The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 29, 2018, 02:23 PM   #1
Pahoo

Determing langth of pull on SXS ???

Needing some expert input on determining the correct length for a SXS shotgun that has two triggers. ……

I have cut down stocks on other shotguns and some rifles. I have good tools and my technique works well. I have a SXS whose length is definitely too long. Just need some pointers on how to cut down a SXS. Any and all help will be appreciated. …..

Be Safe !!!
Old June 29, 2018, 04:17 PM   #2
FITASC

There is more to making a stock fit then cutting it. You also (and especially with a SxS) need to take into account, DAH, DAC, Cast, toe and pitch. If you just cut it short, you may affect all of the others.

Most SxS with straight grips typically take a much longer LOP than a pistol grip grip gun. There are designed to be shot using a "long arm" method on the foreend
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 30, 2018, 01:03 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

Do the LOP for the front trigger. However, like FITASC says, it's not the same as a rifle. A SXS is more pointed than aimed like a rifle. And the type of stock matters. A pump gun is a different thing again. Those can be cut with a mitre saw/box because the stocks are more like a rifle stock.
Read this. (Anybody with a 33” dress shirt sleeve is mutated. Knew a guy in the Army who took a 36" sleeve. snicker.)
http://sidebysideshotgun.com/article...g_article.html
Old June 30, 2018, 07:11 PM   #4
Mobuck

I had my SxS stock cut and a pad fitted. I determined the length by bending my elbow 90* and measuring from the inside of the bend to my bent trigger finger. This was the length from buttplate to front trigger.
Old June 30, 2018, 08:01 PM   #5
FITASC

Sorry, but that method is irrelevant, it does NOT include the other factors, and has nothing to do with real fitting
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 1, 2018, 06:47 AM   #6
Mobuck

"Sorry, but that method is irrelevant, it does NOT include the other factors, and has nothing to do with real fitting"
OP said NOTHING about "real fitting". Question was about "length of pull".
Old July 1, 2018, 06:53 AM   #7
ammo.crafter

LOP SXS

Bring the SXS to a qualified gunsmith who has stock fitting experience.

A stock fit jig will quickly demonstrate the proper LOP for your body shape.
Old July 1, 2018, 07:02 AM   #8
NoSecondBest

99.99% of the people who cut stocks on shotguns have no idea what they're doing to get the correct fit. FITASC got it correct in his answer. For most field type hunting guns it's better to have the longest pull you can mount and shoot than it is to cut it down too short. Many a gun has been ruined by shade tree gun smithing. Fitting shotgun stocks takes years of experience and knowledge on how fit effects outcome on these guns. Good luck with what you end up with.
Old July 1, 2018, 01:24 PM   #9
Pahoo

So true !!!

Quote:
OP said NOTHING about "real fitting". Question was about "length of pull".
That is correct and just needed some basic pointers on length of pull for SXS. I am aware of the additional information provided. Although not applicable in this case, it is appreciated ……

Quote:
Bring the SXS to a qualified gunsmith who has stock fitting experience.
If you are a GunSmith, I'm, sure I wouldn't make a patch on your coveralls. However, in this case I am qualified on cutting "this" stock. ….

Be Safe !!!
Old July 2, 2018, 06:21 AM   #10
weaselfire

Cut it too short and keep adding filler pieces until it fits.

Seriously, stock fit is not just length of pull. If all you want to go by is LOP, then measure it and cut.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old July 2, 2018, 10:18 AM   #11
Pahoo

Measure twice and cut once !!!

Quote:
Cut it too short and keep adding filler pieces until it fits.
What is that old saying abut measuring twice and cutting once. !! …

Just in case Y 'all have not read it, go to the link that T. O'Heir listed as it is full of great information. I thank him for that !!!

Be Safe !!!
Old July 2, 2018, 11:08 AM   #12
FITASC

Rollin Oswald (who is mostly on Shotgunworld.com) has a book about stock fitting

https://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fitters.../dp/1451570384

It is an excellent resource.

(And no I get nothing for plugging it)
Old July 2, 2018, 09:57 PM   #13
Scorch

Quote:
I had my SxS stock cut and a pad fitted. I determined the length by bending my elbow 90* and measuring from the inside of the bend to my bent trigger finger.
Wow. Just wow. I can't believe people are still passing around stuff like that. But, oh well!

As a stock maker, I recommend taking it to someone who can check to see if it can be made to fit you properly.