The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 20, 2017, 10:05 AM   #1
robhic

LEE Factory Crimp Die

I know that this Lee die is not necessary and it's been stated numerous times in this forum. Can good results be had by crimping with the seater die? Yes, I've gotten decent with my roll crimps in .38/.357. But I got a factory crimp die cuz the price was right.

Since I've been using it, it/I have been turning out some really nice cartridges. IMO, it does a nice job of finishing the round off. I am glad I got that sucker. I doubt I'd bother for a second about using one for straight-walled cartridges, but for roll crimping it gives a nice touch! I would say recommended.
Old November 20, 2017, 10:08 AM   #2
Nathan

You should try the Redding Profile Crimp die. Very solid crimp with nice smooth process.
Old November 20, 2017, 02:10 PM   #3
45Colt_Man

Iv'e not tried the Redding but hear great reviews on them.

For the eight revolver cartridges I reload for I have the Lee Factory Crimp die for each. They give me a nice even crimp on everything I load. I don't use oversize bullets so I have never had bullet squeeze down to small. I only load lead bullets.

Dana
Old November 20, 2017, 03:04 PM   #4

I probably own a Lee Factory Crimp Die for everything I load for.

For some things, I think it is just the ticket. I don't use them all the time, but I think they are a quality product and I like them very much.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old November 20, 2017, 03:06 PM   #5
TailGator

I have one each for .380 and 9 mm, taper crimp of course. They came in the set and I have had no reason to replace them. I am open to correction by people who have had problems with them, but as I understand it the problems that arise are because of the die deforming soft lead bullets. If you are loading bullets that aren't susceptible to that because of either size or some degree of plating or jacket, the FCD works OK.
Old November 20, 2017, 03:13 PM   #6

If they are deforming lead bullets, you don't have it adjusted correctly.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old November 20, 2017, 03:19 PM   #7
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I probably own a Lee Factory Crimp Die for everything I load for.
No "probably" about it here.
Old November 20, 2017, 03:29 PM   #8
Nathan

I used to own one for everything I reloaded. . . .I sold the revolver ones for profile crimp dies and the auto pistols for taper crimp dies.

I did this because I tried the non-factory crimp dies to combat a looseness issue and it worked. . .fit my case gages fine too.
Old November 20, 2017, 04:06 PM   #9
robhic

Quote:
You should try the Redding Profile Crimp die. Very solid crimp with nice smooth process.
I'm not gonna guess on the price for one of those. I bought my 38/357 because I thought a good roll crimp from my RCBS die could only get better with the Lee. Plus ..... I got it on the cheap and probably wouldn't have done so if I'd had to pry my wallet open further!
Old November 20, 2017, 06:50 PM   #10
mikejonestkd

I use the Lee FLCD with a variety of handgun cartridges, and it is a handy tool.

another satisfied user here.
Old November 20, 2017, 07:24 PM   #11
Stats Shooter

I use a Lee Factory Crimp die on everything I crimp including 44 mag, stout 45-70 government loads, 223, AR-10 .308 loads, 40 S&w and more.

I don't crimp bolt action rifles.

But the rounds I crimp, I get outstanding results. I have no brand loyalty. If a company makes a good product in my opinion, I will praise it. If it is junk, I will say so.

I think a lot of Lee equipment is sub standard to put it mildly...But their factory crimp dies and their collet neck dies are outstanding, in many ways better than Redding or RCBS. Just like I think Dillon makes the best progressive presses in the business, but I dislike their seating dies.
Old November 22, 2017, 10:06 AM   #12
Rifletom

I like 'em. Use them for .38spl, .45auto and my 30-30. Makes life a little easier.
Old November 22, 2017, 10:43 AM   #13
Don Fischer

I've been loading cast handgun bullet's since about 1972. Never used anything other than the bullet seat die and never have had a problem. You would have to talk awful fast to get me to buy a tool I've no use for! :-)
Old November 22, 2017, 10:47 AM   #14
Nathan

Quote:
I'm not gonna guess on the price for one of those.
About $30 at Midwayusa.
Old November 22, 2017, 11:07 AM   #15
Nathan

Quote:
I've been loading cast handgun bullet's since about 1972. Never used anything other than the bullet seat die and never have had a problem. You would have to talk awful fast to get me to buy a tool I've no use for! :-)
I can appreciate your experience. It can be done without separate dies, but it is so much easier to setup separately on my progressive as separate dies.
Old November 22, 2017, 01:38 PM   #16
k4swb

I got a batch of big name plated bullets once that about 15% were either out of round or the plating had a thick spot on them. Didn't find that out until I had loaded 1000 even though I spot plunked occasionally. Just bad luck I guess. Instead of trying to pull them I decided to try a Lee FCD and ran all of them through it.
Fixed things right up.

I now use one simply because of the way the taper crimp adjusts. no need to screw the whole die in or out, just the crimp adjuster top.
Old November 22, 2017, 01:50 PM   #17
mikld

One problem when folks post about Lee Factory Crimp Dies is they fail to say what kind of FCD they're talking about. Two very distinct types; one is for handgun cartridges. (in my opinion a solution looking for a problem as in 30 years of reloading I have never needed to re-size a cartridge after I finished reloading it). The other is the FCD for rifle cartridges, a very good designed collet crimp basicly for rifle rounds. (Yes there are collet crimp dies available for some handgun cartridges and I have one for my 44s) Most of the post in reply don't state which die is being posted about either and the reader has to look to see in any cartridge was mentioned.

Have a very Happy Thanksgiving and God Bless!
Old November 22, 2017, 06:09 PM   #18
Carriertxv

I use Lee FCD on handgun cartridges because adjusting the crimp is so easy. The resizing ring never touches the case.
Old November 23, 2017, 07:53 AM   #19
Nathan

Quote:
I use Lee FCD ......The resizing ring never touches the case.
How do you do that?
Old November 23, 2017, 01:35 PM   #20
Mike38

I have found that in tight chambered match / target pistols, the Lee Factory Crimp die is a mandatory step. I expand my case mouths more than normal when reloading lead, and poly coated lead bullets to keep from "shaving" the lube or poly coating. To pass the "plunk test" I have to use the Lee FCD to iron out the brass.
Old November 25, 2017, 01:04 AM   #21
Reloader270

I like the Lee Factory Crimp Die for the reason that it smooths things up. Furthermore it will allow the case mouth of brass to last longer due to the method it uses to crimp.
Old November 25, 2017, 08:37 AM   #22
Real Gun

On revolver rounds, typically with purchased lead bullets, if a cartridge will not pass the gauge, recrimping often works, else I try the FCD with the stem removed. If that doesn't work, I pull the bullet. If it happens on more than one or a few, I reset the crimp die and seating depth after a good cleaning. I don't usually feel much resistance through the FCD sizing ring, so to say the bullet gets swaged or the neck tension is disturbed seems too melodramatic, a lack of objectivity.
Old November 25, 2017, 02:17 PM   #23
skinnedknuckles

I always enjoy these Lee FCD threads. They usually go off in two directions. First, a group goes off on whether it is better to seat and crimp in one step or two. Second, another group goes off on whether the crimp ring overworks lead bullets resulting in loss of proper fit to the bore of the handgun. Sometimes there is a third group who goes off on the idea that only sloppy, ham-fisted reloaders would possibly need such a tool. Then everyone goes back to their corners until the next time someone starts a similar thread.

I read every one of these threads because it is always interesting to see the logic behind the different choices, and I usually pick up something useful in every thread.

That said, maybe this would be good topic for a sticky thread since it always generates such spirited discussion?