The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 27, 2018, 08:03 AM   #1
WyMark

Weird bullet action

I don't want this to be a drive-by, but at the same time I think you really need to see what happens when this guy fires a round into a frozen lake. It's not at all what I would have expected to see. Not something I think I'd want to try, my luck the ice would fracture and dump me in.

Guy shoots into ice.
Old June 27, 2018, 08:28 AM   #2
TXAZ

Not weird but expected. The bullet left the barrel spinning at OM 100,000 rpm.

Mythbusters did a session on this several years ago, but took more shots to show the effect than this guy.
MythBusters spinning bullet=> 2:00 minutes

Not quite up to Darwin Award honorable mention status, this guy wasn't very smart in his safety practices.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old June 27, 2018, 10:40 AM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I can't view the link. They want me to subscribe, or disable my ad blocker. Neither is going to happen.
Old June 27, 2018, 05:57 PM   #4
RickB

Quote:
Not weird but expected. The bullet left the barrel spinning at OM 100,000 rpm
But, since a bullet typically is actually in the air for a fraction of a second . . .
I remember an episode of CSI, in which they recreated a shooting with an animation of a bullet spinning like a buzz saw as it enters the body, but if you figure a rifling twist of 1:12, the bullet might not make even one revolution as it passes completely through a body.
Old June 27, 2018, 07:52 PM   #5
WyMark

I saw the Myth Busters episode with the spinning bullet. What was unique about this one was how it spun point down like a top and traveled over the ice. I thought it was pretty cool. ymmv
Old June 30, 2018, 04:38 PM   #6
briandg

Oh, my, that was unexpected. the thing was rapidly spinning and it was trapped on a nearly friction free surface. It makes a lot of sense, but it's still unexpected.

At a velocity of 1,000 fps, with rotation being approx 1:12, you would have 1,000 revolutions per second when the thing stopped moving forward, and ice didn't allow friction to shut it down.
Old June 30, 2018, 06:04 PM   #7
gwpercle

I don't believe it. But I don't believe in a lot of things, so what do I know .

Last edited by gwpercle; June 30, 2018 at 06:11 PM.
Old June 30, 2018, 10:08 PM   #8
briandg

I believe it but it would require that the thing lose all forward momentum while still retaining all of its rotational momentum. In other words it would have to stop, and keep spinning. If you wreck your car, your motor will keep running, and a bullet sitting on a nearly frictionless surface, for example, wet ice, will continue to rotate at the same speed as it was when it stopped and it would gradually slow down as the minimal amount of friction that wet ice provides dragged it down to a stop.