering in "high stress" i.e. after a shooting. Fair, but in such high stress where you can't holster properly, what are the chances you remember to re engage the safety or grip your XD correctly, or use a decocker for that matter. So the advantage is gone in that circumstance IMO.

It always boils down to practice, mindset, and following the 4 rules.

*LEO holstering in high stress is certainly a consideration as they might have to so so while wrasslin or chasing a suspect, etc, but again I'm not sure in that situation they are worrying about re engaging a safety feature either. I'll admit I'm not LEO so I'll cede to them, but if it was such an advantage we'd see lots more XDs or manual safety equipped guns in LEO holsters than we have now.
Old March 21, 2018, 12:58 PM   #15
Cheapshooter

jr24, are you also still boycotting Smith and Wesson over their agreements with the Clinton administration on gun control?
I think the statement in the link I posted pretty much admitted, and apologized for their mistake. Just like S&W did, but a lot sooner.
Old March 21, 2018, 12:58 PM   #16
Fishbed77

Congrats. You found a link to a blog regurgitating Springfield's own press release.

The facts are pretty clear on this and it was reported extensively. Springfield Armory threw Illinois gun owners under the bus for its own gain and got caught.
Old March 21, 2018, 01:01 PM   #17
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapshooter View Post
jr24, are you also still boycotting Smith and Wesson over their agreements with the Clinton administration on gun control?
I think the statement in the link I posted pretty much admitted, and apologized for their mistake. Just like S&W did, but a lot sooner.

One company’s actions are much more recent than the others. Plenty of people were pissed at S&W at the time of their actions as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 21, 2018, 01:02 PM   #18
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Glock is one of the most popular handguns in the world. Issued to thousands of police officers. XD is not.
Because of an aggressive marketing program by Glock. Including deep discounts for law enforcement agencies, and individual first responders.
Old March 21, 2018, 01:10 PM   #19
Fishbed77

Quote:
Because of an aggressive marketing program by Glock. Including deep discounts for law enforcement agencies, and individual first responders.
Also many larger police department procurement specifications rule out single-action-only pistols, which eliminates the XD/HS2000 line from contention.
Old March 21, 2018, 01:19 PM   #20
TunnelRat

Difference between Glock and XD

Quote:

That is absolutely a factor, maybe the biggest factor. But it is also not the only factor. There are a number of pistols still cheaper than leo priced Glocks. If it didn’t maintain some level of performance it wouldn’t still be used decades later.

I’ve owned multiple XDs. I thought they were fine. I don’t know how the two compare in long term durability but I imagine the XD will do well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 21, 2018, 02:02 PM   #21
Johnny B

Quote:
Smith is under different ownership than when that occurred. I'll preemptively mention that Bill Ruger, another popular example, is dead.

We can't really be mad at a company, per se, but at the leadership when they do something so obviously contrary to our interests. When they're gone, it's a new situation, at least in my opinion. You are certainly entitled to yours, and I'm not opposed to changing mine if a well formed argument convinces me otherwise.
Old March 21, 2018, 02:12 PM   #22
jr24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B View Post
Smith is under different ownership than when that occurred. I'll preemptively mention that Bill Ruger, another popular example, is dead.

We can't really be mad at a company, per se, but at the leadership when they do something so obviously contrary to our interests. When they're gone, it's a new situation, at least in my opinion. You are certainly entitled to yours, and I'm not opposed to changing mine if a well formed argument convinces me otherwise.
This, more or less, though I actually don't like any S&W offerings as I find the current revolvers over priced and hate the M&P triggers. Also the locks, hate the locks.

I prefer Ruger and Glock, respectively.

Also, to quote myself.

Quote:
. Maybe they'll do enough to win me back soon,
I never said boycott forever, I said I was mad at them and may get over it soon.
Old March 21, 2018, 02:46 PM   #23
DaleA

Quote:
I never said boycott forever, I said I was mad at them and may get over it soon.
Well, IMhO, nice response. Reasonable. This is the kind of 'common sense' I like to see in gun discussions.
Old March 21, 2018, 06:24 PM   #24
jmr40

When S&W made the deal they were owned by a British company. Shortly after they were bought out by an American company who told the government they had no intentions of honoring the previous owners agreement. And they never did.

Any dealings with XD and deals with the government are news to me, but if true would give me a reason not to buy.

XD trigger is true Single action. The striker is fully cocked and the gun fires when the trigger is pulled. This automatically excludes XD from consideration from virtually all police use.

The Glock trigger is partially cocked, when the trigger is pulled the firing in becomes fully cocked and then released. Technically it classifies as DAO. Virtually all other striker fired guns work the same.

While technically the triggers are different. In the real world they are remarkably similar.

The problem with Glock KB's in 40 caliber were solved years ago. Don't buy one made in the 1990's if it bothers you.

The Glock in 9mm is one of the most proven guns ever devised. The XD simply has very little history.

The grip safety on an XD is far more likely to prevent the gun from firing when you really need the gun to fire than it is to prevent the gun from firing when you don't want it to fire. That feature alone makes the XD a no-go for me.

If you can live with the grip safety I think that for most people there isn't much difference.

Winston Churchill
Old March 21, 2018, 06:37 PM   #25
Sharkbite

Quote:
XD trigger is true Single action. The striker is fully cocked and the gun fires when the trigger is pulled. This automatically excludes XD from consideration from virtually all police use.
The S&W M&P is fully cocked as well. Lots of them in duty use.