The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 30, 2001, 05:47 AM   #1
Ewok_Guy

My good friend just bought a new Winchester 1300 Defender 12ga and now needs to sell his older 1300 Defender 8-shot w/rear and front pistol grips. She's in pretty great shape and he'd give me a pretty good deal on it. So I was just wondering what are your opinions on these guns? Does anyone have a Defender, if so do you know of any kind of accessories work well (various stocks, flash lights, slings, heat shields, shell carriers, fiber-optic sights, etc, etc..)? Also what kind of ammo will work well in this hog? It will mainly be used for home-defence and basic "blowing the crap out of stuff." So what I'm saying is I'd like to fully trick it out! So please give me your
tricking advice. Thanks for your help in advance. -E.
Old May 30, 2001, 06:04 AM   #2
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Any 12 Ga ammo will work fine. Check the barrel to confirm if it's chambered for 3 inch shells. If so you can use 3 inch loads too. (why I don't know)

I have a Side Saddle and a fiber optic (clamp on) front sight on mine.

Adjusting the nut behind the buttplate by shooting it bunches is the next and most important step.

Giz
Old May 30, 2001, 06:43 AM   #3
Tom B

I have the Winnie 1300 Defender and I like it as well as my Rem 870PM. I shoot Federal Tact and Estate 00 2.75in buckshot. I get my Fed Tact from ammoman.com and my Estate from Sportsman or any place I can find it on sale.
Old May 30, 2001, 07:48 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The Defender is not my favorite, but it works well. Less addons are available for this than the 870 or 500, but there should be enough out there in Gadgetland to keep you happy, or at least busy.

The Defenders I've fired worked every time I wanted them to.

One matter: Lose those pistol grips,unless you'd rather LOOK dangerous than BE dangerous. Lots of old threads on this....

More old threads on ammo, and....

Before burning up your Mastercard on bellsnwhistles, buy a messa ammo and shoot it up. Repeat until the piece feels like a body part instead of a tool. THEN, you'll have a good idea of what aftermarket stuff and modifications are needed, vs just wanted.

And finally, a totally stock Winchester Defender, Mossberg 500,or one of my cherished 870s is a close range defensive weapon of tremendous capabilities and flexibility. Get some competent training, go easy and you'll do fine....