The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 6, 2018, 08:15 PM   #1
WV_gunner

ITAR questions

Is ITAR still a thing and has some of its reaches shortened? I read an article saying they might be possibly releasing some restrictions but can’t find if it happened. I wasn’t aware of ITAR, thought I just needed a FFL 06. So my idea is gone now unless it’s done away with. Secondly if I’m reading right even making a gun stick falls under ITAR which kills my other idea. Trying to start a small business involving guns somehow. I mean I was considering the charcoal business but legally can’t even make it without permits unless what I burn grew on my own property. Government regulations everywhere it seems. I’m fine with a business registration but it’s the associated fees after it that kill anything. I do work on cars in my spare time for extra money but it’s hard to do that and work around customer’s schedules when I already work a fulltime job. I figured ammo making for odd rounds could be a way to go. But ITAR kills it. I like carpentry work so stocks seems logical but not if ITAR is still involved. I don’t want to just sell store bought ammo or guns, way too many people that. I work with a gun dealer and a guy who sells ammo and reloading supplies. I thought about assembling AKs and ARs but ITAR is still there.
Old July 7, 2018, 12:21 AM   #2
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV_gunner
Is ITAR still a thing...
Yes ITAR is still a thing.

If one is interested in going into some gun related business involving gunsmithing or manufacturing of guns or shooting related items he would be well advised to hire a qualified lawyer to help guide him through regulatory compliance issues.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old July 7, 2018, 04:53 AM   #3
WV_gunner

That was my thoughts too, thanks. Looks like I’m going to have to come up with something else.
Old July 7, 2018, 09:31 AM   #4
BBarn

Deleted my post. While I felt it represented the original intent of ITAR, like many other things, the original intent has been corrupted. In this case, the deterioration of ITAR has made my original post incorrect.

Some gunsmithing and ammunition production is now considered to fall under ITAR. There is even a PDF document issued by the US Department of State specifically defining the scope of ITAR with regard to gunsmithing and ammunition production.

A link to the document can be found at

https://gov-relations.com/itar/

in the right hand column.

Sorry for my earlier misinformation.

Last edited by BBarn; July 7, 2018 at 11:44 AM.
Old July 7, 2018, 10:06 AM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

BBarn, when did you last have ITAR training? IIRC, the Obama administration changed/expanded the scope of ITAR considerably.
Old July 7, 2018, 10:39 AM   #6
BBarn

Not sure exactly. During Obama, late first term to mid second term.
Old July 8, 2018, 05:48 AM   #7
WV_gunner

I read the PDF, under 1h it looks like I’m good to go. I won’t be using automated equipment. It does say .50 and smaller though, just wonder if that means shotguns aren’t allowed except .410 and 9mm. I emailed them.